Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 10:29:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Confessions of a John Pickford-o-holic (New painted Dvergar 17-07-13)  (Read 25797 times)

Offline clam

• Scientist
    • Clamshells and Sea Horses
Yes, I confess to you all, my name is clam and yes, I'm a John Pickford-o-holic :P

Usually I post my painted stuff in my Clamshell blog, but want to share a few of my recently painted Pickford's

First is the most awesome Ogre Chieftain sculpt from Otherworld Miniatures:

A wonderful, wonderful miniature and such a joy painting.

Red hair  :o - well, saw some pictures a friend did when he was in Kenya - and like the Masai idea of using red clay for colouring there hair - and thought it would look cool on an prominent Ogre Chieftain.

And then I couldn't resist start painting these:

Best ordinary dwarf release in 20 years, thanks WK ;D

John did a fantastic job on these and I can't hardly wait doing the rest of the poleaxes/halberds and then started thinking of a colour scheme for the Pikemen-clan. But have other obligations, so will have to wait a few weeks.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 09:40:09 PM by clam »

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
Re: Sharing a secret ...
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2011, 09:19:38 AM »
Looking good. Liking the colour scheme very much too. :) 8)

Offline Drachenklinge

• Mastermind
  • °_O ... gnihihi ...
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2011, 11:34:19 AM »
nice jobs!

I like to know, how you did the metal from the ogre's shoulder plate! Is this mirroring effect painted or is the metal so shiny!? really good result, either way!

best wishes
Drachenklinge
best wishes
Drachenklinge
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's no problem talking to Your miniatures! Beware, when they begin replying.

Offline Chaos Wolf

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2011, 01:11:08 PM »
Nice job on the ogre chief. I like the idea of the red clay for hair coloring; looks good!

Offline G2

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2011, 01:48:38 PM »
Hey Clam

Nice looking Ogre Chiefain. The armour on him (his arms) looks awesome. Very nice and shiny. The skin tone works perfectly with the orange-red hair, perfect blend of colours, as it looks very natural and beleivable.

As regards to the dwarfs, I am liking the red-green combination (one of my favourite colour combos). I especially like how you used faded/muted reds and greens, as opposed to the brighter shades. Job well done.

-------------------------------------------
Standing Small - G2's Miniatures Blog
-------------------------------------------

Offline clam

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2011, 11:18:52 PM »
Thanks for all the nice words and encouragements. Hopefully I'll soon get the chance of doing more Pickford's. Have more than 50 laying here, and haven't even started picking up the Foundry ones that I 'need' :D

nice jobs!

I like to know, how you did the metal from the ogre's shoulder plate! Is this mirroring effect painted or is the metal so shiny!? really good result, either way!

best wishes
Drachenklinge

Its a mix of both. It's an extreme highlight with thin mithril silver on the raised and flat areas - and then the reflection from the daylight bulbs when doing the pictures. Rather pleased with the result myself. Often find it hard getting the metals right - but the very light drybrushings with shades of silver and the MIG pigments worked out okay. So maybe I know have the courage doing my resin Hasslefree Axenarf miniature. The amount of armory on that model has really scared me from trying painting him.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 11:28:26 PM by clam »

Offline Drachenklinge

• Mastermind
  • °_O ... gnihihi ...
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2011, 08:46:22 AM »
funny thing is, that I experimented with very thin layers of metal-colours myself (on black primer), too, because I somehow got more and more unsatisfied with the brush-method for some certain metallic-looking parts. Especially with blades, which should look smooth 'n not rough - if not old or something.
Sometimes brushing leads to a very rough and grainy surface, but on the other hand I do not want to wet-blend every blade. So far I am pleased.

best wishes
Drachenklinge

Offline phreedh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Carpe plumbum!
    • Phreedh's Ministuff
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2011, 08:12:57 AM »
Nice stuff, Clam! Very nice!
Please visit my miniature gaming blog at http://ministuff.godzilla.se

Offline Dr. The Viking

• Galactic Brain
  • Rowdy, Hostile and Wrong Inc.
    • Dr. The Vikings Miniature Games Hell
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2011, 08:43:46 AM »
Woah!

Very nice painting and the subject matter is also brilliant.  lol
My Empire - where everything I ever did is collected:

http://www.c0wabunga.com

Offline Minohtar

• Assistant
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2011, 12:18:15 PM »
Ogre chieftain is winging his way to me from Otherworld, and now I can't wait!   :-*

Offline lone_gunmen

• Assistant
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2011, 03:20:58 AM »
Love the smooth, neat paintjobs on these. Great colour choice and basing.
http://laserblastpainting.wordpress.com/ My commission painting blog

Offline stone-cold-lead

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2011, 09:03:27 AM »
Good paintjobs there, especially the ogre. The more I see those dwarves the more I'm tempted to dig out my Marauder dwarf artillery and add some of these infantry to them.

Offline clam

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2011, 12:50:57 PM »
Once again thank you :)

Updated my Clamshells and Sea Horses-blog today with 5 more painted Dwarfs and a pig - and quite a few of them are those Super Awesome ones John did for White Knight - so thought I better update this thread here as well. **Hoping that it will make you all think: "I can do better than that" and then go buying some of WK's minis, so he can make some more money and have set #2 and #3 cast and up for sale (as I cant wait any longer - so, hurry up now, Seb! ... please :D)**

The trained eye may have spotted that the middle one ain't 100% straight out of the box. Cause, this heavy armoured guy was simply to good just to be turned into a ordinary Pikeman! So I've change him slightly, and turned him into a Captain leading this small unite. Still got 2 more to paint - and hopefully then, the new series #2 and #3 will turn up.

And then I couldn't help it. I had to paint the little Peaseblossom (the winged pig, playing a lute) I got from White Knight, as well. Peaseblossom is originally found on John Pickford's 2007 Frother's Unite Sculpting Contest entry - and has ended up with WK, and is now to be found in his "Hors Série". And I've heard someone whispering that the little hedgehog, playing the trumpet (one the same awesome diorama piece) is soon to be found in that range, as well! Another "must have" :-)

Oh, and then I shouldn't really forget telling, that the resin base is a 25mm DS Plain Dungeon Tile from Fenris Games and the awesome printable paper floor tile is made by Dave King
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 06:41:04 PM by clam »

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2011, 07:25:20 PM »
Looking good. Loving those orangish reds of yours.

The conversion looks interesting too. And I think you're the first person (ever) to paint that little pig.

Offline Blue in vt

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2011, 07:32:48 PM »
 :-* :-*

Clam,

Whats in your heroes left hand?  Is that a pistol?

Blue
My Painting/Collecting Blog: http://bluesmarauders.blogspot.com/

"Jesus weeps when people buy resin." ...Hammers March 2012