Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 01:50:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: My Song of Blades and Heroes warbands  (Read 11554 times)

Offline Lawful Evil

• Scientist
Re: My Song of Blades and Heroes warbands
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2011, 08:31:12 AM »
Loving the themed warbands, its really helping me get motivated to finish my Arabian/Middle Eastern themed warband. At the moment they are at about the same stage as your Revenant warband, undercoated and making me feel guilty from the shelf! Any chance we could get a look at you warband army lists?

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2011, 08:58:35 AM »
The idea of the dices is brilliant, i wish i have your patience to make such nice warbands! =) =) =)

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2011, 02:12:17 PM »
The Living Impaired Lads look potentially TERRIFIC...I really like the mounted Fellow. Have FUN with the painting.
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline Onemanworkshop

• Assistant
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2011, 02:47:52 PM »
I don't have any rosters for the zombie or revenant warbands just yet. I decided to just put together warbands based on what I thought would be cool rather than restricting myself to a list or total points value. Once I get tired of building warbands I'll revert to game mode and start costing up all the troops. I also wanted to get a lot of stuff painted so I can make color reference cards for each of the troops and print them through Artscow. I need at least 50 different figures done to do the reference cards. I'll be posting that project here as well.

Dice for the zombies have been ordered! Chessex Red/Green Gemini, with white pips, I'll recolor the pips a pale purple.
WHAT do you mean I lost!!! I had MORE fun!

Offline Onemanworkshop

• Assistant
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2011, 01:55:47 AM »
Revenant warband in progress. These guys are being a pain in the ass to paint, too many small details! I will be glad to have them done, and look forward to something simpler to paint next.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 11:27:37 PM by Onemanworkshop »

Offline Diakon

• Mad Scientist
  • Fancy a Battlefight?
    • My Blog - Tales From The Lead Pile
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2011, 02:02:49 PM »
Nice thread mate. Love all three of these warbands and looking forward to finished pics of the revenants.
 :D

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2011, 02:16:01 PM »
COOL! W.I.P. photos are a great answer to the inevitable "how-did-yo-do-that" questions...NICE PROGRESS!

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2011, 02:25:40 PM »
Good stuff, Onemanworkshop!

I am enjoying watching the progress of your warbands.
I particularly like the way you choose a colour pallette for each band.
It really ties each band together, whilst your bases tie them all in as a whole.

Excellent work, looking forward to the next update.

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2011, 02:40:32 PM »

Fantastic stuff! 

Everything is lovely, but the first warband has brilliant use of colour.  Great job.

Offline Onemanworkshop

• Assistant
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2011, 02:00:03 AM »
Whoo Hoo! The Revenant warband is finished!

It took me quite a few tries to get the bones to look the way I wanted. I was going for dirty looking undead with battered and rusted weapons and equipment. I think I succeeded pretty much. It was a tough slog with lots of details in the smaller figures. I really miss the nice chunky GW models of the 90's, those were fun to paint. I have the next warband lined up and will post them once I get them primed...

Figure manifest:
- The mounted guy is Reaper Miniatures, Golgoth the Ancient, Skeletal Knight
- The four large armored warriors are Reaper Miniatures, Barrow Warden and Wight miniatures.
- The leader is the guy with the cloak, Reaper Miniatures, Vardus the Interred, Skeletal Warrior
- The large guy (or gal?) with the scythe is a Reaper Miniatures, Ashkrypt, Liche
- All the smaller armored fighters are Mantic Miniatures, Revenants
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 11:28:06 PM by Onemanworkshop »

Offline Lawful Evil

• Scientist
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2011, 03:24:14 AM »
Nice work, again, with the limited palatte. Does you choice of basing reflect a gaming surface you play on frequently? I really like the way you've achieved you rusted metal look, any chance you could give us a quick rundown of the process?

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2011, 07:30:32 AM »
really nice! :-*

About the gameplay, don't you think that some shooters would be nice? =)

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2011, 02:03:32 PM »
Oh, they are GORGEOUS! That is one classy looking Band of Living Impaired Lads. VERY WELL DONE!

Offline Onemanworkshop

• Assistant
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2011, 02:40:28 PM »
I was quite proud of how the rusty metal turned out, and using all craft paints s well. The only miniatures specific stuff I used was GW inks. Here is the rundown, just keep in mind I had no idea what I was doing, and just did what I thought would work.

Rusty metal:
Paint, dark metalic silver
Wash, light rust orange color
Wash, black ink
Drybrush, dark metalic silver
Wash, dark rust orange/brown. Do this kind of spotty
Final drybrush of bright silver

I'm sure there are more efficient ways of getting this same effect, but I really like the way it turned out. All the layers really build some complexity to the coloring with little effort. I also found that a medium brown color is great for weathering red, dulls it down in just the right way to make it look aged.

Offline Onemanworkshop

• Assistant
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2011, 02:37:33 PM »
Burning Sands Orcs

This warband is based on some Orcs I have from Heroscape and some D&D Cyclops figures. I made sure to include some shooters in it, since re-reading the SoBH rules, shooters are important, I'll have to reinforce the other warbands with shooters, at some point in the future.

I will be trying a little different basing color scheme with these and try to make the look a but more desert-y. I should have used a finer sand to flock the bases, but the Orcs were started some time ago, so I'll just work with it.

The color scheme I have in mind follows the original Heroscape figures, turquoise blue/green skin with bronze armor and black clothing. The Cyclops figures will have pale purple skin with the bronze and black armor and clothing to make the warband look cohesive. I am still undecided how to do the raptor mounts. I can go with a sandy earth tone to match the basing, or go wild with bright tiger stripes and such. I'll see what others have done and see what looks cool, because that's all that really matters with these, to look cool. If I can't win very many games, at least I can look good losing.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 11:30:59 PM by Onemanworkshop »