Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 08:29:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691047
  • Total Topics: 118365
  • Online Today: 809
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Deadwood review  (Read 7452 times)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
Re: Deadwood review
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2011, 10:15:19 AM »
That mix of biblical and the bluest language heard on television is quite something...

But as for the best show HBO's ever done... I don't think so.

I rate all of Band of Brothers, Sopranos, The Wire, Rome, Game of Thrones and The Larry Sanders Show all rate higher, IMO.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 10:23:47 AM by Hammers »

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
  • Can't paint but dreams...
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2011, 11:49:01 AM »
I have had the 3 series on my pile to watch ( near my Lead Mountain) but I have another 30 series of CSI, Wire, Shield etc, to watch as well

Watch deadwood first, you'll watch one season straight through without knowing it's 5am!

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2011, 11:51:37 AM »
That mix of biblical and the bluest language heard on television is quite something...

But as for the best show HBO's ever done... I don't think so.

I rate all of Band of Brothers, Sopranos, The Wire, Rome, Game of Thrones and The Larry Sanders Show all rate higher, IMO.

Not seen them all but the Rome I saw looked like Dynasty in sandles! BoB was good though, but I suppose it comes down to what you like, and Old West is not often so realisitcally made so it's that (and Lovejoy swearing) that tips the scales. Plus OW has always intetested me.

Offline Galland

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2011, 10:45:06 AM »
I have allways liked cowboy movies, and even though I dont watch tv that much, I did go through True Blood, wich was super good, then the zombie tv series, really nice, so might as well check this one out as well. I dont like Band of Brothers, it was too much flagwaving and fantasy for my taste, so comparing it to that was not the best way of getting me to watch it. However, I do like swearing, and a combination of cowboys and bad language must be good eh?
Tintin - Pulp Adventures in a orderly fashion
Gallows Falls - Western Village
Eisende - Mordheim costal village WIP
Rome - SPQR & Hail Caesar

Offline General Roos

• Mastermind
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2011, 11:05:38 AM »
I love Deadwood. Awesome character portraits. Well written dialogue and a wonderful set.

One of my two favourite series - all time.
Current projects:
A Fistful of Kung Fu

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2011, 12:26:08 PM »
I love Deadwood. Awesome character portraits. Well written dialogue and a wonderful set.

One of my two favourite series - all time.

And the other one?

Offline General Roos

• Mastermind
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2011, 01:46:26 PM »
And the other one?

The Bold and the Beautiful!  ;)  Nah, just kidding. Boardwalk Empire. 

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2011, 03:47:23 PM »
 author=Galland link=topic=33245.msg392530#msg392530 date=1316684706]
I dont like Band of Brothers, it was too much flagwaving and fantasy for my taste, so comparing it to that was not the best way of getting me to watch it.
[/quote]

Well, it is a series about American soldiers after all. Ever since I saw BoB I would love to see a similar series made about a company from a Fallschimrjäger regiment. Truthful, warts and all, and by a German based on German historical research.

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2011, 04:41:06 PM »
The Bold and the Beautiful!  ;)  Nah, just kidding. Boardwalk Empire. 

I caught one episode but really didn't think much, though it might be because it was not the first... perhaps I should try again

Offline Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2011, 09:19:48 PM »
First episode of Boardwalk Empire was great. Then it kinda got worse until they introduced  the WW1 veteran with half a face. Loved that character and kept watching just to see him in action. In the end I was highly unsatisfied by the first season which imo was really uneventful, they kept winding the story up but the payoff was meager. I may return to season 2 just to see more of that half faced guy. Rothstein ( I think his name was) was also one character that caught my interest, though I always felt he was thrown in just to have a well spoken "villain" and as such his addition was shallow.
Michael Pitt I pretty much hate, though he does get better in the later episodes.
I love Steve Buscemi but his character and his portrayal of said character is not working for me at all.
Above all I have a hard time seeing where HBO wants to go with that show, they do seem to throw in more tits and ass for no reason than in Rome or Deadwood as a desperate attempt to keep your attention. And don't get me started on the female lead and her cringe worthy accent.
It does look really damn good though, both the sets and the costumes.

Hopefully second season will be more eventful and not another 12 episodes of buildup.

Offline Galland

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2011, 10:03:45 PM »
Okay, I followed your, and others, advice and actually downloaded the whole series. I have now watched the first 4 episodes, and at first it I must admit that it grossed me out, but eventually, the language, the story and characters grown on me, and now I got to watch the whole series hehe.

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2011, 10:13:57 PM »
Okay, I followed your, and others, advice and actually downloaded the whole series. I have now watched the first 4 episodes, and at first it I must admit that it grossed me out, but eventually, the language, the story and characters grown on me, and now I got to watch the whole series hehe.

Yeah it's raw, but in the end that is part of the charm!

Offline Galland

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2011, 11:25:42 AM »
Well, the swearing aside, its the use of the english language, its beutfully written, and I really like it. I am not particular sensitive, actually not at all, however, the language must be interesting, despite or due to the swearing.
If its just a bunch of ignorant and uneducated gangers motormouthing away, it tend to be rather booring and just foster a general feeling of a wish for free assault rifle give aways, well I feel that almost everytime I accidently happend to watch tv.

Offline General Roos

• Mastermind
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2011, 08:15:31 PM »
Well, the swearing aside, its the use of the english language, its beutfully written, and I really like it.

Yeah, both Swearengens and Farnums tirades is quite Shakespearean.

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2012, 08:37:31 AM »
Wow!  Finished watching this last night, classic TV.  Wanted more....  I love the fact that there are no black or white hats, just people doing what they had to to achieve their aims.  A real change to the run of the mill western................
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'