Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 11:02:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690846
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Haitian revolution project (fort pics added 30Dec)  (Read 20189 times)

Offline oxiana

• Mastermind
Haitian revolution project (fort pics added 30Dec)
« on: August 04, 2011, 09:57:55 AM »
My taste for all things Haitian is evolving into quite a little painting project. I've a unit of Trent Miniatures armed slaves and Haitian infantry on the table, and am about to order some Revolutionary era French infantry too. For the moment though, here's a slave leader with four-legged friend:

Figure is an Artizan pirate, with his cutlass swapped by a pistol, and his boots made into bare feet. Dog by Citadel.

Coming next, a Vodou altar with priest:

Off camera are various pigs and chickens looking worried at what the priest might have in mind!  ;)

« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 04:00:36 PM by oxiana »

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Haitian revolution project
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 10:43:52 AM »
Heroclix make a Voodoo Priest and a Voodoo Baron which might mix in with what you have in mind.
Cheers,
Poiter50

Offline marianas_gamer

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Our Man on Guam Watchman in the East
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 10:47:59 AM »
Very Nice, looking forward to more Revolutionary goodness!
Got to kick at the darkness till it bleeds daylight.

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 11:04:45 AM »
Developing into a nice and unusual project... well done!  8)

Offline yar68

• Scientist
    • Don't throw a 1
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 11:22:59 AM »
Very nice painting, its a very unusual period, I look forward to seeing more pics!!!

Offline WillieB

• Mastermind
  • Gotcha!
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 03:46:45 PM »
Another very inspirational figure! ;D
Keep up the good work!
Panic, Chaos and Disorder. My job here is done

Offline Belgian

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Wargame News and Terrain
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2011, 04:24:43 PM »
Looks great, the forum seems to be filled with haitian revolution threads! May also start to paint some kitbashed revolters!
Wargame News and Terrain Blog, daily updated with the latest wargame news

Interested click https://wargameterrain.blogspot.com/

Offline Schogun

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2011, 02:42:58 AM »
My interest is just starting, but it's building fast!

There seems to be a big void in figures though for the 1790 time frame. French Rev War (with bicornes) is a bit too late and American Rev War is too early.

Plus, a lot of uniforms at that time had top hats! (Brigade Games has early British with top hats.)

Update: Bicornes are fine. Top hats are out there.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 02:00:34 PM by Schogun »

Offline WillieB

• Mastermind
  • Gotcha!
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2011, 10:58:07 AM »

There seems to be a big void in figures though for the 1790 time frame. French Rev War (with bicornes) is a bit too late and American Rev War is too early.

Plus, a lot of uniforms at that time had top hats! (Brigade Games has early British with top hats.)

Not exactly. The main fighting in Haiti/St Domingue ( and the rest of the West Indies) spans the period between 1791 and 1809.
The Eureka French revolutionary figures in bicorne are ideal for this, and many of the Brigade Models Egyptian range can be used as well.
Victrix sells a separate set of (marine) top hats that can easily be adapted to French and/or standard British top hats. I agree that the Brigade top hats would be more suitable but those are , alas, not available separately.

The Eureka figures in ragged clothing form an excellent basis for revolting soldiers.

The Victrix 1804 French uniform is slightly different from the 1790s one, but even in 28mm scale hardly noticeable.

Main problem is with the British since the uniforms  from that period are quite distinct. Eureka will probably bring out early British one day, but that may still take a while. They do have Loewensteins' and Yorks' Chasseurs in their 100 club, but not many reactions yet.

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2011, 01:12:14 PM »
Great painting and lovely conversion again! ;D
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Schogun

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2011, 01:56:00 PM »
WillieB -- Do Brigade's British in top hats have the correct uniform? I can't tell from the photo.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 02:48:41 PM by Schogun »

Offline WillieB

• Mastermind
  • Gotcha!
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2011, 04:39:30 PM »
WillieB -- Do Brigade's British in top hats have the correct uniform? I can't tell from the photo.

AFAIK not I'm afraid.
The West India regiments mostly still wore the longer coat tails, or later, short jackets with half lapels.
Trent has a set of Chasseurs des Irois and Chasseurs de St. Domnique but I don't readily know of any other suitable figures.
Not sure what influence  local conditions had on the uniformity of the troops, but I suppose it must have been considerable.
The supply problem must have been enormous as well so the earlier uniforms were almost certainly still worn. Perhaps AWI?

Offline oxiana

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2011, 04:49:43 PM »

Not exactly. The main fighting in Haiti/St Domingue ( and the rest of the West Indies) spans the period between 1791 and 1809.
The Eureka French revolutionary figures in bicorne are ideal for this, and many of the Brigade Models Egyptian range can be used as well.
Victrix sells a separate set of (marine) top hats that can easily be adapted to French and/or standard British top hats. I agree that the Brigade top hats would be more suitable but those are , alas, not available separately.

The Eureka figures in ragged clothing form an excellent basis for revolting soldiers.

The Victrix 1804 French uniform is slightly different from the 1790s one, but even in 28mm scale hardly noticeable.

Main problem is with the British since the uniforms  from that period are quite distinct. Eureka will probably bring out early British one day, but that may still take a while. They do have Loewensteins' and Yorks' Chasseurs in their 100 club, but not many reactions yet.

I have to say that one worry that I've had with this period is that I'm going to get drawn into the minutiae of Napoleonic uniforms! My own take on this is that I'm happy to go for 'good enough within the spirit of the thing' rather than worry too much about the width of lapels and length of coat tails. Life's too short!  lol

In reality, I'm pretty sure that there would have been great variation in uniforms according to date, availability and campaign dress adopted for tropical climates. An interesting thing is that if you go to the Citadelle (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citadelle_Laferriere), that astounding monument to Haitian independence built soon after the revolutionary wars, you'll find all sorts of cannon dating from the late 1600s to to the early 1800s: all either bought or captured and pressed into service. So a table-top force could field all sorts of artillery if you so desired. I'm going to take an equally liberal attitude to the uniforms!

Anyway, I've finished a few more minis today, so after varnishing and photography I'll post some more pics soon.

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2011, 05:34:21 PM »

Take a look at Front Rank Napoleonic Spanish infantry in top hat and their artillery men.  Both a good start for conversions for British and Löwensteiners. FR also have Austrian Landwehr that maybe could be pressed into service as Löwensteiners
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 05:49:22 PM by traveller »

Offline Schogun

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2011, 06:35:12 PM »
Can anyone provide a direct link to the Eureka WFR yahoo group? I tried a lot of variations but nothing turned up. I'd like to see what they're up to...and add my support for early British.

Thanks