Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 10:36:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Latest inspiring movie received  (Read 218069 times)

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Latest inspiring movie received
« Reply #285 on: August 21, 2008, 08:58:52 AM »
Helen! You're back! We've missed you and your grey towel!

I shall have a look arround. I know a sordid little Finlander who runs a whole-in-the-wall radio store in Old Town, Stockholm. He has a unmatched assortment of Suomi blue and war movies.

Edit: the official release in Sweden (which cannot be far behind Finlands since Swedish is still an official language there) is August 27. I must have a Finnish market copy. You can get it from www.discshop.se. Or I can buy it for you and send it your way. I believe it has English subtitles.

You're in for a treat!

Hi Peder,

Thankyou for your reply. I'm in hibernation at the moment and if you could do me a favour an arrange to pickup a copy that would be very nice. Just let me know the overall damage.

I'm awaiting AGN to release the Stug III which would be good for the battle.

By the way, I was over Michael Broadbent's and Ailsa's place the other week for dinner and I saw the U-Boat deck armaments an it's a real winner. Now they are a real treat!  8)

Thanks again for your offer.

Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #286 on: August 21, 2008, 09:14:22 AM »
I most certainly will take care of that for you.

By the way, did you see that Anglian makes a Bofors AT gun to? It's a very nice cast.

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #287 on: August 21, 2008, 12:38:51 PM »

By the way, did you see that Anglian makes a Bofors AT gun to? It's a very nice cast.

Thankyou Peder,

Yes I did see that Anglian made the Bofors and you are very correct, it's lovely! I've a couple of the BAM bofors which I found very nicely done. The crew just needed a little extra attention.  8)

Thankyou once again.

Offline Mancha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Hinterland Miniatures
« Reply #288 on: August 22, 2008, 07:40:28 AM »
A Very Long Engagement

Wow, what a great movie.  I found it at the local Blockbuster in the new releases section, but it’s a French movie from 2004, I believe.  I’ve searched for it among the LAF threads, but found no mention, so, in the hopes I’m not performing “a colonel” (see FUUK), I’m citing it now.

In the movie a woman searches for her fiancée, a French soldier, presumably killed in a notorious forward trench in WWI.  The trench warfare scenes, sprinkled throughout the movie, are pretty amazing, and the woman’s attempts to solve the mystery of her lover’s death keep the story interesting.  Throughout the movie I was struck by the sort of pulpy derring-do, impossible events, unlikely heroes (and heroines), follow-the-trail quality; it was as if a pulp game had been squashed into the current WWI fad.

I was also reminded of how French films are so different from American films (although this one had an unexpected American actress among the cast), in that French films allow of seemingly inconsequential, irrelevant events.  The woman is sleeping with her lover, his hand on her breast, when a spider descends onto his cheek.  In an American movie something absolutely consequential, if not terrifying, would have happened at this moment.  In the French movie, the man brushes away the spider and places his hand back on his lover’s breast.  Entertaining, but hardly momentous.  Ya gotta love it.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #289 on: August 22, 2008, 08:10:11 AM »
Yes, a very good film. I like that French Art House style

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
« Reply #290 on: August 22, 2008, 08:33:11 AM »
I have it on DVD. Lovely movie. The original title is "un long dimanche de fillançailles". It's by the makers of "Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain" (also starring Audrey Tautou) and "La cité des enfants perdus" ("city of the lost children", a dark, retro, pulp twisted fairytale starring Ron Perlman, also recommended).

Online Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #291 on: August 22, 2008, 08:54:13 AM »
Bit of a silly film I thought, but very enjoyable nonetheless. I liked the Edith Piaf woman, murdering her way seemingly through the entire French officer corps. She should have had her own film.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #292 on: August 22, 2008, 08:59:25 AM »
Besides her, I always thought her paramour, the Corsican souteneur, was one of the more interesting characters in the film. The way he made her spit on the blade before he jabbed that man in the ass...I don't know, it had such style!

Offline Mancha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Hinterland Miniatures
« Reply #293 on: August 22, 2008, 03:36:13 PM »
The only problem I had with the movie was a certain difficulty keeping the male characters straight.  This was due, largely, to their French names (many of which, it seems to me in retrospect, began with the letter B), which I found difficult to sort out.  Additionally, it seems like about half of the male characters had the same bushy mustache (and, of course, were wearing the same uniform and helmet).  Often, seemingly irrelevant characters from early in the film became central characters later, and I often found myself wondering if I should backtrack to identify the mustache.

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #294 on: August 24, 2008, 02:49:15 PM »
I’ve seen this film when it when out in theatre and I also own it on DVD. I really like it. I must admit that I was first interested in the battle scenes but the whole movie is great, if somehow twisted (in a good way). I don’t know if all the version have it but did you saw the “making-off”… I was amaze to see how much time it take to dig up stuntman for a staged trench explosion and how nerve breaking it was for the film crew… Now I can imagine how soldiers felt when it happened in real life. :o

...it seems like about half of the male characters had the same bushy mustache (and, of course, were wearing the same uniform and helmet).  Often, seemingly irrelevant characters from early in the film became central characters later, and I often found myself wondering if I should backtrack to identify the mustache.

Well the French soldier of the Great War were not called "poilu" for nothing.  lol
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #295 on: August 31, 2008, 09:37:16 AM »

Thankyou Peder,

Thankyou once again.

I have aquired this film for you, Helen. I will send it to you promptly. If anyone else is interested but can't find it I can help out. It's circa 20 Euro.

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #296 on: August 31, 2008, 01:23:53 PM »

Thankyou Peder,

Thankyou once again.

I have aquired this film for you, Helen. I will send it to you promptly. If anyone else is interested but can't find it I can help out. It's circa 20 Euro.

You are a star Peder! Many thanks my friend.  8)

Online Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #297 on: August 31, 2008, 11:45:06 PM »
Out of Africa was on TV this afternoon. I had never seen this before. Now this must surely qualify as an 'inspiring movie' as it caused me to abandon all the Great War stuff I was doing and spend the rest of the day painting Masai, Ngoni, Dorobo and an elephant.

I do wish I could keep my mind on one project at a time.

They did miss a trick though, setting the film in British East during the Great War, even mentioning the war quite a bit, and yet totally failing to have any action scenes regarding it. Oh well.

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #298 on: September 01, 2008, 12:16:18 AM »
Out of Africa was on TV this afternoon. I had never seen this before. Now this must surely qualify as an 'inspiring movie' as it caused me to abandon all the Great War stuff I was doing and spend the rest of the day painting Masai, Ngoni, Dorobo and an elephant.

I do wish I could keep my mind on one project at a time.

They did miss a trick though, setting the film in British East during the Great War, even mentioning the war quite a bit, and yet totally failing to have any action scenes regarding it. Oh well.

Great movie Dylan. I enjoy anything on Africa an I recently saw your compilation of fine art on TMP too.

I must get back into my Africa project once I finish off our project for Palestine for December. Oh too many projects plus research and reading 8)

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
« Reply #299 on: September 04, 2008, 02:53:44 AM »

I saw this movie for the first time a couple of months ago.  It was great!  I was already primed for the East Africa topic by reading Bartle Bull's book "White Rhino Hotel" and by watching the six hours of the Mystery! series "Heat of the Sun."  That was a great series!  Too bad there was only six hours of it.  IMDB link:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0138966/
Sailors have more fun!