Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 04:29:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: What Pulp rules Rule  (Read 4020 times)

Offline dodge

• Scatterbrained Genius
What Pulp rules Rule
« on: October 30, 2007, 07:54:57 PM »
I've purchaesd some pulp figs from Bob Murch and Artizans thrilling tales.

Now need some rules.

I've seen / heard about

.45 adventures

Astounding tales

Thrilling tales

I've also downloaded the free Rugged adventures rules.

What do you think is better to play?

It seems lots of peple like .45 I think I'll be doing 5 - 10 minis per side.

Cheers for any advice.

Dodge   :?

Offline ChukTuttle

• Librarian
  • Physicist/Astronomer
What Pulp rules Rule
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2007, 08:07:33 PM »
.45 Adventures and all of its supplements.  It plays well, and once you play your second game, it plays even better.  It easily accommodates the 5-10 figures range you were wanting to use.
Look Daddy, I painted one of your robots!!!

Offline dodge

• Scatterbrained Genius
What Pulp rules Rule
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2007, 08:12:26 PM »
Quote from: "ChukTuttle"
.45 Adventures and all of its supplements.  It plays well, and once you play your second game, it plays even better.  It easily accommodates the 5-10 figures range you were wanting to use.

Cheers my friend I thought that this might be the case.

Dodge  :wink:

Offline Big Juju

• Assistant
What Pulp rules Rule
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2007, 12:45:21 AM »
Hey, Dodge.

Here's my vote for another rule set - Savage Worlds.

Savage Worlds is an RPG that's a miniatures game and a miniatures game that's an RPG.  The rules are just right for smaller scale skirmish games.

You can download the RPG rules here for free: http://www.peginc.com/Games/Savage%20Worlds/Downloads/SW%20Rev/TestDrive4.pdf
You can download Showdown, the Savage Worlds skirmish rules, here: http://www.peginc.com/Games/Savage%20Worlds/Downloads/Showdown/Showdown.pdf

The basic rule book is only $10 and is available in either a printed or PDF version: http://www.smithandrobards.com/product_info.php?products_id=292&osCsid=cb5c379c121d64c609aab905a759c144

The Pulp GM's Toolkit has stats for lots of creatures (zombies, natives, dinosaurs, etc) and for many pulp archetypes (Nazis, archaeologist, shaman, etc): http://www.smithandrobards.com/product_info.php?cPath=2_11&products_id=48

I've used the rules quite a bit but don't have too many battle reports - but Tim in Saskatoon has tons!  Check out this one complete with many pics:
http://saskminigamer.blogspot.com/2007/09/fallcon-20-21-23-september-2007-part-2.html

Offline Will Bailie

• Mastermind
    • Will's toy soldier blog
What Pulp rules Rule
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2007, 01:55:50 AM »
I got to play one of Tim in Saskatoon's Savage Worlds games.  It works great as a miniatures wargame - the RPG elements allow a nice distinction between the heroes and the mooks.  So one more vote for Savage Worlds from me!

I'm also hearing good things about the new Triumph and Tragedy rules.  I haven't seen them yet, but they are so popular here that they have their own board!  I will be picking up a copy for myself once they make their way out here to the colonies.

Offline jizbrand

• Student
What Pulp rules Rule
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2007, 11:11:07 PM »
I like the 45 Adventure rules.  But I think the essence of Pulp is to not follow the rules too slavishly.  In that regard, I think Astounding Tales is right on target.

So I use 45 Adventure as the framework for our Pulp games, but with plenty of free-wheeling, make-it-up-as-you-go to make it interesting and keeping things moving forward.

But when you add lots of troops and such, it becomes more wargamey and a stricter adherence to the rules is required, I think.

Offline coggon

• Scientist
What Pulp rules Rule
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2007, 01:02:36 AM »
We play both .45 Adventure and Savage Worlds for our Pulp Games, and love them both, but if forced to choose I would go with.45 Adventure just for the wide variety of characters that you can create.  Rich has done an AMAZING  job of balancing attributes and weaponry with the various character classes.  This allows for wide variety within the characters that you can create in .45 Adventure, as opposed to in SW-Showdown one generally ends up with 1 or 2 Wildcards and a supporting cast with the same stats.  

Just my .02
"MY enthusiasm greatly exceeds my talent"-Me

Offline Howard Whitehouse

• Scientist
What Pulp rules Rule
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2007, 10:32:48 PM »
It depends a lot on your taste.

In my case, I prefer my pulp games to have just enough rules to support the fast-moving story line, but not to overshadow the action. A minimalist approach to actual rules. light on formal structure, heavy on speed and role-playing. If you feel the same, try Astounding Tales!

If you want a more structured game, try Rich's. He's amazingly enthusiastic, and supports his rules better than anyone in the world. Much better than I do, anyway (!)

For a more 'unit' sort of game, Rugged Adventures and TBCBG are good choices.

I've not played Savage Worlds -- H
I do all my own stunts

Offline dodge

• Scatterbrained Genius
What Pulp rules Rule
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2007, 08:23:32 PM »
Thanks guys fo rthe help.

Howard : I have downloaded your free rules. If I do like them and want to buy how do I get hold of the full set.

The links in the free ones don't appear to work. It could be me though.

Cheers.

Dodge  :)

Offline Howard Whitehouse

• Scientist
What Pulp rules Rule
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2007, 02:14:22 AM »
You can find Astounding Tales!, together with the scenario book 'Astounding Adventures' (with conversion tables for other rules sets inc .45 Adventure, Rugged Adventures and TBCBG) at The Virtual Armchair General --

http://fauxtoys.com/tvag/079-rules.html#Astounding%20Tales

Order now and I'll get enough in royalties for breakfast in an all-night diner -- H

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
What Pulp rules Rule
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2007, 10:45:43 AM »
Threadomancy - although a living dead thread is not quite pulp....

Anyways - I don't know which pulp rules rule,  but I've bought a copy of 0.45 and the WWII supplement - yay  :)
And I was kind enough not to post the news in the WWII Gorobilla thread....  :P

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Don't join dangerous cults: practice safe sects.
    • Deeside Defenders
What Pulp rules Rule
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2007, 02:36:13 AM »
I'd go with .45.
He that trades Liberty for Security will soon find that he has neither.

Benjamin Franklin