Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:09:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Quar Royalist Company Finally Finished  (Read 1769 times)

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
Quar Royalist Company Finally Finished
« on: June 04, 2013, 06:23:17 PM »
After many moons I have finally finished the Royalist Rhyflers. Moving slowly onto the support squads now. Still Pykpyk and cooking fodder to do but enough to finally play a decent sized game of TQW :D

The 23rd King's Rhyfles, G'bbe, Leitrom

"Scions of the Blood"

The 23rd King's Rhyfles began its existence as the very essence of all things Alykinder would come to wage his Crusade against. First levied in 1522 YC in the coastal city of G'bbe, the then-capital of Leitrom, the catrawd and its command were presented to the nephew of the King as a birthday present. The ten year old kit was ecstatic. After a few months of endless parading around the city, however, he grew tired of his his new command and got a new cadier and pack of fydou to hunt with instead. The catrawd remained on the official roster, mostly consigned to ornamental duties within the city.

Traditionally the officers and NCOs of the catrawd were all blooded sons of the royal families of the city and surrounding countryside, seeking the distinction of military service without actual sacrifice. For the rhyflers of Leitrom, though, appointment to the catrawd was held as a reward for prolonged or particularly valorous service to the Crown. Their home barracks were in the Summer Palace on the harbor, and their kitchen staff was comprised of some of the same quar responsible for provisioning the King and his court. Accusations of the worst kind of nepotism and simony plagued the ranks as many saw the unit as little more than a decoration, a plaything for the weak and timid, spoiled kits of G’bbe.

That all changed in the early winter of a century ago. Cythwyn 1669 was particularly ferocious in the northwest of Alwyd. Dozens of feet of snow were dropped across the steppes of inland Leitrom, and the Weryd Ocean was churned into freezing foam that coated the entire city in ice. The Long War had moved away from Leitrom and the northern kingdoms for quite some time by then, but recent tensions had been brewing between Leitrom and its southern neighbor, Creevin, over a newly discovered oil field along their disputed border. Rather than wait for a diplomatic solution, the Creevish, in wholly typical quar fashion, decided it was easier to simply take what they wanted and try to hold on to it later. Light tractors specially fitted for the deep snow and wedges of specially bred gwylon cavalry took control of the oil fields while, simultaneously, a special detachment of marines launched a diversionary amphibious assault on G’bbe. The Leitromers were caught completely unaware and the city was quickly surrounded. With the bulk of their army home for Cythwyn and their capital invested by the enemy, most in Leitrom and Creevin saw a quick end to the war. The 23rd King’s Rhyfles, completely contrary to their unit history heretofore, fought to the last quar to secret the royal family out of the city; the last to fall, a grizzled milwer from Tsahstyyn, was even rewarded a posthumous knighthood and his kits given land and title by the grateful king. With their sacrifice Leitrom was able to rebound from the treachery of their neighbors and continue fighting over the same oil fields, intermittently, for over fifty years. Some have taken to calling the 23rd Rhyfles the “Heroes of the Borderers”, though their official unit sobriquet – once a source of universal ridicule – has since become a point of great pride to the rebuilt catrawd. Prior to 1769, appointment to the ‘Scions of the Blood’ was still considered a great honor, though for vastly different reasons. Since the Crusade’s occupation of Leitrom, the 23rd Rhyfles have fought alongside their former enemies in Creevin, Western Arnyara, and most recently, Coftyr.

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
Re: Quar Royalist Company Finally Finished
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 10:14:30 PM »
Great back story and great miniatures. The photos are a little out of focus and don't do your painting justice.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 12:31:46 AM »
Looking good! I almost have my Quar terrain done. For some reason I feel compelled to finish that before I start on the figures...
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 04:46:00 AM »
A very fine background
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 06:30:07 AM »
Many thanks,

Yup the photos are a bit dodgy will take some better ones, think I was a bit close to the minis and its washed the colour out a bit.

I wish I could claim the fluff was mone however it was written by maccioniath the offical fluff monkey for Zombie smith and he is a master of his craft. The good thing about the Quar world is you can create a background for them and the nice chaps on the forum will help out and encourage and suport your efforts. maccioniath created the fluff from my very basic outline of what and who I wanted my regiment to be :D

Offline bandit86

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2013, 07:03:22 AM »
Quartastic!!   I really need to get back to my quar world.
Barbarella: What's that screaming? A good many dramatic situations begin with screaming...
http://bandit86.blogspot.com/

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2013, 07:41:04 AM »
The fact that the miniatures are in both 15mm and 28mm is no excuse for those that say "it's not in my scale"!

Unless 8mm is your scale of choice.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 07:44:54 AM by von Lucky »

Offline Grimmnar

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2013, 04:02:28 AM »
Unless 8mm is your scale of choice.
Or 40/54mm  :-)

Or the ever strange "life size" scale  :-)

Grimm

Offline bandit86

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2013, 05:35:07 AM »
Great!!!!