Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 02:59:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: My Song of Blades and Heroes warbands  (Read 11556 times)

Offline Onemanworkshop

• Assistant
My Song of Blades and Heroes warbands
« on: October 17, 2011, 03:25:30 AM »
I'll be using this topic to track my various warbands I create for playing Ganesha Games, Song of Blades and Heroes range of games. For now I'm just making some warbands from miniatures I have on hand or have picked up recently. I'll be collecting and painting up warbands for each of my friends as well. I may do some project tracking, and do a miniature manifest for each warband so you guys can track down the figures if you like them as well. My main focus for this is to just have fun and make some really interesting warbands to fight each other with simple rules. For now I just have the core set of the warband I developed using the WARBAND BUILDER tool available online by Ray Forsythe. A very handy tool for creating your SoBH warbands. Here is a link to the warband file I created using the Warband Builder.

I think this will be a fun little endeavor, and has helped rekindle my love for painting small little toys. The warbands are just the right size so I don't get burned out from painting for a whole army, and I really get to go wild with color schemes. I also will be fairly experimental as I know if I think of some better colors, figures, or basing style, I can always pick up more figures and do it again. All of these new figures will be based on metal fender washers, and I'll be using cheap craft paint to paint them. The goal here is to have them look good on the table, and I want to enjoy playing around with color schemes, washes, drybrushing, layering and glazing, just have some fun painting figures.

The first warband I finished for this is the Ethereal Nightmares. This warband started off with the Ejhin de Vanth figure by Rackham. I always thought that this figure would be great as a leader of some twisted spirit, ethereal, magical warband. So I picked up figures with this in mind. I wanted something between a chaos and undead feel, just a dream like quality, but scary cool. In the end I think I picked the right mix of figures to start off this faction. I have many more figures now to add to this group, but I want to make a variety of playable warbands to begin with, then expand on them later making full blown factions. I'll be uploading my progression through each warband, from primer to flocked.

The Ethereal Nightmare Warband

The figure manifest from this group:
    - The 2 frog like creatures on the left are D&D miniatures Nothics.
    - The open mouthed bloated things are Soul Grubs from the Dreamblade game.
    - The two white faces smokey things are Dreamstuff entities, also from the Dreamblade game.
    - The two running screeming guys are Screambent Lunatics, also from the Dreamblade game.
    - The two winged demons are Shadow Demons from D&D miniatures.
    - The large beast on the right is a Displacer beast lord from D&D miniatures.
    - The large smoke thing in back is a Caller in Darkness, from D&D miniatures.
    - The horned lady on the right is Ejhin de Vanth from Rackham miniatures.
    - And finally the other floating female summoner is a Heroscape figure, Runa, with a cloak from the bits box.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 11:24:52 PM by Onemanworkshop »
WHAT do you mean I lost!!! I had MORE fun!

Offline Onemanworkshop

• Assistant
Re: My Song of Blades and Heroes warbands
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 03:46:33 AM »
The Zombie Horde Warband

The figure manifest for this group:
  - The zombies are all from Heroscape, I have a total of 15 of them done for this group.
  - The ghast in the center is from Reaper Miniatures, Maugramak, Ghast Hero
  - The female on the left is also from Reaper Miniatures, Darkthrall Priestess
  - The large zombie ogre is a D&D Zombie Hulk figure
  - and finally the large necromancer is a Bloodelf Necromancer from World of Warcraft minaitures game. It has been modified with a staff from Reaper miniatures,  Darkspawn Weapons Pack

« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 11:26:17 PM by Onemanworkshop »

Offline DowVooVoo

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 04:14:18 AM »
good GODS those are nice!!!! :-* :-* :-* :-* :o :o :o :o

Offline phreedh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Carpe plumbum!
    • Phreedh's Ministuff
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 06:29:37 AM »
All around great job on these, but I really like the Zombie Hulk repaint. I've got one lined up for paint here, it's a fun model.
Please visit my miniature gaming blog at http://ministuff.godzilla.se

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 02:04:45 PM »
Those really are a SPECTACULAR collection of Nasties...the colors are vibrant without being garish. VERY IMPRESSIVE & BEAUTIFULLY WELL DONE!
Now I've got to go look at them more closely to pick out a favorite & drool a bit...drooling is a talent Old Men develop.
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2011, 02:33:01 PM »
Fantastic stuff.
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline B. Basiliscus

• Scientist
  • Bless us and splash us, my precious!
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2011, 02:39:41 PM »
I simply ADORE the Ethereal band's Nothics!
GORGEOUS eyes!
Splendid stuff!
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 02:42:22 PM by B. Basiliscus »

Offline fourcolorfigs

• Mastermind
    • http://www.four-colorstudios.com/
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2011, 04:04:38 PM »
Great work!  A brilliant re-purposing of those minis!
Scott P.
http://scott-pyle.tumblr.com/
http://www.four-colorstudios.com/

======
"The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places."

--Ernest Hemingway

Offline Funghy-Fipps

• Mad Scientist
    • Forgotten Dungeons
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2011, 09:01:29 PM »
 :o  Superbly realised 'bands: really vibrant and cohesive colour schemes.  I'd really like to see a battle report (with photos, of course!) between these two factions. 

Offline Andrew May

• Mastermind
    • Meridian Miniatures
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2011, 09:25:22 AM »
Who'd've thought that those prepaints would turn out so nice!

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2011, 09:59:24 AM »
Beautiful work :-*

Offline Onemanworkshop

• Assistant
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2011, 07:25:31 PM »
I really like the idea that a lot of miniature gamers dismiss the pre-painted bendy figures. This keeps them nice and cheap for those of us who realize it's not what the things are made of, but what can be done with them that really matters. But don't let me change your mind, those crappy bendy pre-paints are all crap, I would never buy them!  ;)

I have found that doing these little warbands of 10-20 figures is really fun. It forces me to get just the right figures for what I'm trying to do without going too much overboard. I'm off to start on the next warband, the Revenants, mostly armored undead with a wight leader...

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2011, 12:29:23 AM »
This is a brilliant thread, Onemanworkshop!  :o :-* :o

It is great to see each warband going through its transformation.
Ther are so many good things going on here.
 I didnt realise there were so many great D&D sculpts out there, for one. I will have to spend some time having a good look at them when I get the chance.
Your choice of colours is excellent. I tend to steer clear from too many really bright colours, there are exceptions of course, but your choice of colours for the Ethereal Nightmares is inspiring. I have a chaos band almost ready to be painted, and fancied a similar scheme, but was put off thinking that they would look garish. You have put paid to that idea!
I may be tempted to give it a go.
Your Zombie Horde looks fantastic too, and will be looking at this thread some more, avidly watching for your next band.
Stunning work, Sir!
Keep it up!

Offline Admiral Benbow

• The Queen's Own Gizmologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • "Creativity is a drug I cannot live without."
    • The Benbow Workshop
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2011, 08:00:54 PM »
Absolutely brilliant miniatures!
 :-* :o

Offline Onemanworkshop

• Assistant
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2011, 04:55:45 AM »
The REVENANTS

Finally a new warband in progress. I have been busy buying up new figures for several new warbands and have finally gotten back to getting them based and ready to paint. This next warband is all Wight Soldiers, Barrow Wights, Barrow Lord on foot and mounted and a Lich to command them about. The paint scheme for these will be dark steel armor with black and red livery and a white cross for the symbol. I'm going to make these a bit worn and rusty, with tattered equipment and clothing. A very subtle color scheme, but I want to keep these kind of dark and dingy.

More pics soon...
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 11:27:05 PM by Onemanworkshop »