Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 09, 2024, 03:01:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1696872
  • Total Topics: 118797
  • Online Today: 484
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Galloping Major Kickstarter: "Compagnies Franches de la Marine"  (Read 10732 times)

Offline GamesPoet

• Scientist
Re: Galloping Major Kickstarter: "Compagnies Franches de la Marine"
« Reply #60 on: July 15, 2017, 02:26:49 PM »
Looks like a wonderful selection being produced here, congrats!

Offline Galloping Major

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • www.gallopingmajorwargames.com
« Reply #61 on: July 16, 2017, 11:52:41 AM »
Thanks GamesPoet  :)

Below is the first sketch for a soldier of "La Marine" in coat for the Stretch goal of our Kickstarter, which is drawing very close to the target with 17 days still to go  :D

www.gallopingmajorwargames.com

Offline Dr DeAth

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Little Lead Men
« Reply #62 on: July 17, 2017, 02:42:17 PM »
Just upped my pledge to help with the stretch goal.

Photos of my recent efforts are at www.littleleadmen.com and https://beaverlickfalls.blogspot.com

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #63 on: July 17, 2017, 02:46:35 PM »
Just upped my pledge to help with the stretch goal.

Good man, I'm abou to do the same. ;)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Galloping Major

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #64 on: July 17, 2017, 05:10:18 PM »
Many thanks Gentlemen  :D

Here's my concept sketch for the figure which will go out free with all pledges of 4 packs or more of the stretch goal La Marine in coats - a Canadian militiaman scout.

Cheers,
Lance

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #65 on: July 17, 2017, 10:08:27 PM »
I like him, very excited about these figures, maybe more so than the British regulars. ;D

Offline Bowman

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #66 on: July 17, 2017, 11:16:57 PM »
Below is the first sketch for a soldier of "La Marine" in coat for the Stretch goal of our Kickstarter, which is drawing very close to the target with 17 days still to go  :D

Hi. I am also a KS supporter for this. But is there evidence that the Compagnie Franche de la Marine fought in these coats? I would have thought this was formal wear, like on the parade ground. Or that worn by officers in the field.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 11:19:12 PM by Bowman »
"This I have known ever since I stretched out my fingers to the abomination within that great gilded frame; stretched out my fingers and touched a cold and unyielding surface of polished glass." 

H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

Offline Galloping Major

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #67 on: July 18, 2017, 08:09:33 AM »
Hi. I am also a KS supporter for this. But is there evidence that the Compagnie Franche de la Marine fought in these coats? I would have thought this was formal wear, like on the parade ground. Or that worn by officers in the field.

:o Yes there is Bowman, this is the normal service dress for the Compagnies Franches, this is how the majority would have appeared in most larger engagements and how many were dressed for some lesser ones, also how they dressed for most day-to-day duties other than in the further flung outposts and on extended raids. I'm pretty sure that when numbers of companies were drawn together to form a batallion (as mentioned above, I think, 1757-61) this is how they would have appeared. The other two orders are different degrees of "stripped down" dress from this, there was as yet no special parade dress. "Small clothes" (coat removed) was normal for labouring tasks and particularly hot weather.

Interestingly enough we have one particularly strident fellow on TMP taking the opposite tack to you and insisting (not asking a sensible question like yourself) that Canadian clothes were never worn by the CF de la M, and that there is NO evidence that any of them wore the tuque.  lol

A big thank you for supporting the project  8) Please believe me that I do put a lot of research into any subject I tackle and I review all the options before commiting anything to green-stuff.  :D That doesn't mean that I don't find questions like yours both constructive and helpful, enabling me to better explain what I now realise I should have done earlier.   :)

In the case of the Compagnies Franches de la Marine I had noted that other manufacturers who had already released figures for these units had gone for their interpretation of one of these dress orders only, whichever one that was. I could conjecture that this is to keep it simple and cheaper, both in sculpting and the number of moulds required. The less moulds and options presented the more chances of turning a profit was always a maxim of the "old school" wargames manufacturers, but while it would be lovely to see some profits, minimising the choices is far from being one of my personal criteria. ;-) Some may say, with some justification, that were it so Galloping Major would already be offering more different troop types only less variety of each.  lol I know that a good many out there work on the principle of hitting a wargames period with a few swift releases and moving on; it isn't like that for those of us who have a strong attachment to the period in question and want to see justice done to it and as many choices as possible given to those who have developed an interest in it. I'm rambling a bit Chaps  ::)

The way I constructed the Kickstarter for the "La Marine" was to be able to offer backers the options of, initially two choices (or combinations) of the less formal attire, then of adding (or not) the more formal appearance more in the style of the army line troops, and then....  (coming soon) a little "icing on the cake".

Inevitably some will want to go with only one or two of the above three options for whatever reason, others, like myself, will want all the options and the ability of using them all together (either mixed or in easily identifiable sub-units - see an earlier posting) and to be able to choose which types to field for other occasions  :)

Sorry Bowman, I did intend to answer your question in a yup kind of way, but found myself exploring a lot further, I hope I haven't been self indulgent - at least it has given me pause lol and I hope that some have stayed with me to the conclusion  :`

Many thanks,
Lance

« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 08:12:51 AM by Galloping Major »

Offline Galloping Major

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #68 on: July 18, 2017, 02:05:35 PM »
I'm delighted to say we made it through the stretch goal with over a fortnight remaining, many thanks to all who've been supporting the project.  8)

I was far from certain that we would get there, but had in mind a couple of packs to create for a second stretch goal if that came about; reading and taking note of a couple of comments from different sources, I've decided on a third pack to go alongside these.

I'll also be producing another figure which will go out free to backers who pledge for 4 or more stretch goal 2 packs, I'm still contemplating on exactly what this figure will be, but I'm thinking he'll be an officer type for the soldiers in capots. The packs will be:

FIW FCF11: Compagnies Franches de la Marine in capots and bonnets.
FIW FCF12: Compagnies Franches de la Marine in capots and tuques.
FIW FCF13: Compagnies Franches de la Marine in coats advancing*.

* I have yet to conclude the last part of the above pack title, as I'm not 100% sure this covers it properly. The plan is that while some of these figures may be advancing with muskets held across their bodies, others may be moving a little more "tentatively", I may even include the "odd" standing figure. These could be used as a group of their own, or mixed in with some of the firing and loading stances to create a unit skirmishing in coats.

As with stretch goal 1, backers will be able to add the packs you want, in combinations of your choice at £9.75 + 75p extra shipping = £10.50 per pack.
The target for stretch goal 2 is £9500.00 and we still have more than two weeks to go.
 :)
Cheers All,
Lance

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #69 on: July 18, 2017, 04:08:24 PM »

Interestingly enough we have one particularly strident fellow on TMP taking the opposite tack to you and insisting (not asking a sensible question like yourself) that Canadian clothes were never worn by the CF de la M, and that there is NO evidence that any of them wore the tuque.  lol

Yes I saw that, what a charming individual ;) lol Are you not going to put him straight?

More figures and stretch goal 3, you're a bad man Lance! Now where did I put my wallet :D ;D

Offline Galloping Major

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #70 on: July 18, 2017, 06:46:06 PM »
Yes I saw that, what a charming individual ;) lol Are you not going to put him straight?

More figures and stretch goal 3, you're a bad man Lance! Now where did I put my wallet :D ;D

:D

I've been trying to Nick, but despite being a supporting member, I haven't been able to make comments  ::) >:(

I'll have to chase them up again tomorrow.

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #71 on: July 18, 2017, 10:47:50 PM »
:D

I've been trying to Nick, but despite being a supporting member, I haven't been able to make comments  ::) >:(

I'll have to chase them up again tomorrow.

No doubt whatever you say will be wrong, he sounds like one who won't take it lightly!

Offline Dr DeAth

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Little Lead Men
« Reply #72 on: July 19, 2017, 12:05:47 AM »
I'm delighted to say we made it through the stretch goal with over a fortnight remaining, many thanks to all who've been supporting the project.  8)

I was far from certain that we would get there, but had in mind a couple of packs to create for a second stretch goal if that came about; reading and taking note of a couple of comments from different sources, I've decided on a third pack to go alongside these.

Cheers All,
Lance

I'm delighted to say I'm going to cite you in my Bankruptcy and Divorce proceedings!   lol

Offline Dr DeAth

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Little Lead Men
« Reply #73 on: July 19, 2017, 12:27:24 AM »
Hope this is ok to post here Lance, seems relevant to the subject.

I visited Fort Ligonier ( http://fortligonier.org/ ) a few weekends back on the recommendation of fellow LAFer Sterling Moose.  This picture, showing French Marines preparing to attack the fort, was hanging in the Museum

Offline Galloping Major

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #74 on: July 19, 2017, 09:12:28 AM »
Hope this is ok to post here Lance, seems relevant to the subject.

Very much OK Mark, these are great, nice to see those detail crops as well, especially the one showing the soldiers piling their campaign bags etc., I was thinking of adding some piles of equipment to some of the packs - that has clinched it  8)

Cheers,
Lance