Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 06:11:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691485
  • Total Topics: 118393
  • Online Today: 609
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: How to glue GW Finecast resin?  (Read 5820 times)

Offline Willypold

• Scientist
How to glue GW Finecast resin?
« on: May 28, 2011, 06:28:50 PM »
Ok, I bought one of the new GW Finecast models today, a Pyrovore for my Tyranids. I don't like metal miniatures and really prefer plastics. The model looks great, it was really simple to clean up and everything, but both of my glue variants failed miserably. My trusty contact glue couldn't get a grip on things, and the super glue I have only managed to stick the tube to my work desk - no personal parts attached to themselves or any loose objects this time, fortunately!

So. What to do? What have I missed? Bad super glue? Special cleaning procedure? Wrong incantations read?

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
Re: How to glue GW Finecast resin?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 06:35:59 PM »
Strange - I used a more or less generic modelling thick liquid CA glue, and it worked like a charm, both when I had to match resin-to-resin and resin-to polystyrene (the base).

It may be that your glue has gone off, or that the climatic conditions weren't great (too humid or something, has affected me before).

Maybe try another brand of superglue. Plastic glue won't work at all.

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 06:39:51 PM »
cyanacrilic glue should work well, but i think it depends to the type of glue and resin...

a quite  common problem is related to the sweat coming of the resin, but i seriously hope that the GW resin is a good quality one! (being such expensive!)

Offline Brandlin

• Mad Scientist
    • Brandlin
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2011, 06:40:14 PM »
It might be the mould release on the rein. Wash everything in soap thoroughly first.

Superglue should do the job.

If not Im sure GW will be along any minute to sell you a £30 tube of "special citadel glue!" :)

Offline psyberwyche

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2011, 06:40:23 PM »
Superglue every time. I've worked with all kinds of resin, and picked up one of the new Finecast models. As long as you've got good contact points on the components, any thin, strong superglue should stick instantly. Good luck!

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2011, 06:41:42 PM »
If not Im sure GW will be along any minute to sell you a £30 tube of "special citadel glue!" :)

lol lol lol

it's funny because it's true! :)

Offline Willypold

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2011, 06:51:51 PM »
Considering the cost of the glue I tried and what I usually expect to pay for super glue it may be that the glue is sub-par... I'll see if I can get hold of another brand tomorrow. And thanks for the advice!

Offline Viper

• Mad Scientist
  • Sunny Scotland
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2011, 08:31:13 PM »
I don't mean to laugh at your misfortune but after publicly saying you picked up a pyrovore that you were more than happy with cast quality wise I think you tempted fate a little too much.
 :)

Yeah wash the model just in case it is a mould release problem, though to be honest for super glue to not stick at all it would likely have to be a noticeable amount of the release agent to the extent that it looked or felt greasy to the touch.

Which would lead me to think the glue is the problem ... unless GWs new stuff has an evolved version of the glue repelling qualities their metal miniatures seemed to display time and again.
 :?
Nemo me impune lacessit
Wha daur meddle wi' me?

Offline Willypold

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2011, 09:02:00 PM »
I've seen comments about bad castings and such, and was half expecting something really bad, but in this case there was not a single airbubble, nothing miscast, and crisp detailing throughout.

It would be interesting to find out the frequency of bad castings to good, though.

Right now I'm quite happy with my new little beast - which makes the old Biovores look like puppies next to it!

Offline Viper

• Mad Scientist
  • Sunny Scotland
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2011, 09:10:38 PM »
Yeah I'd be interested in finding that out too, naturally a lot of people will only make posts about problems they have had with the new models rather than if everything was fine so certainly at this early stage the negatives will probably be the more commonly reported.

Offline Johnno

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2011, 03:40:54 AM »
I once had the same problem but I hadn't washed the model first to remove the mold release agent... ::)
Yearly painting challenges only show me how useless I am at painting...

Offline Bako

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Loopy as a clock-work orange.
    • Hitting Dirtside
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2011, 04:06:21 AM »

I don't know, their $5 CAD super glue works wonders, and is far more viable option than any other uncommon glue in town here.
Everything is better with lizardmen.

Offline Verderer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2011, 10:45:07 AM »
I remember reading someplace that GW boasted of not using a release agent at all, therefore washing not necessary?

Not that I am in any way interested in this product line, looks like a fast way to ruin GW for good. I'd say RIP GW. Like Rackham before them, it's almost as if they're actually looking for a way to make suicide. Are they abandoning plastics too, or is this supplementing plastic production?

Offline psyberwyche

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2011, 11:41:24 AM »
Are they abandoning plastics too, or is this supplementing plastic production?

AFAIK they're moving to resin for single/ small run minis, and sticking with plastic for units and large kits, but dropping metals.

Offline Verderer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2011, 03:52:11 PM »
Ok, that makes more sense I guess, provided they can actually produce decent casts. So far it's not looking good. So this resin is not hazardous to your health then, unlike all other resins? ::)