Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 07:11:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
  • Total Members: 10485
  • Latest: Zombiu
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1694511
  • Total Topics: 118611
  • Online Today: 576
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Round bases it is!......The ruins of Krappefortt (MORDHEIM)  (Read 395761 times)

Offline Thantsants

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Somewhere the tea's getting cold...
Re: The ruins of Krappefortt MORDHEIM (The Map!-P25) UD:7/12
« Reply #375 on: December 09, 2011, 12:59:37 AM »
Another action packed report - great read!

Love the map too - certainly adds another layer of character on an already characterful project.  8)

Offline Legionnaire Bert

• Mad Scientist
Re: The ruins of Krappefortt MORDHEIM (The Map!-P25) UD:7/12
« Reply #376 on: December 09, 2011, 12:38:57 PM »
Mason

Another fine job of hosting, picture taking and battle narrative mate! You are truly  a man of multi talents. lol

This game was just brilliant to take part in. It was even worth suffering the attentions of a psycho-hobbit fueled up on fruitcake and tea. That little so-and-so is well and truly getting a page to himself in the Book of Grudges!

Can't wait till we play next. Are we meeting up on January 6? Galloping senility has caught up with me...

Bert

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
Re: The ruins of Krappefortt MORDHEIM (The Maps!-P25) UD:9/12
« Reply #377 on: December 09, 2011, 03:30:03 PM »

Know what you mean - I keep looking at my VSF bits and thinking "....really should get on with that........."

New year jobbie.

New year it is then!  :D

COOL MAP! Your Crater is MUCH more impressive than G.W's.

Thanks, DeafNala!
Not sure if having a more impressive crater than GW is a good thing, though..... ::)

Nice map, reminds me of my home town... Bogenhafen
lol

Another action packed report - great read!

Love the map too - certainly adds another layer of character on an already characterful project.  8)

Thanks, Thatsants!

This game was just brilliant to take part in. It was even worth suffering the attentions of a psycho-hobbit fueled up on fruitcake and tea. That little so-and-so is well and truly getting a page to himself in the Book of Grudges!

lol Not taking it too hard, then................?

Can't wait till we play next. Are we meeting up on January 6? Galloping senility has caught up with me...

Bert

Thats right, mate.
Get ya pencil sharpened for the next entry in the Book of Grudges!  lol

Thanks for all the comments, chaps!

Now, a little bit more background info on the map;
When we played our first Mordheim campaign we just played as normal, randomly generating missions from the rulebook and playing the games.
As enjoyable as this was, I felt that a campaign should be much more.
I wanted the town of Krappefortt to be an actual place with a character of its own.
I also wanted the various warbands to be able to move around the town in a more realistic way and actually explore it.
We already knew, from the background story that took place during the first campaign, that Krappefortt was a medium sized town with a river running through it.
We also knew that the town had been devastated by an earthquake and a huge chasm had bisected the lower town, effectively dividing it in half.
This became known as 'The Krakk'.
Bearing this in mind, I set about drawing a rough map of the town, adding a number of features from a list that had been compiled, the Temple of Sigmar, the Gardens of Morr, the Stadium, the Clocktower etc..
Once all the key locations had been placed, I set about drawing a birds-eye view map.
Here is the end result

Now that the birds-eye version had been drawn, I set about making the grid version for plotting warband movement in the town.
The town itself had three distinct large areas.
Tthe Upper Town, which was the original Old Town, occupied by the more influential and affluent members of the population and including most of the key municipal buildings. This is the area west of the river.
The new town, or Lower Town as it is more commonly known, is the area East of the river, which has been divided into two halves by the 'Krakk'.

The town was then divided into thirty smaller areas with a key area or building in each and each area was then named accordingly.

Here is the grid reference map for warband movement, showing the thirty different areas of the town.

I will go into more detail about each of the areas and how movement was performed on the map, and explain the meaning of the symbols in the next update.

Until then...

« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 05:08:17 PM by Mason »

Offline Ninja

• Mad Scientist
    • Broken Egg Games
Re: The ruins of Krappefortt MORDHEIM (The Two Maps!-P25) UD:9/12
« Reply #378 on: December 09, 2011, 04:15:55 PM »
Umm...you have a map (and grid) for your games to give reason to your terrain addiction culminating in over 25 pages of comments....

I feel slightly inadequate....and I am a freaking ninja!   
Break out of your gaming shell! www.brokenegggames.com

"Yes, I am a ninja and no I won't show you my moves."

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
Re: The ruins of Krappefortt MORDHEIM (The Maps Pt 2!-P25) UD:9/12
« Reply #379 on: December 10, 2011, 06:26:16 PM »
Umm...you have a map (and grid) for your games to give reason to your terrain addiction culminating in over 25 pages of comments....

I feel slightly inadequate....and I am a freaking ninja!   

Ninja, you do crack me up!
 lol

I will put a further explaination of the campaign movement system tomorrow, also explaining the victory conditions for each warband as they were all different.
The conditions were set so that each warband could, unknowingly, affect every other warband's chance of winning the campaign.

Incidentally, the campaign was won by Legionnaire Bert with his Undead Pirate warband.
I have managed to get pictures of the unpainted version of his band and will post them soon too.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
Re: The ruins of Krappefortt MORDHEIM (Undead Pirates!-P26) UD:11/12
« Reply #380 on: December 11, 2011, 12:30:24 PM »
The last campaign that we played last year was played on the map shown previously.
There were seven warbands taking part in the campaign, all starting in a different location.
Movement was controlled via email, so that no-one knew where the other players warbands were at any time unless they encountered each other in town.
Each warband had three conditions that need to be completed to claim victory, with each warband with different conditions and unaware of the victory conditions of the others.
The conditions were varied, but as an example here are the three conditions that Legionnaire Bert, who won that campaign using his Undead Pirates, had to complete;

Locate a specific person in town- Some of the warbands had someone that they were trying to locate or rescue from the doomed town. They had to explore the town, seeking information of their whereabouts and when they found them had to pay the equivalent of a 'Hire fee'. This was to represent costs incurred in the process and also counter the effect of having the individual being a part of their band and aiding them in various ways.
Bert had to find a Vampire who was laying dormant in the town.

Destroy an Area- An area of town had to be destroyed or desecrated for reasons specific to each warband.
This would again incur a cost to be paid to represent materials used. the warband also had to have uncontested control of the area in question, with no other warband in that area.
Bert had to desecrate (Destroy) the Temple of Sigmar.

Control an Area- A specific predetermined area had to be under control of the warband at the end of one of their turns having completed their other two objectives. As this would be the finale to that band's campaign, a suitably climictic battle would have to be fought and won to be considered sucessful.
Bert had to fight and win a battle in the West Docks area and therefore be in control of this area to claim victory.

He did, of course, complete his three conditions before everyone else, culminating in a particularly viscous no-quarter given battle against thge 1st Nordland Expedition in the West Docks area before sailing off into the night with his primary objective, his Vampiric bride, on board the rotting black hulk upon which he sailed into town on in the first place.

As mentioned previously, I have finally managed to get the pictures of Bert's Undead Pirates from my old mobile phone.
These were taken last year after I had converted them for him as a birthday present.
They are in the undercoated condition that I gave them to him. He has since painted them, but has not used them since the last campaign finished, so I do not have any photos of the finished items.
(I will endevour to get some painted pics next time he brings them out of retirement.)

Anyway, here are the pics;

First up, his Ship's Captain, who counts as a Vampire

Next, the two figures that were made so as to have a choice of what to use as a counts-as Necromancer

Next are the three ships officers, counting as Dregs

Some pics of the Ship's Crew which counted as Zombies

Summoned Creatures of the Depths, which were used as Ghouls

Another, larger, Summoned Creature of the Depths, this time counting as a Dire Wolf

And finally, no ship is complete without its mascot, the Zombie Monkey (which could also double up as a Familiar for the Necromancer)

I hope you like them, Bert did!

Hope to get some photos taken of the painted versions when Bert next ressurects them!

(I have no idea why some have appeared so small, whilst others have come out full size!)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 12:32:15 PM by Mason »

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #381 on: December 11, 2011, 12:54:15 PM »
AAARRGH! They be fine looking (ghostly) Pirates. Seeing the Lads/Whatever in glorious full color would be a treat.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 02:30:25 PM by DeafNala »
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline Faber

• Mastermind
  • onnivorous painter
    • Faber Ambitious Mordheim Project
« Reply #382 on: December 11, 2011, 02:03:27 PM »
Lovely conversions  :-* :-* :-*
I really like the undead pirate theme. But...bigger pics are needed!  lol
cheers mate

Faber

Offline mweaver

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #383 on: December 11, 2011, 05:58:59 PM »
I always enjoy my visits to this thread. 

Nice conversions on that pirate crew!

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #384 on: December 11, 2011, 09:09:43 PM »
Cool idea for the ghostly pirates! I may have to steal that idea!! Now how could you get undead crew into Legends of the High Seas?

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #385 on: December 12, 2011, 12:07:05 AM »
This is proceeding nicely. Well thought out with decent background material and plenty of enthusiism  8)  :)

Please keep it coming  :D

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
« Reply #386 on: December 12, 2011, 11:40:38 PM »
AAARRGH! They be fine looking (ghostly) Pirates. Seeing the Lads/Whatever in glorious full color would be a treat.

Thanks, DeafNala!
I will see if we can gets some pics of them now that Bert has painted them.

Lovely conversions  :-* :-* :-*
I really like the undead pirate theme. But...bigger pics are needed!  lol
cheers mate

Faber

Thanks, Faber!
I am afraid that I have no idea why the pics have come out like that. They were sent from my old phone to another via Bluetooth and then emailed.
They were all the same when they started!

I always enjoy my visits to this thread.  

Nice conversions on that pirate crew!

Thanks mweaver!
Glad that you are enjoying the thread.

Cool idea for the ghostly pirates! I may have to steal that idea!! Now how could you get undead crew into Legends of the High Seas?

Thanks, Andym!
Could you not just use Undead figures anyway?
There are plenty of old tales of Ghost Ships.
I am sure that most opponents would not mind.
Maybe the crew are dressed as Undead for intimidatio- Psychological warfare!

This is proceeding nicely. Well thought out with decent background material and plenty of enthusiism  8)  :)

Please keep it coming  :D

cheers

James

Thanks, James!
I will keep it going on and off, but I will be joining you with the Japanese in the 19th century for the forseeable once the New Year is in!

Offline Hubbynz

• Scientist
    • Halfling House
« Reply #387 on: December 13, 2011, 12:20:20 PM »
Nice kit bashing on those pirates.

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #388 on: December 13, 2011, 01:28:54 PM »
I must sort out those bloody pirate zombie conversions I did years ago, christ know's where they are! ;)
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #389 on: December 13, 2011, 01:37:05 PM »
christ know's where they are! ;)

I know the sentiment...  ::)
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84