Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 02:08:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690462
  • Total Topics: 118332
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: A few Reds  (Read 3251 times)

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
A few Reds
« on: May 14, 2011, 07:20:06 AM »
Finally, my Whites have something to shoot at!

A mix of Brigade and Copplestone figures, not sure which are which at this point, as they were bought in a mixed batch from Bravo Six here on LAF. Nice figures, anyway, lots of character and easy to paint.

The uniforms are a deliberate mix of shades and colours, to give them that ragged wartorn look - and, as I think Mark said here, the Whites get shoulderboards and other colour, so we've got to do something to keep the Reds from being boring!

There's a standard bearer and another dozen or so riflemen still to paint, a nice little RCW/BoB skirmish unit, and possibly the core of a larger BoB Red force eventually.

There's a bit more detail over on The Warbard.

Offline General Roos

• Mastermind
Re: A few Reds
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 08:10:42 AM »
Very nice. Looks like you have yourself a little russian civil war now.
Current projects:
A Fistful of Kung Fu

Offline Bravo Six

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 07:48:18 PM »
Excellent work Brian!  :o

-Todd

Offline Boggler

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 09:35:11 PM »
Nice  :)

Offline Mr.J

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2011, 11:17:55 PM »
A nice little unit you have there great job.

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2011, 09:19:04 AM »
Thanks, folks. Glad you like them, I'm pleased with how they painted up, especially the faces. Must go back and do the eyes soon - the Commisar needs a bit of cleanup around his glasses, too.

Having just had a rummage through both Copplestone's & Brigade's websites, the Commisar is from Brigade's "Trotsky's Red Guard Command" pack, the officer with pistol and sword is from Copplestone's "Bolshevik Officers" pack, the standard bearer (not yet painted) is from Copplestone's "Bolshevik Commissars" pack, and I'm no closer to figuring out which rifleman came from which company, as they all look very similar. I know a lot of the regular figures are Copplestone - Todd mentioned the Red Insurgents pack as one source when he put them up for sale here on LAF.

For anyone wondering about compatibilty between companies, this is good news - the Brigade and Copplestone stuff goes together seamlessly. Unlike Copplestone's British, which are stupidly huge... what happened there?

Offline Remington

• Mastermind
  • Who? Where? Say what now?
    • The Doc's Diary
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 12:15:22 AM »
Cool stuff there, Wirelizard! Dunno what went wrong with the British Copplestone miniatures, but I was very glad their Bolsheviks are compatible with Brigade. The Brigade sailors provide some much needed variety.

Offline Arthur

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011, 11:49:36 PM »
Thanks, folks. Glad you like them, I'm pleased with how they painted up, especially the faces. Must go back and do the eyes soon - the Commisar needs a bit of cleanup around his glasses, too.

Having just had a rummage through both Copplestone's & Brigade's websites, the Commisar is from Brigade's "Trotsky's Red Guard Command" pack, the officer with pistol and sword is from Copplestone's "Bolshevik Officers" pack, the standard bearer (not yet painted) is from Copplestone's "Bolshevik Commissars" pack, and I'm no closer to figuring out which rifleman came from which company, as they all look very similar. I know a lot of the regular figures are Copplestone - Todd mentioned the Red Insurgents pack as one source when he put them up for sale here on LAF.

For anyone wondering about compatibilty between companies, this is good news - the Brigade and Copplestone stuff goes together seamlessly. Unlike Copplestone's British, which are stupidly huge... what happened there?

The riflemen all look like Copplestone figures to me.

Re the Copplestone Brits scale creep, I remember reading somewhere that this was caused by Mark's eyesight problems a few years back, which resulted in him increasing the size of his dolls for greater ease of sculpting. I can't vouch for the accuracy of that particular factoïd, but it doesn't seem totally absurd.

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2011, 05:06:40 AM »
The riflemen all look like Copplestone figures to me.

Re the Copplestone Brits scale creep, I remember reading somewhere that this was caused by Mark's eyesight problems a few years back, which resulted in him increasing the size of his dolls for greater ease of sculpting. I can't vouch for the accuracy of that particular factoïd, but it doesn't seem totally absurd.

Interesting. So is his most recent stuff - the Glory of the Sun 17th Century range - as gigantic as the BoB/WW1 Brits? I've never seen the GotS stuff in the pewter.

Offline Arthur

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2011, 11:07:12 AM »
The Glory of the Sun figures are tall but less so than the BoB British infantry. They also have better anatomical proportions, being more slender and not quite as bulky (oversized hands and heads tend to be a bit of a problem with the aforementioned Brits).