Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 06:16:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690594
  • Total Topics: 118339
  • Online Today: 840
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Random Spells or Choose your Spells  (Read 5862 times)

Offline Faust23

• Mastermind
  • Father of Sorrows
    • Strategic Elite: Skirmish Wargames for the Discerning Strategist
Random Spells or Choose your Spells
« on: August 25, 2011, 05:54:46 AM »
I'm collecting opinions for the fantasy supplement to my man-to-man skirmish game releasing in Dec.

Do you want to pick your wizard's spells, or roll for them like in Mordheim?

Discuss!  :D
Author of the Origins Award 2013 Nominated Brink of Battle: Skirmish Gaming through the Ages; Epic Heroes: Skirmish Gaming in the Realms of Fantasy; and Scrappers: Post-Apocalyptic Skirmish Wargames published by Osprey Games

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
Re: Random Spells or Choose your Spells
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 09:53:25 AM »
Always choose, that way you can build a strategy around various spells.

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 10:49:49 AM »
Agreed, why would you want to build a warband but not know how it works? If I'm using my wizard as a missile (lightning bolt, fireball) thrower, I don't want to suddenly find out all he can do is 'ultimate healing' or 'touch of evil' or something.

I don't mind if there's some restrictions - maybe, if taking several spells is an option, there could be different lists based on elements or different magical schools (can't have fireball and petrify, as one is a fire spell and one is an earth spell; can't have summon animals and summon skeletons, as one is a druid spell and one is a necromantic spell), which means not every wizard will have 1-fireball; 2-summon skeletons; 3-healing. For example.

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2011, 10:56:09 AM »
How about picking what sort of wizard type you will field eg. Offensive, defensive or as Red Orc mentioned, having elemental or school based spells that are all of the same type but have slight differences and then having a random selection from that.

Just a thought  :)

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2011, 11:11:09 AM »
Do your fighters get random weapons?
Today Snorri the Axe has been allocated...a bow and arrows! Better learn how to shoot Snorri :)
Wizards should choose based on their type as mentioned earlier.

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2011, 11:17:44 AM »
Today Snorri the Axe has been allocated...a bow and arrows! Better learn how to shoot Snorri :)

Radnor the Barbarian has been given the Sap for today's adventure against the Dragon of Burning Sands to rescue the maiden and obtain the treasure.

Good point Matakishi.  If you start a career as <fill in the blank> in a game or real life you usually have (or should have) "some control" on shaping your success.  Urologists take different advanced training over Optometrists.

Gracias,

Glenn

Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline The Gray Ghost

• Mastermind
  • Beware The Gray Ghost
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2011, 11:59:45 AM »
Definitely choose my own spells.
I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it anymore and what is it seems weird and scary.

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
  • Can't paint but dreams...
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2011, 12:21:02 PM »
Choose, I rolled random once for WFRP, never again. I had a spell that had no effect in the game and my mate had cool stuff like fireball and one which allowed him to control my siege engine!

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2011, 12:48:53 PM »
How about picking what sort of wizard type you will field eg. Offensive, defensive or as Red Orc mentioned, having elemental or school based spells that are all of the same type but have slight differences and then having a random selection from that.

Just a thought  :)

cheers

James
That could be a good middle road, where you have different types of wizard that would only allow certain types of spells. Fire - destructive; water - life/healing; wind - movement spells and earth - defensive spells for instance.

Offline Johnno

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2011, 04:20:29 PM »
Having played many games of this edition of Warhammer, I believe you should be able to choose your Wizard's spells to suit your needs.

There should be different power levels/difficulties to the spells also. And a cap on the number of spells/level of difficult spells a wizard can have based on their own skill level.

Yearly painting challenges only show me how useless I am at painting...

Offline Cory

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2011, 04:30:58 PM »
Choose - the random spell thing all too often is a hopelessly flawed attempt at balance that ignores the current game and goes for things evening out over a whole lot of games.

That being said I don't mind some variablity, but random spells are just going too far.

Offline number9

• Librarian
    • breadandwargames
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2011, 04:32:05 PM »
Why not both?

You could have a sub-type of mage that randomly gets spells. The benefit of this is you might get lucky and roll spells or combinations of spells you couldn't otherwise have chosen (depending on how you've built spell power structure). The downside is that it is all random. You might get nothing useful.

The rest of your more standard mage types would just pick their "school" and the spells allowed under it, or pick things following certain prerequisites (need to learn "teleport self" before learning "teleport group" for example).

Offline Doomhippie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2011, 05:31:24 PM »

Hihi. that sounds like this rather crappy computer version of space hulk that's been around ten years ago (or even longer). The mission objective: "Flame that room." The Emperor has carefully chosen your weapons. You carry this... pair of lightning claws!

Ooops, mission failed.
Roky Erickson flies my spaceship!

Offline Colonel Tubby

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2011, 05:36:51 PM »
Choose.  :)

Offline Faust23

• Mastermind
  • Father of Sorrows
    • Strategic Elite: Skirmish Wargames for the Discerning Strategist
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2011, 04:29:00 AM »
One of my beefs with Mordheim was the random spells.  Lady Luck tends to give you the finger when you least expect it.

My initial thought was to select. Its a points based build, so choosing and paying the points makes the most sense to me.

However, I wanted to get a 'feel for the audience' and there is overwhelming evidence that we are all mostly in agreement.

Thanks for the assist!