Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 04, 2024, 03:34:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1696167
  • Total Topics: 118746
  • Online Today: 453
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Round bases it is!......The ruins of Krappefortt (MORDHEIM)  (Read 396320 times)

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
Re: The ruins of Krappefortt MORDHEIM (Halfling Quarter WIP-P27) UD:30/12
« Reply #405 on: January 02, 2012, 03:06:11 PM »
While it may not seem like much progress to you, it looks like you're coming along VERY WELL from my somewhat skewed perspective. With just a bit of "lived in look" tweaking this will be a FINE tenement for the little urban gluttons to hang their hats...or whatever. AND I LOVE the way you do your woodwork.

Thanks, DeafNala, your encouragement is always appreciated.
You are quite right, a lot more weathering and detailing to be done before it can be called finished.
The roof also needs to be done, as it will not be anything like that colour when it is finished!
I am hoping to get a bit more done before the weekend, fingers crossed.

Regarding the wood- It is quite simple, I basecoated the entire building in burnt umber and gradually added more yellow ochre to the mix. It was then drybrushed up to almost white, for the panelling, and the timbers were then given several different washes from the GW range.
All the timbers that would have been 'outdoors' will be drybrushed up to grey to give them a weathered appearance, but I may keep some of the interior timbers in this colour for a little more vibrancy.

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Re: The ruins of Krappefortt MORDHEIM (Halfling Quarter WIP-P27) UD:30/12
« Reply #406 on: January 03, 2012, 10:44:32 AM »
Only just caught up with this thread.... Wow! some superb buildings here, very inspirational. I especially like the Halfling quarters ;D
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
Re: The ruins of Krappefortt MORDHEIM (Game set-up and reports-P28) UD:07/01
« Reply #407 on: January 07, 2012, 01:03:17 PM »
Only just caught up with this thread.... Wow! some superb buildings here, very inspirational. I especially like the Halfling quarters ;D

Thanks Malamute!
As soon as those pesky Halflings have their slum sorted out I will be over to the VSF board to bother you chaps instead!

We got a few games of Mordheim played yesterday between myself, Legionnaire Bert and another friend and new Forum member, the Lockswin, who has lurked on the Forum for ages and finally been badgered into signing up. (About time, too!).

As Bert was running late, it was down to myself and Locksy to get things going.
This would be The Lockswin's first 'proper' game of Mordheim. He had played as part of a multi-player game before, but this would be his first taste of running his own warband.
He had opted to play as Shadow Elves, mainly as he likes the figures available.
As he has not finished painting his own warband yet, he used my Elves for this game.

Here are a few shots of the table set-up we would be playing on.
As you can see, the em4 Farm was utilised with the buildings being used as seperate elements and they work brilliantly when used this way.
(As usual I apologise for the poor quality of some of the pictures, these are the best of them, believe it or not!)

And a few shots closer in

We rolled randomly at the start of the game and would be playing the Hidden Treasure scenario.

This scenario involved searching the buildings, looking for a treasure chest that was reputed to be in the area. As each building was searched, by a miniature finishing his turn occupying the building in question and not engaged in combat, a roll was made to see if that particular building contained the fabled chest.

Each of the buildings was marked with a counter, which was removed when the building had been eliminated from the search.

Be back later with the pics of the game itself...

« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 05:03:22 PM by Mason »

Offline Faust23

• Mastermind
  • Father of Sorrows
    • Strategic Elite: Skirmish Wargames for the Discerning Strategist
Re: The ruins of Krappefortt MORDHEIM (Game set-up-P28) UD:07/01
« Reply #408 on: January 07, 2012, 05:42:43 PM »
Utterly fantastic. Highly inspirational.  So good, I weep tears of inadequacy.....   :D
Author of the Origins Award 2013 Nominated Brink of Battle: Skirmish Gaming through the Ages; Epic Heroes: Skirmish Gaming in the Realms of Fantasy; and Scrappers: Post-Apocalyptic Skirmish Wargames published by Osprey Games

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
Re: The ruins of Krappefortt MORDHEIM (Game set-up-P28) UD:07/01
« Reply #409 on: January 07, 2012, 06:10:49 PM »
LOOKIN' GOOD...lots of cover from Jason & the Agro-Elves' sharpshooting.
Jason had better sign up or he'll be the victim of unanswerable trash talk...probably.
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
Re: The ruins of Krappefortt MORDHEIM (Game One Report p-P28) UD:07/01
« Reply #410 on: January 07, 2012, 10:29:30 PM »
Utterly fantastic. Highly inspirational.  So good, I weep tears of inadequacy.....   :D

Thanks, Faust23!

LOOKIN' GOOD...lots of cover from Jason & the Agro-Elves' sharpshooting.
Jason had better sign up or he'll be the victim of unanswerable trash talk...probably.

Thanks, DeafNala!
Hopefully this may encourage him to sign up!

EDIT: He has now done so, and will be referred to as The Lockswin (or something similar!) from now on.

On to the game report;

The first game of the day was between the 2nd Nordland Expedition, a human mercenary warband, controlled by myself, and The Grey Dawn, a Shadow Elf warband controlled by The Lockswin.

As previously mentioned the scenario generated was Hidden Treasure, where both warbands would be searching the buildings seeking the treasure.

A few pictures showing the initial deployment of the Nordlander's

A small group move out on the right flank with covering fire supplied by a Marksman toting a Handgun.

The central party was lead by the leader of the warband, Captain Uhlenbeek

Whilst, on the left, another group were readying themselves

The Grey Dawn set themselves up, with half of the warband moving forward while the rest took up good covering positions

Both warbands continued their advance, searching buildings as they went

One of the Nordland Champions discovered the chest in the courtyard between two of the central buildings

Having discovered the treasure chest, the rest of the warband moved up to cover the Champion as he carried it back to their own table edge

One of the Elves was in the perfect position to target the Champion carrying the chest and unleashed a shot at the unaware human

Luckily, for the Nordlander at least, even though the arrow found its mark, it failed to wound.

As an aside, at this point one of the mercenary Marksmen had got himself into a perfect covering position but, keeping with true Nordland Marksman tradition, his Handgun jammed at the crucial moment!

What followed next was absolute mayhem as the Elves sent everyone available into the attack, realising that the only way they could win would be to take out enough of the Nordlanders and force them to rout, as they could not get to the chest before it would be carried to safety.

Several rounds of frantic combat later (photos were forgotten during the chaos!)
quite a few of the humans were either out of action or knocked to the ground

Unfortunately it was not quite enough for the Elves.
The Champion had been joined by another member of his warband, who helped speed up the retrieval of the treasure, carrying it to safety off of the human table edge.

The Grey Dawn had fallen one short of the casualties needed to force a Rout Test, although there were quite a few mercenaries knocked to the ground!
One more turn and there may have been a very different outcome.
The Nordland Captain breathed a huge sigh of relief at the timing!

I hope that the pictures are not too bad, as it was a thoroughly enjoyable game that seems to have convinced the Elven commander to play plenty more games in the future.

Next time the Norlanders take on Legionnaire Bert's Possessed- The Theatre of the Grotesque!

Until then........
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 05:06:30 PM by Mason »

Offline Faber

• Mastermind
  • onnivorous painter
    • Faber Ambitious Mordheim Project
Re: The ruins of Krappefortt MORDHEIM (Game One Report-P28) UD:07/01
« Reply #411 on: January 08, 2012, 01:18:16 AM »
YEAH!  :-*
AWESOME REPORT! It was very funny to read it and I have to echo what Faust told before:
So good, I weep tears of inadequacy.....   :D

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #412 on: January 08, 2012, 07:51:40 AM »
Wonderful,I look forward to your VSF stuff ;)
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #413 on: January 08, 2012, 01:28:12 PM »

:o what an amazing terrain. I really like it! 8)
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
« Reply #414 on: January 08, 2012, 04:20:01 PM »
Thanks Faber!
Your comments are much appreciated.
Your own board is coming along very nicely.
I am waiting for you to finish it so that I can steal   copy your ideas when I come back to mine!

Wonderful,I look forward to your VSF stuff ;)

Thanks, Mr Wolf!
I am looking forward to the project too. (If I ever get there!)

:o what an amazing terrain. I really like it! 8)

Thanks Calimero!

Hoping to get the second report up later or tomorrow......
(which is probably more likely!)...................

Offline Steve F

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Pedantic bugger, apparently.
« Reply #415 on: January 08, 2012, 04:23:50 PM »
It all comes together tremendously well.  Applause!
Back from the dead, almost.

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #416 on: January 09, 2012, 11:48:39 AM »
YES! The Imperial Forces have once again vanquished the Pointy Eared Ones of Dubious Sexual Practices...mostly. VERY COOL LOOKING game!

Offline Legionnaire Bert

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #417 on: January 09, 2012, 12:49:29 PM »
Howdy - the small, rotund, bearded ginger one here! Not sure from Mason's description if people see me as abhuman or of celtic descent! (Perhaps both...) I am happy to go with being a death-seeking dwarf with died hair on balance...

(Nowt against the celtic races though! ::))

Happy New Year to Lead Adventurers one and all! 8)

May 2012 prove a fruitful year for gaming projects big and small.

I'm working on my long-suffering Imperial Fists army who have been forced to wear the 'away strip' of Factory Grey for far too long. I look forward to Mason completing the halfling quarter and starting on the fabled ( ;)) VSF project.

I am in no hurry to leave the districts of Krappefortt behind though, as it has been a wheeze treading its cobbled streets in various guises throughout 2011. It has been a real privilege watching the table take shape and playing on such a magnificent board as Mason adds yet more tremendous scenery to really bring Mordheim to life.

Mason, take a bow sir! Who needs Bugman's Bar when you have a kitchen in Dulwich? :D

Having arrived Friday just in time to see the Nordlanders scamper off the board with the loot and catch a fleeting glimpse of the shadowy elven folk, it was good to read this game report. I am up for having a bash at the Grey Dawn myself (great name, Jay :`).

I agree, Jason must join the forum - if only to aquire a proper Lead Adventures name!

The Mason did another top job of taking pics of our two encounters, so I think they will be enjoyable when he puts them up. As to our two games, I will say no more for now - suffice to say they were a mixed bag for us both!

Adios, amigos.

Bert

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #418 on: January 09, 2012, 02:01:33 PM »
Looks cracking all together  :-*  8)

(get a better camera though  ;D  ;) )

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
« Reply #419 on: January 09, 2012, 02:16:28 PM »
It all comes together tremendously well.  Applause!

Thank you, Steve F!

YES! The Imperial Forces have once again vanquished the Pointy Eared Ones of Dubious Sexual Practices...mostly. VERY COOL LOOKING game!

Thanks, DeafNala!
The Nordlanders may well have won the game, but the Pointy-Ears dealt out a great deal of 'Ouch' in the process!

Bert; Welcome back from the excursion North!
I guess you were rumbled, or you would not have come back... ;)
I will add our game photos later, when I get time.
And I am working on the Halfling Quarter this afternoon, so hope to finish it soon.
(The 'fabled' land of VSF is getting closer!)

Looks cracking all together  :-*  8)

(get a better camera though  ;D  ;) )

cheers

James

Thanks, James!
Nothing wrong with the camera, just the numpty using it!  :D