Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 05:16:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
  • Total Members: 10485
  • Latest: Zombiu
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1694510
  • Total Topics: 118611
  • Online Today: 570
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 461
Total: 466

Recent

Author Topic: Round bases it is!......The ruins of Krappefortt (MORDHEIM)  (Read 395718 times)

Offline majorsmith

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: The ruins of Krappefortt MORDHEIM (The Warlock) UD: 16/08
« Reply #675 on: August 18, 2012, 10:02:00 AM »
fantastic stuff, i love the warlock! and the brown on the blacksmith leather apron is very well done, such an atmospheric thread

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
Re: The ruins of Krappefortt MORDHEIM (Dwarf Miner Rules) UD: 18/08
« Reply #676 on: August 18, 2012, 05:00:39 PM »
Is the Miner still digging?  lol

OK, Adam, I get the hint!
 ;)

Some time ago, after seeing Dwarf warbands have a really tough time of it in Krappefortt, getting outmanouvered pretty seriously game after game, we decided to see if we even things out a little for them.
They have no problems in combat, as you would expect, but in scenarios which required them to get around the table, they were suffering really badly.

To try and offset this we developed the Dwarf Miner rules below.
This also allowed the Dwarves an extra Hero, so they no longer received the +1 Shard at the end of the game.
We have playtested these rules for ten games now, and they seem to be working just fine.
In fact, they add an extra element to the game, causing a little trepidation in the opponent as to where the Miner (and up to two other members of the warband) will eventually appear, and also a little bit of fear for the Dwarf player if they want to try a risky deployment near a table edge!

I hope they make sense, as I had to rewrite them today as I could not find the original file, and they have not been proofread by anyone else.
(Fingers crossed!)

Here they are:

Dwarf Miner

0-1 Dwarf Miner; 50 gold crowns to hire
Dwarf Miners are respected members of Dwarf society. Their amazing ability to tunnel underground and exploit existing caves, sewers and cellars makes them a valued addition to any Dwarf Noble’s expedition.
M    WS    BS    S    T    W    I    A    Ld
3   4   3   3   4   1   2   1   9
Weapons/Armor: A Dwarf Miner may be equipped with weapons and armor chosen from the Dwarf Warrior equipment list.

A Miner starts with 10 experience

Special Rules:
    Miner; A Miner and up to two additional models may enter the table using the tunnels, sewers, cellars and natural caves under Krappefortt/Mordheim.

The ‘Target’ point:
    Before the start of the game, after terrain has been placed, the Dwarf player must nominate one piece of terrain as the ‘Target’ point for the Miner (and up to two companions) to appear. This is written down and kept secret from any opponents until a successful deployment roll has been made.

Deployment:
    At the start of each Dwarf Player turn, beginning with Turn 2, roll a D6 to see if the Miner has managed to find an exit point.
    On a 4+ he has found a suitable spot to surface.
    This D6 roll is increased by +1 for each subsequent turn, so on Turn 3 it will be successful on a 3+, and Turn 4 onwards success is assured on a 2+.
    There is no automatic chance of success; a roll of 1 always fails.

Once a successful roll has been made, place the Miner model in the indicated location and roll 2D6 and a scatter dice for direction (or use a D12 and a clock face), and move the Miner to this point.
    Dwarves may have an unerring sense of direction underground, but they still have to find a suitable exit point to tunnel out of!

Dangers:
    If this location is off of the board, then the Miner, and any companions chosen to accompany him, are ‘lost’ and cannot be used in this scenario. They will return unharmed in time for the next game (although the Miner may look a little embarrassed!).

If the exit point ends up being in a place where it would be considered impassable or dangerous: in a canal or river for example, then they do not appear during this game.
    They also have to roll on the Injury Table as if they have been taken Out of Action, at the end of the game.
    It is not such a good idea to exit from a tunnel excavated underneath a river. Drowning is a distinct possibility!

As you can see it pays to make sure that your ‘target’ point is at least 12 Inches from the table edge and any potential disastrous entry points.
    (Unless you feel luck, that is!)

Let me know what you think, and maybe try them out.

All feedback would be appreciated.
 :D

« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 11:22:23 AM by Mason »

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
  • Can't paint but dreams...
« Reply #677 on: August 18, 2012, 06:17:56 PM »
Thanks

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #678 on: August 19, 2012, 12:10:32 PM »
Great looking additions as always, congratulations.
Rob

Offline Faber

• Mastermind
  • onnivorous painter
    • Faber Ambitious Mordheim Project
« Reply #679 on: August 19, 2012, 07:11:38 PM »
yeah! Miner rules are a great addiction pal. I feel really sad playing with only 4 hero...a silly deficit IMO. I'll try these rules at the first chance. BTW, the "dangerous exit" rule will be a pain in my own version of Mordheim! lol
too many canals for a poor dwarf miner! lol
thanks for sharing!

Offline mweaver

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #680 on: August 19, 2012, 07:43:47 PM »
As always, visits to this thread are entertaining and inspiring. Thanks!

-Michael

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
« Reply #681 on: August 20, 2012, 01:09:00 PM »
Thanks

You are welcome, mate.
Hope you have as much fun with them as we do.
 ;)

Great looking additions as always, congratulations.
Rob

Thanks, Rob!
You are , at least partly, responsible for my return to the fantasy board with your latest wonderful project.
 :)

yeah! Miner rules are a great addiction pal. I feel really sad playing with only 4 hero...a silly deficit IMO. I'll try these rules at the first chance. BTW, the "dangerous exit" rule will be a pain in my own version of Mordheim! lol
too many canals for a poor dwarf miner! lol
thanks for sharing!

Glad that you like 'em, mate!
Maybe you need to modify them slightly so they can represent a Dwarven Engineer using the canals by dropping warriors into position via submarine.
 ;)

As always, visits to this thread are entertaining and inspiring. Thanks!

-Michael

Thank you very much, Michael!
 :)

We will be returning to Krappefortt on Monday for a game.
Hope to get some pictures posted after...

Offline maxxev

• Mad Scientist
    • My Blog
« Reply #682 on: August 21, 2012, 08:14:28 PM »
I like the miner rules too, but again in some terrain it would be really bad because of the dangerous terrain, I think I would say roll the 2D6 and scatter dice and they appear in the closest piece of scenary.

Also i'd add some skill options:
Expert direction finder: Miner only, the miner may re-roll the distance OR the scatter die when they appear.

I'd also add in a dteam drill, basically a 2 handed weapon, +3 strength, costs upkeep as if it was another warband member (fuel) and has this rule:
The miner may add one to deployment rolls, a roll of a natural 1 still fails.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
« Reply #683 on: August 22, 2012, 11:42:53 AM »
I like the miner rules too, but again in some terrain it would be really bad because of the dangerous terrain, I think I would say roll the 2D6 and scatter dice and they appear in the closest piece of scenary.

Well, we wanted an element of danger, and a little randomness.
Mining is not without its dangers.
It is not that dangerous if you are careful, not on our boards anyway.
It may be on Faber's board, but in that enviroment you would not expect a Miner to attempt tunneling anyway.
Unless he was either mad or suicidal, of course!
I dont see any need to change what has worked well so far, so will keep it how it is.

Also i'd add some skill options:
Expert direction finder: Miner only, the miner may re-roll the distance OR the scatter die when they appear.

I'd also add in a dteam drill, basically a 2 handed weapon, +3 strength, costs upkeep as if it was another warband member (fuel) and has this rule:
The miner may add one to deployment rolls, a roll of a natural 1 still fails.

I like the Miner skill, we may well use that.
Thanks!

Not sure about the drill.
I like the concept, but it may well prove too powerful.
Thinking on that one.....

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
  • Can't paint but dreams...
« Reply #684 on: August 22, 2012, 11:54:58 AM »
I will be adding the miner to my Dwar warband as soon as I have enough gold, the warband I did on my thread was done before I saw this....  :-[

Offline maxxev

• Mad Scientist
    • My Blog
« Reply #685 on: August 22, 2012, 11:56:03 AM »
Well, we wanted an element of danger, and a little randomness.
Mining is not without its dangers.
It is not that dangerous if you are careful, not on our boards anyway.
It may be on Faber's board, but in that enviroment you would not expect a Miner to attempt tunneling anyway.
Unless he was either mad or suicidal, of course!
I dont see any need to change what has worked well so far, so will keep it how it is.

I like the Miner skill, we may well use that.
Thanks!

Not sure about the drill.
I like the concept, but it may well prove too powerful.
Thinking on that one.....

Well instead of mining, on a canal based board it could be the miner using sewer tunners, etc. and the roll indicates him getting lost, but rather than turning up in the middle of a canal, instead he comes out at the closest grating he finds.

+3 STR is pretty good, but it's only 1 more than a 2 handed weapon, you could add that it's too un-wieldy to use with the strong man skill or to ever make more than one attack in a turn.
Also I'd add in that it only counts as an additional warband member after games it was actually used in (can be left in stash or you might choose to not use the miners ability in a game).

Offline Legionnaire Bert

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #686 on: August 22, 2012, 04:53:15 PM »
Great feedback chaps! 8)

I particularly like the idea of the Miner-only skill, Maxxev - think that will be making an appearance in our games! Like Mason, I am not sure about the drill, although the idea certainly does have its merits. One to ponder.

Been an age since I used my boys, the Pitts Bog Stealers. I am waiting for a suitable opportunity to set the wee men free (sounds wrong... :o). I've got three warbands on the go for Mason's current game setting - Dwarves, Possessed and Undead and I'm about to use a new Human Mercs one on BH Monday. I do wanna use my older warabnds, the Dwarves and Possessed, as they were getting tasty, so I hope my opponents hurry up and get more experienced!  :D

Bert

Offline anevilgiraffe

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://anevilgiraffe.blogspot.com/
« Reply #687 on: August 23, 2012, 12:57:49 PM »
ooo may revisit my Gamezone miners...

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
« Reply #688 on: August 23, 2012, 01:08:22 PM »
Well, it looks like we will be introducing maxxev's Miner skill.
That definitely fits well, and should work fine as it is.

ooo may revisit my Gamezone miners...

Some great figures in that range.
Maybe you should, as a break from Witch-hunting...
 ;)

Speaking of Miners: One of the figures that The Lockswin has painted for his Dwarves is a Miner.
Really nice paintjob.
Will have to make sure we get a good pic of that next time I see him.
 ;D

« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 08:19:10 AM by Mason »

Offline Faber

• Mastermind
  • onnivorous painter
    • Faber Ambitious Mordheim Project
« Reply #689 on: August 23, 2012, 02:26:32 PM »
yeah pal, pic is required!  :P
I've found some cool ol metal miners from GW in my leadmountain (rectius: in my dwarfs-leadmountain!  ;D). This rule really inspired me. And I agree about Maxxev' add: seems appropriate.