Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 08:08:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Hello everyone, Uniqe unit idea any input welcomed ;)!  (Read 4452 times)

Offline underfire987

• Bookworm
Hello everyone, Uniqe unit idea any input welcomed ;)!
« on: August 10, 2011, 01:54:01 AM »
I was brought into strange aeons by none other than "Uncle Mike" himself at the gaming club in calgary. I have played a few games , and won them all so far :P. I have very much enjoyed the game and i am very enthusiatic about making some of my own units for it. Some i am going too just use the stats of some of the lurkers for they fit well enough, but so far one unit really does need their own rules.

Their idea is abit complex but at the same time can be simplyfied.

The whole idea is basicly this unit (still working on name for em) You can use it as a normal standered option too play in your game. that is the first goal is too get a basic stat line for the unit i am currently thinking of using the *ancient warrior" and the "Fishman" stats as a base,  the goal is too make the lurker at a good 5 to 6 points.

Basicly this Lurker is going too be based off of a cult i am doing for my lurker force ( a uniqely my own) themed cult. Based off of a beast like gods, force, that is basicly invading our world and planning too take over it. Now this unit i am working on is what happens when they merged you with one of their lower hound/ hyena like spirits. They are turned into Hyrbids which fight for their now race and gods. (still thinking on how too work out this mechanic , i am thinking either a possesion like style set up , or having them even be moved into a portal or drawn in too it even) anyhow first i must come up with stats for them here are the images of them too show you guys kinda my idea of were they should go with stats.

I am using these gusy from reaper minis too repersent a fully turned human.

The idea is too keep them humanoid so that they can be armed with different weapons ect. i am thinking they should be tough but not too tough, able too take a hit and deal a hit back. but not a super righter their point level should not be high trying too keep it in the 5 to 6 range so i can use more than one  >:D!

any thoughts so far? i will be uploading pics of the progress of my miniatures soon too here and even getting some rough work done on em stat wise :D!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 07:34:53 PM by underfire987 »

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
Re: Hello everyone, Uniqe unit idea any input welcomed ;)!
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 07:55:31 AM »
My first thought is, that hyena-men fit the Cthulhu-oid description of ghouls....?
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline LidlessEye

• Mad Scientist
  • Recovering Cultist
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 12:23:45 PM »
Considering they seem to make an appearance in so many early religions, I think animal-headed beings and shapeshifters should certainly have a place in the game.  We tried to touch on this a bit with the Neanderthal Shaman in Shocking Tales #2, but that's just animalistic aspects rather than a complete merging.  The question is, do you write one generic profile for all sorts, or unique stats/abilities depending on the type of animal? 

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 01:04:30 PM »
'Beastmen' of course can be a kind of monster/lurker, I just thought that especially 'hyena-men' are close to the traditional Mythos 'ghoul'.

Offline underfire987

• Bookworm
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 07:29:46 PM »
No sadly this idea is based off abit of my own, and not off of the HP lovecraft series. However i am also using abit of African lore on the area as well if you guys wanted too use them for something besides what i am going too use them for with the stats ill get up eventualy its a good idea.

basicly onces i get the stats figured out for this unit then i am going too make the stats for the "Beast spirit" thing that will be able too possess guys and merg with em and create these hyrbid guys. that basicly will invovle me making a portal peice of terrian for them as well that if destroyed the ghost beasts will be taken off the board in fluff will fade away back to their place on the other side of the portal.

anyhow werid concepts but i think it will be fun too get them all set up for this themed cult :)!

anyhow  i defo want the Hybrids stats to have a DEX of 4+ , so that they have a decient chance too hit :P. and from their i think a based movement of 6  and a resolve of 4+.  

M              DEX            CON             A             W               RES
      6               4+                ?               ?              ?                4+

Skills:
I am thinking of using the skill suicidal, because it is uniqe, gives a all in bezerker feel too them and hasnt yet been used for any lurker model :P what do u think?

|BP:?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 07:36:48 PM by underfire987 »

Offline jnr

• Scientist
    • Jnr Paint & Model Shop
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 07:45:12 PM »
I think it's a good idea, had similar thoughts of doing a Solomon Kane type character fighting demons type creatures, every thing is in the rule book in the weapon to cover it my be with a slight tweak here and there and rules for the demons.

Offline Sheerluck Holmes

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2011, 02:14:17 AM »
This page shows the stats I typed up for my own beastmen I was working on:

http://strangeaeonsgames.pbworks.com/w/page/32468188/Green%20and%20Pleasant%20Land%20Lurkers

Offline Kamiya

• Assistant
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2011, 02:38:33 AM »
I think this is sweet.

I am doing similiar things but instead of creating new units with new statlines I choose the preexisting units and rename them to what I would like to have.
One of the reasons why I got into Strange Aeons is because it is a great generic rule set to create whatever environment and units you like.

I am very interested in folklore so right now I am working on my Japanese folklore themed project, the lurkers in the rulebooks will all be Japanese folklore spirits and monsters with such miniatures, just changing the names of the monsters in the book. Eventually I am going to create a Scandinavian folklore theme as well.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 02:42:42 AM by Kamiya »

Offline Sheerluck Holmes

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2011, 03:39:43 AM »
fantastic - I just wish we could get Japanese mythological figures!

Where in Nihon are you Kamiya?

Offline Kamiya

• Assistant
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2011, 04:33:07 AM »
I live in Nagoya, mate.

I get my Japanese warrior monk cultists from Perry miniatures, as for the mythological minis I am using Wyrd models.

I also sculpt my own:

Here are pictures of my latest sculpt, a depiction of the Japanese Oni
These are master models and not finished yet, still going to sculpt weapons and hands.

And here my first sculpt included, both of them are Oni

I am thinking of using the Shambler rules for them, seeing as they are big strong demons, kind of like Japanese ogres.

Sorry did not mean to hijack the thread, just want to say that this is what I am using for my own custom units.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 04:45:23 AM by Kamiya »

Offline underfire987

• Bookworm
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2011, 07:00:56 AM »
Thats alright you did not steal the post, im going too get some pics up of this force too help kinda get the idea going. basicly their "gods" are a force that has been invadng worlds in this and many other dimensions, they are infinitly beyond out imagination in the scale of what they rule over.

They are continuesly trying too enter worlds and take them over. The more life on a world that has been turned and hence filled with their essence , Curropted by it. They gain loyal forces to use in fighitng against those who oppose them in that world and others. These guys :

M              DEX            CON             A             W               RES
     5               4+                6                ?              ?                 D6+1

Weapon: ?

Skills:
I am thinking of using the skill suicidal, because it is uniqe, gives a all in bezerker feel too them and hasnt yet been used for any lurker model :P what do u think? or perhaps Violator!?

Special:Humanoid, Hideous

|BP:?

Whos stats I am still working on (trying too keep it as close as possible too some of the guys in the rule book, so that i dont have too much of a prob with the BP balancing. These guys will be able since their humanoid too be equipted with weapons from the weapon list in the game rules which is what i want for them.

This force makes us Humans into more than a few forms, This type of Hybrid is used for range or close combat attacks, relly on adaptability and capability. Also though can  be brutal in combat. yet they arent amazingly good at everything. They just carry the strengths of their animal part and the strengths of their human part.  

I will upload some pics of my models soon, but defo i am thinking more and more about the Degenerate and fishman mixing of stats. so they could be something like 4BP even!.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 07:03:52 AM by underfire987 »

Offline underfire987

• Bookworm
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2011, 04:46:45 PM »
I live in Nagoya, mate.

I get my Japanese warrior monk cultists from Perry miniatures, as for the mythological minis I am using Wyrd models.

I also sculpt my own:

Here are pictures of my latest sculpt, a depiction of the Japanese Oni
These are master models and not finished yet, still going to sculpt weapons and hands.

And here my first sculpt included, both of them are Oni

I am thinking of using the Shambler rules for them, seeing as they are big strong demons, kind of like Japanese ogres.

Sorry did not mean to hijack the thread, just want to say that this is what I am using for my own custom units.

also Damn awesome sculpting their :D!

Offline underfire987

• Bookworm
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2011, 08:03:50 PM »
Considering they seem to make an appearance in so many early religions, I think animal-headed beings and shapeshifters should certainly have a place in the game.  We tried to touch on this a bit with the Neanderthal Shaman in Shocking Tales #2, but that's just animalistic aspects rather than a complete merging.  The question is, do you write one generic profile for all sorts, or unique stats/abilities depending on the type of animal? 

I would thing on each type for wouldnt they be different from each other in areas of speed , strength , ect? 

Infact i have one model which i am going too use the stats of the Neanderthal Shaman for he fits the model perfectly :)!

Offline underfire987

• Bookworm
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2011, 08:06:19 PM »
'Beastmen' of course can be a kind of monster/lurker, I just thought that especially 'hyena-men' are close to the traditional Mythos 'ghoul'.

Very true and yes i could use ghoul stats for it, however after some changes ( youll see below) i think i am getting near done the stats. They also are going too be of course based on abit more of my uniqe fluff as well. Along with another unit i will be working on thats very connected too this one , though i will wait until i get this first unit all set up , after these two units i should be good for my games :P.  thanks for the idea though :)

Offline underfire987

• Bookworm
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2011, 08:08:18 PM »
This page shows the stats I typed up for my own beastmen I was working on:

http://strangeaeonsgames.pbworks.com/w/page/32468188/Green%20and%20Pleasant%20Land%20Lurkers

Very interesting stuff i remeber earlyer before i became a member i saw your scarecrow and boogyman stats and BP points on here as well, have you sorted out the point system too some point since this link was posted?

also every sunday i go too the gamingclub and mike himself is their so i have the opprotunity too show and get the input of him and another maker of the game as well :D! lucky me XD!