Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 03:32:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
  • Total Members: 10485
  • Latest: Zombiu
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1694510
  • Total Topics: 118611
  • Online Today: 570
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Round bases it is!......The ruins of Krappefortt (MORDHEIM)  (Read 395687 times)

Offline Theomar Pius

• Librarian
    • The Stonecutters Guild
Re: The ruins of Krappefortt MORDHEIM (Make it Generic!) UD: 14/05
« Reply #630 on: May 15, 2012, 03:05:58 PM »
I love the vines on the walls, a great touch.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #631 on: May 17, 2012, 09:14:45 AM »
Stunning mason, i really like the mix and feel of your city.

Very nice.

Cheers
Andy

Thanks, Andy!
I hope that all the elements of the city will make it into as many games as possible.
Maybe you should consider making your Museum interior removable, so that it can be used as other buildings, as well as tthe Museum?

I think the colour choice makes all the difference on the church. In dark gothic grey it would look IMO more out of place than that nice light beige colour you have it painted in. :)

Good stuff.

Thanks, maxxev!
I prefer the sandstone colour as it is 'warmer' than the traditional grey stone that is more commonly used.

Another FINE LOOKING game! The settings is perfect for Gothic Horror; there is a universality to much of the terrain we make or can make...Notre Dame looks just as appropriate for The Hunchback as it does for the scenes from Van Helsing. If you added a couple of sheds with corrugated iron/steel roofs, the setting would looks fine for a Post Apocalypse game.

Thanks, Al!
Please do not mention any more genres wher it would work.
I have enough projects in the pipeline as it is, without getting ideas for more!
 ;)

I love the vines on the walls, a great touch.

Thanks, Theomar Pius!
I have to admit that it is your village and all of its lovely buildings that is giving me the urge to go back to this project and build more!

Offline Legionnaire Bert

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #632 on: May 29, 2012, 04:25:20 PM »
I should be playing a game of Mordheim against Mason on the weekend, so hopefully I can pursuade him to take pics. Depsite his self-depricating ways, he actually always does a bang up job with the camera. 8)

Not sure who will be taking to the streets of Krappefortt yet - maybe the undead once more. Jim jams ahoy!

Bert

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
« Reply #633 on: June 02, 2012, 10:59:04 PM »
Bert did indeed come over today for a game, bringing with him his Undead Warband containing Jim Jam Johnny.
They were up against my Beastmen, the Veals of Baska.

Some pictures were taken during the game and I will be trying to put them together into a report of the game over the next couple of days.

Here is a small taster

Back soon with the report...

Offline Andrew May

• Mastermind
    • Meridian Miniatures
Re: The ruins of Krappefortt MORDHEIM (AAR Preview) UD: 02/06
« Reply #634 on: June 03, 2012, 12:21:39 AM »
I really have to come see this at some point. Was only at Dulwich last week!

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
« Reply #635 on: June 03, 2012, 12:53:51 PM »
I really have to come see this at some point. Was only at Dulwich last week!

Andrew: Let me know the next time that you are in my neck of the woods.
 :)

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #636 on: June 03, 2012, 02:19:35 PM »
OOOH! PRETTY PHOTOS! I guess that gives some insight as to the level of my consciousness at the moment. That aside, I'll look forward to The Battle Report...AND more pretty photos.
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
Re: The ruins of Krappefortt MORDHEIM (AAR Part 1) UD: 07/06
« Reply #637 on: June 07, 2012, 11:58:15 PM »
OOOH! PRETTY PHOTOS! I guess that gives some insight as to the level of my consciousness at the moment. That aside, I'll look forward to The Battle Report...AND more pretty photos.

Thanks, DeafNala!
Not too sure how 'pretty' the pictures will be.
He of the shaky hands (Me!) took them, so they may not be so good.
Or the storyline for that matter, it was a while ago now, so please forgive me if I get things a little messed up!

Ok then, the battle report:
Bert and I set up a board that took into account that we would both be using warbands without any missile weapons, so height was not going to make too much difference to the outcome of this one.
We knew it would probably come down to an almight scrap somewhere in the middle of the table, so we were not too bothered about making things too even terrain-wise.

Bert had brought his Undead warband, with the experimental Skeletons.
(Same stats and cost as Zombies, but with the option to arm them. This does make them pretty much harder than an average Zombie, but you pay the money for equipping troops that gain no experience, so we feel it pans out pretty fairly so far.
(This game would show their effectiveness, though! Read on and you will see....)

I rolled out the Beastmen again.
The same Beastmen that had been shot full of holes by the cowardly Elves in their two previous outings!

The mission rolled was Wyrdstone Hunt, where two counters representing said Wyrdstone were placed fairly centrally, one on the ground level and one higher up.

Bert won the roll for table edge, and used what has become known as the famous 'Bert's Cunning Plan', (a tactic ever since I have known him).
He opted for the board edge which he was nearest to at the time!
Very cunning, eh?!?

After deploying the warbands, it was immediately apparent there was obviously going to be a huge ruck in the centre of the board for ownership of the shard of Wyrdstone that was situated there!

The other piece, located at the top of the ruin, was probably going to be fairly easy for me to get a Beastman to before the Undead shufflers could stop me, but how much of the Warband should I commit to retrieving it was the question?
Too many savages and I could find myself overpowered in the other combats.
Hmmm.....
I had a plan, but more of that later.

The Undead began their advance!
Not as dramatic or swift as the surge of the Beastmen would be, but I would not be fooled by their lack of speed, they would be hard to stop when they got there. Eventually.

Bert had opted to split his force into two elements.

The first, in the centre, consisted of the Skellies and a Dire wolf.
They were heading straight for the shard in the centre.

The other group contained the heroes of the band, led by the Vampire.
Alongside him were the three Dregs and the Necromancer.
They would be a little faster than the Skeletons and were moving forward on Bert's left.

On the other side of the table the Beastmen loped out of the ruined Temple.
Here is a shot of the Beastman warband leaving the Temple where they had deployed at the start of the game, splitting into three groups as part of the initial plan.

On the right, the largest group of Beasts had begun to advance towards the ladders that led up to the highest level, where they hoped to retrieve the first shard uncontested. Undead could never hope to threaten the sheer pace of a Beastman in full steam ahead mode! Or so I hoped!

The big guy at the rear is the Beastman Chieftain Baska Bloodhorn, who is a little slower than the rest of his tribe, due to carrying a leg injury picked up in the aforementioned clashes with the cowardly Elven scum.
(They taste nice, though. At least that is what he professes.....)

A second group, containing the two Bestigors and the Shaman, advanced straight towards the other shard.
These two rock hard specimens ought to be able to hold up the Undead advance long enough for the Shaman to cast some evil incantations in the path of the walking dead. (I hoped! Again...)

The final group, on the left, consisted of the Centigor and three swift-moving Chaos Hounds. They would make their way around the graveyard and hope to charge in from the flank and rear once battle had commenced.
Well, that was the idea, anyway...

The 'flanking manouver' as seen by Bert

The Undead continued to shuffle forwards, the Vampire holding his group back to match the slow but steady pace set by the Walking Dead elements of the band.

In response to the this, the Beastmen made their move.

The group on the right split up again, with two of their number heading up the ladders towards the shard at the top of the ruin, while the rest advanced towards the Undead Heroes.

At the same time, the group in the centre headed towards the other shard.
They would not make it this turn, but would be in a position to fight for it next turn.
They were supported by two of the Chaos Hounds, who were ready to charge the flank of any Undead heading that way.

Meanwhile, the Centigor and remaining Hound continued around the Undertaker's to threaten the Undead rear.

The warbands were both in position, with the Beastmen almost in possesion of both of the shards, their superior pace beating the Undead to them. Fortunately for the Undead this left them in position to get in the first charge, and hoped to make it count......

Back later with Part 2.......

Offline Mo!

• Mastermind
Oh sweet dose of Mordheim received! Hope it was as good for you as it was for me :P
Be mindful of the prayers you send
Pray hard but pray with care
For the tears that you are crying now
Are just your answered prayers

Offline Doomhippie

• Scatterbrained Genius
Great pics! Wow! Did I say Wow yet? Wow. Now that's a big village you have built and it really looks so much better than any Mordheim I've ever played. Thumbs up!
Roky Erickson flies my spaceship!

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Smashing stuff there again Mason!!! Fanstastic :-*
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline Pil

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • One shot at glory
Very cool, looking forward to the next instalment!
Let me hear the battle cry
Calling on the wind
Let me see the banners fly
Before the storm begins

Offline Legionnaire Bert

• Mad Scientist
Re: The ruins of Krappefortt MORDHEIM (AAR Part 1) UD: 07/06
« Reply #642 on: June 08, 2012, 12:27:37 PM »

Bert had brought his Undead warband, with the experimental Skeletons.
(Same stats and cost as Zombies, but with the option to arm them. This does make them pretty much harder than an average Zombie, but you pay the money for equipping troops that gain no experience, so we feel it pans out pretty fairly so far.

Bert won the roll for table edge, and used what has become known as the famous 'Bert's Cunning Plan', (a tactic ever since I have known him).
He opted for the board edge which he was nearest to at the time!
Very cunning, eh?!?

I know, I am such a lazy turd when it comes to such things!  lol I cling on to my gamer credentials and playing mantra - "the only exercise which should be undertaken during a game should be the ocassional foray to the table or the fridge" 8) This doesn't include moving BEFORE a game in my book! Esepcially when one is comfy and nicely ensconced round one side of a table. ;) Besides, I liked the view from my side of the table ;D.

I think Mason's experimental house rules for skellies are working out very nicely. We have also house ruled that if a skelly makes his 6+ 'invulnerbale save' with a shield (another house rule for shields, to make them more of a viable purchase and thus give a wider range of models on the table, as people were tending towards two hand weapons every time) - this being when a weapon/creature's strength would ordinarily negate the shield's 6+ saving throw - then the succesful save destroys the shield for the remainder of the game (regained by the model for the next time it plays). Phew! What a long sentence, sorry :P; Mr Dee my Secondary School English teacher would be aghast! ;D

Also, should any attack by a skeleton's hand weapon result in a critical hit, the weapon is counted as destroyed for the remainder of the game (again, the model regains the weapon for subsequent games). This represents the skelly's equipment being ancient, rusted and generally full of holes (as suggested by the look of GW plastic skeletons). Such poor qulaity equipment is also easily replaced by skavenging discarded equipment about the streets of Krappefortt, hence being easily replaceable between games (and in terms of game mechanics, means the undead player doesn't constantly have to shell out on new equipment!). In game terms this means that there's always a risk with skeletons of them reverting to being only as effective as normal zombies for a proportion of a game. I would point out that skeletons seen wearing helmets is purely for decorative reasons - pretty pointless protecting a skelly from stunning!

Fantastic effort on the battle report again there Mason!  :-* Good pics too, mate - you sell yourself short on those ;) Another really good fun game - looking forward to part deux...

Bert aka Malkum von Castiron

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
The Battle Report & photos were BRILLIANT as always. All the Guys/Gals/Thingies seem rather camera shy...they're all moving away from the photographer.

Offline Thantsants

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Somewhere the tea's getting cold...
Gorgeous as ever - looking forwards to part deux.

Liking the house rules for the skellingtons and shields - very flavoursome!