Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:04:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686476
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Chicken Race on the Arumbaya  (Read 380084 times)

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
Re: Chicken Race on the Arumbaya
« Reply #60 on: June 01, 2011, 02:40:39 PM »
Can you buy the Mega Minis ones separately? In the catalogue I have you get two in a job lot with a bunch of other birds that I frankly have no use for.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #61 on: June 01, 2011, 02:48:16 PM »
Can you buy the Mega Minis ones separately? In the catalogue I have you get two in a job lot with a bunch of other birds that I frankly have no use for.

You can. They're a dollar forty-three a pop. There may even be a lot of five deal which I can't be bothered looking for.

http://freeboardgamesnow.com/birdflamingo.aspx

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #62 on: June 02, 2011, 07:23:34 AM »
So in parallel with building  the RN motor launches (which are coming  along all right, thank you!) I've been painting some tupi warriors. I've been sifting the Cloud for a suitable design for tupi shield designs but I have come up with precious little. The one thing I did find is weave designs where various plant fibres are used for bags and rugs. Using these patterns on shields is of course pure guess work but style wise they may look OK.

Photographing WIP minis also makes one see what one need to amend, in this case the lines need to be straightened.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 07:24:23 AM by Hammers »

Offline Centaur_Seducer

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Gubbspel
« Reply #63 on: June 02, 2011, 08:20:10 AM »
I think that you're focusing on the wrong thing here, Hammers lol
Just because its done by hand, it doesn't automatically means that its all straight.
I like it, and I bet that noone, except all those that are following this thread, would point out that the shield design isn't straight enough ;)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #64 on: June 02, 2011, 08:31:01 AM »
I think that you're focusing on the wrong thing here, Hammers lol
Just because its done by hand, it doesn't automatically means that its all straight.
I like it, and I bet that no one, except all those that are following this thread, would point out that the shield design isn't straight enough ;)

That's where we disagree, I think. My philosophy is that while no one will pay attention to an individual lines or even miniatures, they over all attention to details will be noticed in a game. It's also one of the things which enhances a gaming experience. Therefore I do think about such things as much as time allows me. From a subjective stand point, my 'good enough' threshold is pretty high and I am rarely completely satisfied.

About the shield design, you don't see it very well on this miniature but the tupi are painted in very gay colours, due to the fact that they adorn themselves with the asses of macaws, toucans and hummingbirds. This tends to make them look like they are manning a float in the Rio Carnival. A more sombre shield designs tones this down a bit.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 12:01:04 PM by Hammers »

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #65 on: June 02, 2011, 08:38:09 AM »
That figure is looking great, especially how the skintones work with the colours of the equipment. I agree, though, that the shield pattern could do with some tidy-up work. I am unsure whether you should highlight the actual pattern areas, but cleaning out the edges with some of the lighter paint would improve it, I hazard to guess.

Getting some custom decals done (or printing them yourself) would go a bit far, probably... ;)

Offline Centaur_Seducer

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Gubbspel
« Reply #66 on: June 02, 2011, 08:40:48 AM »
That's where we disagree, I think. My philosophy is that while no one will pay attention to an individual lines or even miniatures, they over all attention to details will be noticed in a game. It's also one of the things which enhances a gaming experience. Therefore I do think about such things as much as time allows me. From a subjective stand point, my 'good enough' threshold is pretty high and I am rarely completely satisfied.
There's no doubt that you should overwork the details! That's the whole point with this hobby :)
What I meant was that your test pattern might be a variation on the original pattern, and thus it might give you some space to work with. And, its done by hand, so you painted up one of the lazy ones that just couldn't be bothered to do it as he was told :)

Would it be all wrong to do a "rainbow"-coloured shield? :)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #67 on: June 02, 2011, 08:43:06 AM »
That bag of lawn flamingos does look kind of promising. But I worry that they would look too much like the ornaments they're supposed to be and my African lake might end up feeling like a kitsch American suburban lawn. Nice amount in the bag, though. I wonder if you can get them over here?

A closer look reveals that these 'mingoes-inna-bag' are a bit on the crude side.

I really shouldn't have expected anything else, really. They may look OK if painted up decently and mounted in a group.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #68 on: June 02, 2011, 08:50:32 AM »
I don't think that is that bad. I wonder if you could do some simple conversions like the "single-leg pose" and maybe some different head angles.

I'm quite interested how you intend to do the multibase. I'd guess they'd be standing in shallow water, and maybe you could fringe the edges with long reeds to hide it on the water surface.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #69 on: June 02, 2011, 08:58:35 AM »
I don't think that is that bad. I wonder if you could do some simple conversions like the "single-leg pose" and maybe some different head angles.

I'm quite interested how you intend to do the multibase. I'd guess they'd be standing in shallow water, and maybe you could fringe the edges with long reeds to hide it on the water surface.

I am thinking I should rid them of the legs all together, replace them with  stiff brass or piano wire bent in the right angles and add a blob of epoxy glues for the knees. Then mount them in group s of five to ten on transparent, interlocking plastic bases.

Mind, this is not a priority sub-project. I am not sure how to use them in a game in a meaningful way. But I think they could look good.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 09:51:03 PM by Hammers »

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #70 on: June 02, 2011, 09:26:38 AM »
I am thinking I should rid them of the legs all together, replace them with  stiff brass or piano wire bent in the right angles and add a blob of piano wire for the knees. Then mount them in group s of five to ten on transparent, interlocking plastic bases.

Now that is the kind of commitment we've come to expect from you. lol

I did not want to suggest wholesale leg replacement surgery, but I agree it would very likely improve their overall impression dramatically.

The basing concept sounds good, too.

Mind, this is not a priority sub-project. I am not sure how to use them in a game in a meaningful way. But I think they could look good.

Yes, that's another one. Visual appeal is one thing, but if they also serve a game purpose, all the better. Maybe as random line-of-sight blockers (e.g. a unit that moves within, say, 6" of them, risks disturbing them)?

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #71 on: June 02, 2011, 09:35:43 AM »
Maybe as random line-of-sight blockers (e.g. a unit that moves within, say, 6" of them, risks disturbing them)?

...or a hail storm of flamingo shit as a vessel passes to close and disturbs the flock.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #72 on: June 02, 2011, 11:47:21 AM »
Chap second from the right, what is he wearing around his neck?

It looks like what the day officers in my Swedish Navy days was wearing, a 'ringkrage' or 'vaktbricka'. Is he the equivalent of a Tupi feldtpolizei, the type of captures and ushers AWOL Tupi warriors to the slammer?

Offline Centaur_Seducer

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Gubbspel
« Reply #73 on: June 02, 2011, 11:56:26 AM »
Maybe some glass beads they got for that useless piece of land that was bleeding black water? ;)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #74 on: June 02, 2011, 07:10:51 PM »
I have a collection of tiny frogs from various manufacturers, mostly Reaper, which I'd like to put to use as poison dart frogs. I can't quite decide whether to use them to adorn the bases of character figures or if they can be put in play some how. Thing is they seem to be so very timid and unobtrusive I wouldn't quite know how to make them change the turn of events in a game...