Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 04:31:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690588
  • Total Topics: 118338
  • Online Today: 822
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Galloping Major's "Rangers with caps" as British Light Infantry?  (Read 4119 times)

Offline oabee

• Mad Scientist
I'm looking to add a unit or two of British Light Infantry to my French and Indian forces for skirmish-type rules, and after looking at the various options, was wondering if these fine fellows from Galloping Major (Rangers with caps) might pass muster:

So far in my search I have found Light Infantry figures from Redoubt, Front Line, and AW. Redoubt has no photos on their website  :-[, but the photos I have found of them on blogs look fine. Don't care much for Front Line and AW.

As to Galloping Major, I already have several units of theirs (settlers, Roger's Rangers, Provincials), plus I can obtain them here in the States, saving a bit in postage.

So all ye experts in the North American aspects of the Seven Years War, what say you? Given the vagaries of outfitting and maintaining troops in the great North American Wilderness, and given the proper colors, would these do?

I was talking aloud to myself. A habit of the old: they choose the wisest person present to speak to; the long explanations needed by the young are wearying.
Gandalf

Just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face.
Harry Dresden

Offline flags_of_war

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Flags of War
Re: Galloping Major's "Rangers with caps" as British Light Infantry?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2015, 11:36:59 PM »
I did just that exact thing for Lights. I wanted them in more campign style gear and these are just perfect for them.

Offline folnjir

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2015, 12:21:59 AM »
I agree, good idea. Don't know why I didn't think of it!

Offline Galloping Major

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • www.gallopingmajorwargames.com
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2015, 11:53:40 AM »
I remember seeing Flags of War's Rangers painted as Lights, very successful  :)
I would say yes, go ahead - Loyalhanna Outpost stock all our FIW figures in the US (for those who don't already know  ;)), and when I get some Light Infantry per se out, they'll fit in nicely.  :D

Cheers,
Lance

www.gallopingmajorwargames.com

Offline flags_of_war

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Flags of War
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2015, 02:30:25 PM »
Here is a pic of mine. Not the best pic. I don't seem to have take good pics of them yet.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Q9s_jZbYUEI/UffCEbPEBxI/AAAAAAAACHM/-DKNerpF37o/s1600/20130728_132947.jpg

Offline oabee

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2015, 12:42:16 AM »
Thanks for the comments, gents. Flags of War, like what you've done with your minis, and agree with Lance's praise.

Lance, thanks for chiming in on this. It looks like I'll be starting a new bit of correspondence--and commerce--with Keith in Pennsylvania.  :D My first Galloping Major units, however, predate Keith and came directly from you! With great service across the Atlantic, I might add.

Side note: Just visited Loyalhanna's neck of the woods in October, unknowingly missing the Fort Ligonier Days festivities by a week. Probably a good thing...my wife does not deal well with crowds.... :?

Mike
« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 12:43:57 AM by oabee »

Offline oabee

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2015, 01:02:13 AM »
 ???

It occurs to me that deciding on the use of a certain figure does not determine WHAT unit to represent. So more questions remain.

My first thought is to start with some of Gage's 80th Reg't. They certainly saw much service, especially alongside Roger's (and other) Rangers.

But there are other choices....

Thoughts, anyone? Advice?

Offline Galloping Major

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • www.gallopingmajorwargames.com
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2015, 03:16:41 PM »
???

My first thought is to start with some of Gage's 80th Reg't. They certainly saw much service, especially alongside Roger's (and other) Rangers.

But there are other choices....

Thoughts, anyone? Advice?

40th Foot work nicely for this, though just about any line regt's light company are possibilities. BTW, I will be doing the 80th, although I have only finished one figure so far  ;)

www.gallopingmajorwargames.com