Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:57:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Chicken Race on the Arumbaya  (Read 380090 times)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
Re: Chicken Race on the Arumbaya
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2011, 11:22:36 AM »
Don't get me wrong, I would definitely prefer a "looks and feels right" approach to number-crunching realism myself.

That said, a top speed of 24" might not be too out of place for the steam launches. Without unnecessarily complicating things, one might just have ALL vessels be able to move the same maximum speed, but add some "restraining element", for example, a higher chance to hit a snag or shallows at higher speeds? This could increase excitement while forcing players into some tradeoff decisions.

Another idea I had, although I am not sure if I will add them to the gunboat rules, would be to "share out" the ships movement, i.e. have the players set a speed during turn plotting (1-6", 6.1-12", 12.1-18", 18.1-24") and then move each vessel at the same time after each regular unit activation bound for an appropriate fraction of their movement. So, if each side had three "regular" units, the maximum number of activation bounds (# of cards in the unit card stack) would be three. If a vessel was set to move 18" in a turn, this would mean it would move 6" after each infantry bound is completed.

This somehow removes the vessels from the normal activation stack and makes them more akin to "moving terrain pieces". I think it would be most suitable to the large, lumbering vessels, whereas the smaller ones could be moved more like "land" vehicles.

Interesting. I shall proceed to digesting this idea.

Offline Centaur_Seducer

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Gubbspel
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2011, 12:15:20 PM »
First of all, I'll let that insult about people from Göteborg slip, just this once...

And, I think that The Westphalian idea is great. Full thrust is a great set of rules that use pre-plotted movement, and it does bring a lot of fun :)
May I suggest that you go for both ideas with the river? A very long table and new terrain that pops up! :) You can easily make it easier for yourself by snaking the whole river.

Just some ideas.

Offline Remington

• Mastermind
  • Who? Where? Say what now?
    • The Doc's Diary
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2011, 01:27:08 PM »
Nice one! Although a bit plain, when you're done with the African Queen I am sure it'll look great. Don't forget that HLBS are selling a wooden raft at the moment for all your shipwreck needs. :D

Looking forward to the converted rescue boats. I wasn't aware of that kit but it sure looks promising.

Offline Mancha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Hinterland Miniatures
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2011, 07:02:25 PM »
This idea really intrigues me.  I've always enjoyed watching objects come together in a build thread, and I'm even more pleased to be watching an entire game come together.  Although I'm obviously unable to participate in the resulting game in person, I'd like to participate in spirit.  And so, with Hammers' okay, I present four of my team of sailors:

As they're in the environs of the mighty Arumbaya, I decided they needed substantially more facial hair than what God (and Lon at Brigade) gave them.  I also intend to put together a steam boat of some sort, probably along the lines of the African Queen.

And Hammers, I searched for more pics of your Cacafuego, but couldn't find any.   Can you point me to a thread, or share more pics?

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2011, 07:53:34 PM »
Cool, Mancha! All my Brigade sailors are on the SS Xantippe. There is no thread with the Cacafuego. I have previously only shown her in that LPL entry. Be patient and she'll make an appearance in this thread, warts and all.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 07:15:58 PM by Hammers »

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2011, 03:11:46 AM »
I have the variants of those Brigade sailors with the drum-mag Thompson, they're great figures, not fancy but well cast and sculpted. I like the mustachios, muttonchops and apron, great additions.

One thing I'll throw out about boat movement is that it's always a bit odd when a vehicle's "fast" move is actually shorter than it's own length. That spaceship game by Spartan Games suffers from this with the biggest models, their fast move is only 2/3rds the length of the model! Given that Cacafeugo is about 13" long, I'd make it's maximum speed at least a few inches longer than that, so that at full steam it really does feel like it's moving, at least!

(also, I finally parsed "Cacafuego" with my humour filter set to "pulp". Shitfire!)

Offline Mancha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Hinterland Miniatures
« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2011, 03:26:38 AM »
I have the variants of those Brigade sailors with the drum-mag Thompson,...

I didn't know there was a drum magazine variant.  Oh man.    :(

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2011, 05:44:13 AM »
I didn't know there was a drum magazine variant.  Oh man.    :(

I have the those to. More 1920s-30s, I thought.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2011, 07:32:45 AM »
(also, I finally parsed "Cacafuego" with my humour filter set to "pulp". Shitfire!)

That joke is a bit older than Pulp:
>>Link<<
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2011, 09:06:17 AM »
Ah, yes... Interesting to read that it should really be Cagafuego. Cacafuego seams to translate 'shit on fire', as a Old West horse chips campfire or a severe case of indigestion.

But Cacafuego is firmly rooted in popular history, so the Cacafuego my steamer remains.

Now about the motor launches of the HMS Reckless...

A progress shot (from the hip):

The models come together pretty well. They are old sprues and quite simplistic which in my experience vouches for a pretty sturdy wargaming model. They probably don't look like any real RN ships barge but hopefully close enough.  I had to sacrifice an midship engine compartment to get enough space for a crew of about 8 miniatures on 25mm washers.

There is a thing  I am in two minds about, should I include a screen (bluetacked onto the right model) or leave it without? The frames of the screen are a bit crude and without, perhaps, it looks a bit more business like. Decisions, decisions...

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2011, 09:19:06 AM »
Looking good.
I like the screen in place. I just looks right, some how.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2011, 09:20:24 AM »
There is a thing  I am in two minds about, should I include a screen (bluetacked onto the right model) or leave it without? The frames of the screen are a bit crude and without, perhaps, it looks a bit more business like. Decisions, decisions...

Difficult decision, indeed. With a screen, it does look a bit more modern, so possibly more suitable for the 1920s/30s setting, but as you say, the actual part is a bit clunky. I wonder if you would want to go through the trouble of, say, drilling two tiny holes in the canopy, adding wire plugs to the screens, and build a handling rail as well so you could switch them depending on what you fancy.

Apart from that, the models are looking really nice and suitable. I am very much looking forward to seeing them completed. I assume you'll be adding some machine details to the front canopy, and wooden planking to the holds?

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2011, 10:01:56 AM »
Difficult decision, indeed. With a screen, it does look a bit more modern, so possibly more suitable for the 1920s/30s setting, but as you say, the actual part is a bit clunky. I wonder if you would want to go through the trouble of, say, drilling two tiny holes in the canopy, adding wire plugs to the screens, and build a handling rail as well so you could switch them depending on what you fancy.

Apart from that, the models are looking really nice and suitable. I am very much looking forward to seeing them completed. I assume you'll be adding some machine details to the front canopy, and wooden planking to the holds?

There will definitely be teak/mahogany planking on the deck, the coffee stirrers are already stained. I am not going to go all out with the models though. I want to keep them  practical as I'd rather see the the project going forward than getting bogged down with  super detailing (to use an extreme to get a point through). There is an anchor in each kit, a ships bell and a life saver ('frälsarkrans' to use a to most of you completely obscure but to us a rather apt an funny nautical term in Swedish).

It'd be nice to add a feature like a water spew...

...for the cooling but unless one goes through the whole trouble of sculpting the spew it will probably just look like a hole (to use an other example of the compromises one have to make to be practical).

I am going to add life lines....

...along the gunwale sine it is easy to make and emblematic for life boats/navy launches.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 10:06:42 AM by Hammers »

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2011, 10:11:31 AM »
There will definitely be teak/mahogany planking on the deck, the coffee stirrers are already stained. I am not going to go all out with the models though. I want to keep them  practical as I'd rather see the the project going forward than getting bogged down with  super detailing (to use an extreme to get a point through). There is an anchor in each kit, a ships bell and a life saver ('frälsarkrans' to use a to most of you completely obscure but to us a rather apt an funny nautical term in Swedish).

I damn well hope those centuries of missionary work did not go amiss and you vicious vikings now use that term (it's another term for "rosary", isn't it?) instead of praying to the heathen deities of old when Aegir sends a wave to invite you to some drinking feast... ;)

I agree, you don't want to go overboard with details (*zing*). They only tend to get in the way and snap off, although the three you list should be small enough to fit while conveying suitable "nauticity", I guess.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2011, 10:18:30 AM »
I damn well hope those centuries of missionary work did not go amiss and you vicious vikings now use that term (it's another term for "rosary", isn't it?) instead of praying to the heathen deities of old when Aegir sends a wave to invite you to some drinking feast... ;)

No, it's not a rosary (...I think. I am indeed a heathen, or rather a rationalist, so I am a bit fuzzy on the terms) but a term for the crown of Some Peoples Lord and Saviour wore on the cross. Frälsare = Saviour, Krans = wreath, ergo 'saviour's wreath'... See what they did there...? :)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 07:18:32 AM by Hammers »