Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 11:06:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689655
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Latest inspiring movie received  (Read 217701 times)

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
Latest inspiring movie received
« Reply #45 on: October 31, 2007, 08:12:02 PM »
Yeah, the dreaded GLUE MAN!!!![/size] My sidekick Sickly is a fan of the Glue Man, I think he wants to be him when he grows up.

I agree, "Went the Day Well" is another excellent film made during the war.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #46 on: October 31, 2007, 09:26:23 PM »
Quote from: "Plynkes"
Yeah, the dreaded GLUE MAN!!!![/size] My sidekick Sickly is a fan of the Glue Man, I think he wants to be him when he grows up.

I agree, "Went the Day Well" is another excellent film made during the war.

These are guilty pleasures for me now as my little girls cry Urghh Daddy why no colour on the TV or yuck old peoples films :mrgreen:

Offline xeoran

• Scientist
« Reply #47 on: October 31, 2007, 10:54:11 PM »
Lowtardog, that's another Powell/Pressburger film. In the UK it is called "A Matter of Life and Death" and "Stairway to Heaven" was the US title.

That and "Went the Day Well" are absolute classics. Love 'em to bits. Its a pity the US War films of the era are so naff: Everyone stay well away from "Guadacanal Diary", its poorly acted, has no story, bad action and is unbelievably racist to boot! The only decent scene is the one at the end where they line up about 10 Stuarts and just charge them across the set.
"'Reality,' sa molesworth 2, 'is so unspeakably sordid it make me shudder.'"- Nigel Molesworth

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
« Reply #48 on: October 31, 2007, 10:56:33 PM »
Objective Burma! is a good American war film, shot during the war with some excellent glider footage at the end.

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
« Reply #49 on: November 01, 2007, 11:19:03 PM »
Got this today and made the family watch it  :lol:

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #50 on: November 01, 2007, 11:21:40 PM »
Ah, an old favourite from my childhood. Terry Thomas, Benny Hill, and Gert Fröbe in a Pickelhaube.

What more could you possibly want?

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
« Reply #51 on: November 01, 2007, 11:28:18 PM »
Quote from: "xeoran"
Aaargh! Curse of the Golden Flower!  :x  I've got to warn you- its schockingly bad. A great example of a lush, money coloured film with no soul. Also some fairly disturbing ethics on display.

I have watched it and must agree. Visually superb, but that doesn't make up for how bad it is, and neither does the big battle at the end. None of the characters is remotely likeable either, except maybe for the middle son whose motives at least seem less selfish.

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #52 on: November 01, 2007, 11:28:57 PM »
a very good movie, matakishi, need that DVD too  :love:

and here comes something for the long painting winter afternoons  8)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #53 on: November 02, 2007, 01:31:04 AM »
Ah, an old favourite from my childhood. Terry Thomas, Benny Hill, and Gert Fröbe in a Pickelhaube.

What more could you possibly want?

Well, you could opt for Benny Hill, Benny Hill and Benny Hill. That would, at least, be my choice.

Offline xeoran

• Scientist
« Reply #54 on: November 02, 2007, 11:46:11 AM »
Quote from: "white knight"
I have watched it and must agree. Visually superb, but that doesn't make up for how bad it is, and neither does the big battle at the end. None of the characters is remotely likeable either, except maybe for the middle son whose motives at least seem less selfish.

Absolutely. Did you spot the camer muck up in the battle (beardy talk)? They show 5 camera angles of archers when considering its a square it should only be four. Naughty editor! (Yes, I have a job where that sort of thing is exciting...)

Those Magnificent Men is fantastic. Have to look out for Operation Burma.[/i]

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #55 on: November 03, 2007, 02:12:12 PM »
My Powell and Pressburger binge continues:

Another slightly bonkers film in which an RAF pilot is forced to jump from his burning plane without a parachute, but due to some kind of error "upstairs" falls to earth totally unharmed. When the fault is discovered he is forced to try and convince the powers that be to let him stay on earth, because he has fallen in love with an American girl, and doesn't want to go yet. He is undergoing brain surgery to save his life, so you are never really sure whether the fantasy elements are merely hallucinations caused by his brain injury or not.

And another:

Another bizarre offering from P&P. In wartime Britain a British Tommy, a Land Girl and a GI team up Scooby Doo-fashion to solve the mystery of the "Glue Man", a mysterious figure attacking girls at night and putting glue in their hair. The chap playing the GI was an actual GI rather than a proper actor, and I think he does a bang-up job, that being considered. I don't think he was ever in anything else afterwards. Shame, really.

All it needs is the Glue Man to say at the end "..And I would have gotten away with it too, if it hadn't been for these pesky, meddling kids!"

Both these films were propaganda pieces made to try and foster good UK-US relations, at a time when the huge influx of American military personnel was causing quite a bit of tension and resentment in Britain. How well they could have succeeded in this is debatable, as they are pretty mental (the second one especially).

Right, for a refreshing change of pace, a good friend of mine gave me this last night as a late birthday present. Just finished watching it:

I absolutely loved it. Some slightly annoying Tarantino-isms, but otherwise a return to form in my book.

Mind you, it has Rosario Dawson in it, and I just love her. I will watch any old tripe and enjoy it if she's in it (up to and including "Pluto Nash.")

This settles it, Dark Future is on the agenda again. I want to play something with fast cars!

Edited for spelling mistakes.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #56 on: November 03, 2007, 02:37:33 PM »

Mind you, it has Rosario Dawson in it, and I just love her. I will watch any old tripe and enjoy it if she's in it (up to and including "Pluto Nash.")

Couldn't agree with you more. She not a classical beauty, even a bit "unusual" looking, which makes her even more attractive, or in fact SMOKIN' hot! *sizzle sound*

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
« Reply #57 on: November 03, 2007, 03:03:21 PM »
There were many, many Tarantino-isms in Death proof  :lol:
I still enjoyed most of it, and thanks to Death Proof I have just watched Gone in 60 Seconds (the original 1973 film, not the Angelina Jolie bollox) which is a mental film with one of the best endings ever.

The basic plot is about a group of car thieves trying to complete a huge 'steal to order' commission. The film was written by, directed by and starred H.B. Halicki, a stunt man who just wanted to make a car film. Everyone else in the film is played by friends of his (pretty well too). There are many funny bits and it offers a wonderful view of the fashions and attitudes of early 70s America.
I love the bikers :lol:

The film is fairly normal until 40 minutes from the end when the final car chase begins where it seems the idea was to wreck as many cars as possible  :)

The chase lasts until the final credits. Fantastic film! If you plan to see it, don't look at any spoilers first though, knowing the nding will ruin it.

as an aside, aficionados are complaining that the original music score is gone which contained many songs of the time. Whilst I would have liked to hear it I didn't find my enjoyment spoiled by the new music. I imagine copyrights had a lot to do with the removal of the original.

Offline Rugland

• Assistant
« Reply #58 on: November 03, 2007, 04:46:23 PM »
I saw this one last evening at a friend. Where nice. Clint Eastwood firing MP40 submaschine guns in each hand simultaneously   :love:

Arkham, Dunwich; Arkham, Dunwich -
filled with haunting fears
Neighbors who hide up in the attics
inbreeding happily for years...

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #59 on: November 03, 2007, 05:00:05 PM »
It is pretty much compulsory to like "Where Eagles Dare" if you want to fit in at Lead Adventure!  :)

The two-gun scene is my favourite part.