Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 05:02:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691079
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 9
Guests: 754
Total: 763

Recent

Author Topic: Teutonic Efficiency vs. Canadian No Can Do  (Read 6227 times)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
Teutonic Efficiency vs. Canadian No Can Do
« on: November 13, 2007, 04:48:23 PM »
Sorry, not to be meant as a slur on the friendly Great White North but as cudos to a forum sponsor. A while ago I put in an order to RAFM (Silverfox) for some Chtulu miniatures. Somehow Paypal botched the seller/buyer info so the order was cancelled yesterday which is when I first heard of this situation. Now, since time is of the essence if I am to be able to enter a team for the last round of LPL I stated to look arround for a European shop that might stand a chance to deliver before the weekend. And would you credit it, Battlefield Berlin upon email request dashed out the doors to the der Briefdienstleister Deutsche Post just to see if they could get the merchendize to Stockholm before my tobacconist-cum-post-office closes its doors on Friday. And they could! To normal postal fairs even, bless their little grey lederhosen! So my point is, good choice of sponsors, Alex.

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
Re: Teutonic Efficiency vs. Canadian No Can Do
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2007, 04:51:13 PM »
Quote from: "hammershield"
Sorry, not to be meant as a slur on the friendly Great White North but as cudos to a forum sponsor. A while ago I put in an order to RAFM (Silverfox) for some Chtulu miniatures. Somehow Paypal botched the seller/buyer info so the order was cancelled yesterday which is when I first heard of this situation. Now, since time is of the essence if I am to be able to enter a team for the last round of I stated to look arround for a European shop that might stand a chance to deliver before the weekend. And would you credit it, Battlefield Berlin upon email request dashed out the doors to the der Briefdienstleister Deutsche Post just to see if they could get the merchendize to Stockholm before my tobacconist-cum-post-office closes its doors on Friday. And they could! To normal postal fairs even, bless their little grey lederhosen! So my point is, good choice of sponsors, Alex.

"Deutschland Uber Alles " :mrgreen:

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007, 05:14:46 PM »
really happy to hear that, Peder, can't wait to see your asylum-what-ever Cthulhu entry  :)

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2007, 11:41:46 AM »
When I was in West Berlin [as it was] in the late 80's there were no wargames shops that I could find :(

Shame Battlefield Berlin weren't in business then, but I'm glad to see they appear to be well run.

They have some very tempting products......  :)  

Good to know we have some more Nordic Nightmares to look forward to :lol:

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2007, 10:55:11 AM »
Got the miniatures yesterday, just as promised. Got to love the Hun.

Offline BattlefieldBerlin

• Schoolboy
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2007, 01:06:17 PM »
We made some gifts to the Outer Gods to make sure you get your stuff. Hope you can make some points on the table :)

Offline Will Bailie

• Mastermind
    • Will's toy soldier blog
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2007, 08:24:46 PM »
I am very jealous.  I am subject to the whims and caprices of Canada Post and the Canadian Border Services.  Apparently, we here in Canuckistan are expected to wait up to 75 days for packages sent from outside Canada to make their way to our door.  (I found out this charming bit of information when I inquired about a package that had been posted over a month earlier).  And of course, once the packages finally do arrive, they are accompanied by an invoice for GST plus another amount, usually greater than the tax, that is laughingly called a "handling fee".  That's the bit I don't really get, that I must pay the post office to collect a tax.

The one saving grace is that I can still get Mr Murch's Pulp Figures in a reasonable time!

Offline Cory

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2007, 09:28:45 PM »
WB, I have a friend south of you in Lethbridge that has a PO Box just south of the border for that exact reason.

Offline Will Bailie

• Mastermind
    • Will's toy soldier blog
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2007, 09:58:55 PM »
Of course, Cory, that's where my laziness gets the better of me.  The effort involved in maintaining a PO Box in Montana is just too much:  10 h round trip to Great Falls, putting up with an interrogation by US Dept of Homeland Security on the way south, then Canadian Border Services on the way back north, and probably STILL getting dinged for the GST.  No, I'll wait for the post office to eventually deliver my package, and in the meantime order from Canadian suppliers, or see what's on the shelf at the Sentry Box!

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2008, 08:20:01 PM »
Quote from: "Will Bailie"
I am very jealous.  I am subject to the whims and caprices of Canada Post and the Canadian Border Services.  Apparently, we here in Canuckistan are expected to wait up to 75 days for packages sent from outside Canada to make their way to our door.  (I found out this charming bit of information when I inquired about a package that had been posted over a month earlier).  And of course, once the packages finally do arrive, they are accompanied by an invoice for GST plus another amount, usually greater than the tax, that is laughingly called a "handling fee".  That's the bit I don't really get, that I must pay the post office to collect a tax.

The one saving grace is that I can still get Mr Murch's Pulp Figures in a reasonable time!

It doesn't look any better the other way arround. I have been wating for one letter and one parcel from RAFM, Canada, for more than a month. It is true that I by mistake did not chose the more rapid option but had I ordered from the US I know from experience I would have had the goods by now antway.

Offline Col.Stone

• Mastermind
    • The compound
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2008, 09:36:43 PM »
I've found that mail from across the atlantic is very unreliable in terms of deliverytimes, sometimes i have my stuff in days, other times i forget that i bought it..
Are you getting hit by customs often hammershield, i've only got "caught" once and that was less than pleasant,
nearly doubled the price of the tanks i'd ordered after fees and taxes..  :cry:
I've heard rumours that goods under a certain value don't get taxed?

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2008, 09:44:00 PM »
That is true, though that value is quite low and also varies if you tick the goods or gift box. I've been bitten a few times and it's not fun.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2008, 10:53:02 AM »
Quote from: "Col.Stone"
I've found that mail from across the atlantic is very unreliable in terms of deliverytimes, sometimes i have my stuff in days, other times i forget that i bought it..
Are you getting hit by customs often hammershield, i've only got "caught" once and that was less than pleasant,

Yes, IME I only seem to get hit when the order is above arround $30 or so, whithout being exact. Which is something I keep in mind when I order from across the pond. My latest order from Amazon.com was actually split up by Amazon itself which means I dodged tax all together. Don't know if it was intenti0onal or coincident.

Offline Col.Stone

• Mastermind
    • The compound
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2008, 12:26:50 PM »
If it was a bookorder then i think they actually let a higher amount "slip" aswell, since the the tax is lower on those :)

It might have been that they shipped the books from different locations, i orered a book on amazon.co.uk and got it shipped from New zealand once.

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2008, 02:13:04 PM »
Quote from: "hammershield"
Quote from: "Col.Stone"

Yes, IME I only seem to get hit when the order is above arround $30 or so, whithout being exact. Which is something I keep in mind when I order from across the pond. My latest order from Amazon.com was actually split up by Amazon itself which means I dodged tax all together. Don't know if it was intenti0onal or coincident.

This is my experience as well. I've only ever been taxed for the most expensive orders I've made from outside the EU. They were around the $60 mark or thereabouts. I presume the customs officers are simply overworked.
"When to keep awake against the camel's swaying or the junk's rocking, you start summoning up your memories one by one, your wolf will have become another wolf, your sister a different sister, your battle other battles, on your return from Euphemia, the city where memory is traded." - Italo Calvino