Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:35:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686665
  • Total Topics: 118120
  • Online Today: 817
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Super-soldiers?  (Read 22746 times)

Offline Chief Lackey Rich

• Mastermind
Re: Super-soldiers?
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2011, 09:19:47 PM »
I don't think there's a major military organization on the planet that hasn't at least looked at whether psychic powers like ESP, telepathy, or simple luck are real or not, and if real, if they can be trained, enhanced, and exploited for military use.  Having some or all of those powers show up would seem to fit the meme - add pyrokinetics ala Firestarter or or "throw-a-tank" level teleks if you want a higher power level.

If technology includes "alien equipment recovered from a Roswell/Tunguska UFO crash site" stuff, almost anything goes for what kinds of weapons/battlesuits you might have access to, and what powers they might grant.  Even with lesser real-world tech, please do the sensible thing and give your elite, ultra-rare supersoldiers with enhanced strength customized personal armor and weaponry to match.  If Captain Bicep is strong enough to lift a 10-ton truck he can be given one heck of a big gun to lug around - and if he's not naturally bulletproof, they'll make him superheavy armor to wear that makes most man-portable weapons a mere nuisance.

Oh, and don't forget, the original Human Torch was a flat-out android, and GI Robots (often with strangely human behavior) have been a staple of comics for years.  Uplifted gorillas are popular too - so popular that DC used to have an editorial limit on how many monkeys, apes, or gorillas could appear on comic covers in a given month.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 09:32:17 PM by Chief Lackey Rich »

Offline Inso

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Often confused or misunderstood...
    • Inso's World
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2011, 09:34:08 PM »
Although everything you have said makes a lot of sense, I want to keep them looking like standard superheroes...and the weapons and tech will be aimed at a less fatal sort of design...speed, agility and strength being the main weapons.

I can see the reality of your brute being dressed in heavy armour and carrying a big gun but it doesn't really scream superhero to me.  Now I know I said super-soldier but that was more aimed at their powers rather than their look.  When finished, I want them to look like Marvel characters rather than super soldiers.

I am not really sure about the whole magic/psychic powers thing...

Offline Hat Guy

• Mastermind
  • If you want peace, prepare for war.
    • Superhero Gaming Blog
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2011, 12:27:16 AM »
Ultimate Black Widow does have cybernetic enhancements, she's a defected Russian Super Soldier from the 1990s.

Offline Chief Lackey Rich

• Mastermind
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2011, 01:10:52 AM »
Although everything you have said makes a lot of sense, I want to keep them looking like standard superheroes...and the weapons and tech will be aimed at a less fatal sort of design...speed, agility and strength being the main weapons.

I can see the reality of your brute being dressed in heavy armour and carrying a big gun but it doesn't really scream superhero to me.  Now I know I said super-soldier but that was more aimed at their powers rather than their look.  When finished, I want them to look like Marvel characters rather than super soldiers.

I am not really sure about the whole magic/psychic powers thing...

Ah, okay - what role are your costumed supersoldiers playing in the war?  They probably aren't going on military ops if nonlethal (or at least less fatal) tactics are the norm.  Are they being used more for publicity - morale boosting at home fighting battles (maybe even staged for the camera?) against fifth columnists, gangsters, and spies?  Maybe carefully planned special ops missions against "soft" targets with plenty of nearby backup to rescue the heroes if something goes wrong?

I could see a game with two distinct groups of supers, one "public" and full of colorfully dressed pretty faces with showy but ineffective powers and the other "covert" with all the real military experience/training, nasty weapons, ghastly powers that kill horribly, and probably a high turnover rate.  There might even be quite a bit of friction between the two, especially if the pretty boys don't approve of pragmatic tactics and the coverts get tired of never getting any credit for their actions.

Offline TheMightyFlip

• Mastermind
  • Smoggie!!
    • Flips Miniatures
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2011, 08:54:53 AM »
Mockingbird is the latest to be injected with the Infinity formula, though this version is mixed with the super soldier serum.

Wolverine is a super soldier, as is Fantomex.

Offline wellender

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2011, 05:15:40 PM »
Ultimate Black Widow does have cybernetic enhancements, she's a defected Russian Super Soldier from the 1990s.

Oops.  I was thinking 616 Black Widow.  No cybernetics, but has the Infinity Formula.  Which Ultimate Widow had the cybernetics?  I know the first one became Iron Widow, but I don't recall the her being a cyborg.  I know there was a second one after her, but I didn' read much of that one.

Offline Hat Guy

• Mastermind
  • If you want peace, prepare for war.
    • Superhero Gaming Blog
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2011, 11:29:08 PM »
They never really expressly say what "enchantments" Ultimate Black Widow has, but she remarks about her implants acting up and there's a discussion about her role in a Russian Super Soldier programme.

Offline Inso

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Inso's World
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2011, 02:20:58 AM »
I have been thinking about this little project and I have decided to go with:

Nick Fury (NOT the film version)

Iron Man (an amalgam of the comic book and film versions - he'll have the film's boots/gloves)
Black Widow
Hurricane
Juggernaut (a special version I found while searching the web)
Beast (He will be like the film version in X-Men 3 when he puts the leather jacket/trousers on)

I thought about Captain America but he doesn't add anything special to the group apart from a shield (in looks rather than strengths)...so the Beast will take his place.  I thought about Wolverine instead but I thought the beast was a bit more civilised (as strange as that sounds).

Offline Inso

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Inso's World
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2011, 08:46:08 PM »
It's a start:

Offline Ajsalium

• Mad Scientist
    • Role 'n' Roll
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2011, 08:01:07 PM »
Boob widow!

Because the first superpower females have is gravity-defying megaboobs. Everybody knows that. :D

And before you paint your sculpts, have a talk with Kev.
Blog updated Jan 21st
ROLE 'N' ROLL

Tell the truth, do what's right, and face the consequences. -Me.

Offline hubbabubba

• Mastermind
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2011, 09:05:06 PM »
What about Marshal Law, the hero hunter, though team work was never his strong point

Offline Inso

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Inso's World
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2011, 02:04:54 PM »
Epic fail on the arms (so they have now been removed and shortened ready for re-sculpt) but you can view it as a WIP:

In the pic are a Grymn, Black Widow (as the arms are about to be removed), human trooper and the next WIP...Hurricane.

I was caught up in the sculpt and kept going even though I knew the arms were a little long...never mind, they are gone now.

As for Marshall Law... ??? what the heck is that?!  Not one for the group I fear.

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2011, 02:29:19 PM »
Marshall Law, kinda of like Dredd, only a bit more facist. ;)
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline Inso

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Inso's World
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2011, 08:50:40 PM »
I have re-sculpted the arms/hands now:

The Marshal Law character looks a bit too overly stylised (a bit like Death's Head) for my liking...

Offline Inso

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Inso's World
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2011, 07:32:17 PM »
I had to paint her...