Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 11:12:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Quar Royalist Tractor WIP Thread  (Read 4979 times)

Offline ErikB

• Mastermind
  • Sometimes I feel like Schroedinger's Cat
Quar Royalist Tractor WIP Thread
« on: June 14, 2011, 05:47:35 PM »
Hi All,

Here's my first pass at a Crusader Tractor.  I have not done the treads yet and am seriously considering rewriting the text as it falls downhill.

Any ideas for further markings and/or weathering would be greatly appreciated!

There is still a lot to do with it.

Vielen Dank!

Offline Mancha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Hinterland Miniatures
Re: Quar Royalist Tractor WIP Thread
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 09:15:17 PM »
Although I'm normally a fan of all things Quar, I can't decide if I like this Cheesewheel thingie.  All that open space around the sprockets looks kind of weird.

Offline ErikB

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 09:20:47 PM »
It does look a little odd but I can get used to it.  It's meant to be a pedrail system, not treads.  Not sure how that's supposed to work so I'm not sure how it's supposed to look.

The design actually "feels" (in my hand) pretty good as a turretless tank or an assault gun.  The non-flat track base probably gets it over lots of different terrain types.

Besides, it's hard to design an original retro-sci-fi tank WITH CHARACTER.  I think Zombiesmith has done a great job with it.  Now if my painting could only do them justice....

Offline delta6ct

• Assistant
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 03:34:10 AM »
I love the Quar and I think it looks cool. I think you painting is just fine too.

Mike

Offline headzombie

• Bookworm
    • http://www.zombiesmith.com
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 04:31:24 AM »
While the openness may seem strange, I was inspired by this, which I fell in love with:

Offline ErikB

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 05:58:05 AM »
Not sure about this...

Offline ErikB

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 05:59:11 AM »
PS - Hi, Josh!

Offline leadfool

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2011, 09:08:38 AM »
I picked up one of these tanks at Kubla con.  I am not sure how to paint it either.  I was going to make the gun metallic, rather then painted. 
I like yours but while the camo pattern is well done, I am not sure where the terrain is tan and Blue.  Venus/dessert? lol
FOUNDER OF THE D'ISREALI ARMY

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for lunch.  Liberty is a well armed Lamb, contesting the vote.
B Franklin.    ----

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2011, 09:18:23 AM »
Try adding a couple more colours into the camo scheme. At the moment it's a bit too sparse - maybe adding a reddish-brown and a green might help, like on the Stormtrooper helmet camo. I love that angular "WW1" camo look though and I think it fits in perfectly with the tank and the whole Quar thing  :D

Offline zizi666

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Photobucket page
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2011, 05:35:23 PM »
I picked up one of these tanks at Kubla con.  I am not sure how to paint it either.  I was going to make the gun metallic, rather then painted. 
I like yours but while the camo pattern is well done, I am not sure where the terrain is tan and Blue.  Venus/dessert? lol

::) Try a WW2 desert setting :

more pics : http://anzacsteel.hobbyvista.com/Armoured%20Vehicles/matildaattankfestph_1.htm
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,
for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Photobucket: http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd388/zizi666/
BGG: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/zizi666

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2011, 06:02:43 PM »
No wonder Rommel's chaps had such fun early on in the war  lol

That's a cool design though - very much like the naval "dazzle" schemes. Probably designed with the same theory behind it - break up the shape of the vehicle in a very flat featureless terrain.

Offline ErikB

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2011, 06:31:15 PM »
Zizi, that's kinda what I had in mind but I wanted to do it in an orginal way, Quarified, as I see it.

Maybe a darker blue might make sense.  Some more shapes, some of which overlap the tan.

I'm really frustrated - it just doesn't look right to me and I cannot imagine how to fix this.

Offline zizi666

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Photobucket page
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2011, 06:51:03 PM »
Zizi, that's kinda what I had in mind but I wanted to do it in an orginal way, Quarified, as I see it.

Maybe a darker blue might make sense.  Some more shapes, some of which overlap the tan.

I'm really frustrated - it just doesn't look right to me and I cannot imagine how to fix this.

I'd stick with the blue. Maybe you could try to loose the black lines (or make 'em finer) and extend the tan parts.
In your second pic everything comes out more natural because of the larger tan area, while on the other photo's they look like tan fields painted on top of the blue rather than being part of a camouflage pattern.  :?

my 2cts.

P.S. I wish ppl stopped posting Quar stuff . I've got too much other projects with the associated oversized heap of lead already and these Quars are beckoning me more and more (specialy since I found out they excist in 15mm too)  ;)

Offline ErikB

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2011, 10:35:44 PM »
I was bitten by the Quar.  Now they're my favorite (and my wife's and my 3 year-old's who compares them to Dr. Suesse's Starbellied Sneeches).

They're a little tough to paint as the detail is not sculpted as deep and pronounced as, say, GW's, but they're full of character and charm.  And they're certainly well made.  Zombiesmith did an excellent job.

You'd do alright with a command squad and a regular squad for both Royalists and Crusaders.  That's 32 minis (plus the animals that come with).  :o)

Offline ErikB

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2011, 06:49:20 AM »
I added another blue and the first muddy wash.  I think the only thing that looks any better is the rubber treads, though....

Time for some highlighting. 

« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 07:03:56 AM by ErikB »