Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 10:56:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Pulp Rules  (Read 3313 times)

Offline DiggerPete

• Assistant
Pulp Rules
« on: January 25, 2008, 11:50:12 AM »
Okay guys this may seem an easy question to answer but I am wondering what set of rules are the best for pulp games.

Pete :love:

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
Pulp Rules
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008, 12:03:40 PM »
.45 Adventure and all Supplements are my game for small scale Pulp adventures.

There is also another one to name Astounding Tales. What I`ve read so far is very promising. I have it here but not tried yet. But I definately will soon.

Cheers
Björn
, ,

Offline Poliorketes

• King of the Congo
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Never look back
Pulp Rules
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2008, 12:07:43 PM »
For larger games, I can recommend Triumph & Tragedy.
If you come for the king, you better not miss (Omar)

Offline mendoza

• Bookworm
Pulp Rules
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2008, 01:04:50 PM »
I play .45 caliber,....very nice...good, and funny

Offline dodge

• Scatterbrained Genius
Pulp Rules
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2008, 01:52:05 PM »
I've got .45 they look quite good.

Astounding tales is good too.

Dodge

Offline Phil Robinson

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://newsfromthefront-phil.blogspot.com/
Pulp Rules
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2008, 05:00:14 PM »
.45 for smallish games and don't need an umpire also good for solo play, Astounding Tales are also good a lot looser rule system that work better with an umpire to my mind, for games with lots of figures/units try Rugged Adventures which you can download from the Pulp Figures site these are still a work in progress though and of course Triumph and Tragedy again for unit based games just got these so can't comment further but look a pretty useful set, check out the TT board.

Get them all :)

Offline dusser

• Librarian
    • http://hodgepodgelodger.blogspot.com/
Pulp Rules
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2008, 05:22:15 PM »
I think that really depends on the style of play you are looking for.  Both the .45 Adventure variations and Astounding Tales are great sets of rules, but they have a different level of game mechanics.  .45 Adventure rules have more structured character profiles using a system of templates, a method of diminishing effectiveness of characters as they are wounded, and detailed mechanics for resoulving heroic action.  Astounding Tales, in contrast, covers the same effects in less mechanical detail.  The rules emphasize story and roleplay elements instead.

Both systems are excellent, easy to learn and play and provide for the thrilling action of the pulp genre.  If you and your players like to have more detailed play and resolution then .45 Adventure is for you, but if you like something more free flowing then I would recommend Astounding Tales.

There is also a set of free rules on the Pulp Figures site called Rugged Adventure, but I am not as familiar with them.  On a larger scale I am hearing a lot of good things about Triump and Tragedy and there is also a Back of Beyond suppliment to Contemptable Little Armies.

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
    • Rattrap Productions LLC
Pulp Rules
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2008, 06:24:08 PM »
You've already heard about our rules (that would be .45 Adventure) and I find it bad form to tout my own rules in these topics (though I will answer specific questions). I do suggest you download the free version before spending your hard earned cash.

Astounding Tales: Written by that skallywag Howard Whitehouse. An excellent set of free form rules. A lot of the mechanics are left up to the players. Howard has written more rule sets than I can count so if you have ever read any of them, you will get an idea of what Astounding Tales would be like.

Rugged Adventures: From that ne'er-do-well Bob Murch. These rules have been in development for years. They are free to download.

I have purchased Triumph and Tragedy which I hope to try out soon for some larger scale games. I don't have a lot of time most of the time for big games, but these have me very intrigued.

Another generic set that have been bandied about are: Savage Worlds (an RPG system with some miniature rules). I know little about them but those who use them, love them.
Richard A. Johnson
On Facebook: Rattrap on Facebook

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Don't join dangerous cults: practice safe sects.
    • Deeside Defenders
Pulp Rules
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2008, 07:04:29 PM »
.45 Adventures and Contemptible Little Armies.
He that trades Liberty for Security will soon find that he has neither.

Benjamin Franklin

Offline LostInBrittany

• Student
    • http://www.lostinbrittany.org/blog/
Pulp Rules
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2008, 07:28:58 PM »
Sorry about the thread necromancy :)

Where could I find Astounding Tales ?
I bought the first edition in a convention four years ago, but I would love to buy the new one. And I haven't been able to locate publisher's site or author's site in the net...

Thanks !

LostInBrittany

Offline gauntman

• Scientist
    • Gauntman's Pics
Pulp Rules
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2008, 07:40:15 PM »
I have 45 Adventures and Astounding Tales and have had multiple sessions with both.

That being said, I think it's a matter of preference.  More planning, detail, and mechanics are involved in 45 Adventures while Astounding Tales is very much mechanic lite and is designed much more for thematics or simplicity.  

If you are playing an ongoing campaign or with competitive rule natured players I'd play 45 adventures.  If you have a laid back style of playing with a more care-free less structured enviroment Astounding Tales might be your preferred choice.

For instance 45 Adventures has body part area wound damage while Astounding Tales uses a more general 1-3 hits and your out approach.

http://fauxtoys.com/tvag/079-rules.html#Astounding%20Tales

I got my copy of Astounding Tales from here....
"Despite my ghoulish reputation, I really have the heart of a small  boy....I keep it in a jar on my desk."
                ----- Robert Bloch------