Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 11:24:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: ECW scenery  (Read 8642 times)

Offline anevilgiraffe

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://anevilgiraffe.blogspot.com/
Re: ECW scenery
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2012, 12:31:57 PM »
heard from 4ground as I emailed the other day... interesting plans ahead

Yes I can say there will be a silhouette cut market hall hopefully within the next couple or three weeks.  Silhouette cut and pre-painted are actually quite different model kits to laser cut, the pre-painted models are two layers of 2mm (so the painting is inside and out on those parts that need painting - we leave wood as wood), the silhouette kits are usually one 3mm sheet as you know.  We have also been asked for silhouette cuts of the Rorke's Drift House and the Barn/Hospital, both can be made to look European or more American.

We are about to list the Rorke's Drift doors and the windows doors of the market hall kit in our building materials section for model makers to use in there scratch building projects.  We also hope to have a sprue with a good selection of wheels in there so wagon scratch builders can get hold of the wheels they want for a project.  In the next couple of weeks we will also have laser cut card for roofing projects.  Another modeling product we are very happy with is our own Base Render as this stuff has been blended for us so it works well with MDF and even many plastics.  It does not easily crack or chip with the usual game play mishaps - like drop the model off the table with your elbow.  Base Render will be an almost must to get a good finish on the North African/ Otterman building kits that we are bringing out as Silhouette kits about March/April time.

Other buildings in varius stages of pre-prooduction in this timber framed range will be coming out over the next couple of months; right now they are a Tudor period shop, Merchant's house, Tavern (town/highstreet-Pirates etc) and a Coaching Inn (country) with Barn and stabling - there will also be the a Church for this period in the next few months but this is meant to be stone not timber framed.  We also hope to have some more wagons and carts better suited to the period, including a coach ideal for any self respecting highwayman to hold up on a dark winters night, but next in the carts and wagons section will be a couple of Roman period vehicles.

rooftiles will be welcome... hate doing them...
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 05:23:00 PM by anevilgiraffe »

Offline anevilgiraffe

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2012, 05:34:45 PM »
anyone know of an online resource about Tudor/Stuart architecture... typical houses and so on...

done a bit of google and the whole chimney/hole in roof thing has intrigued me and wondering how that would have looked... also suspect a two storey building is going to be posh enough for a chimney, but some have external brick chimneys, some have the chimney slap bank in the middle of the house - and I guess there is the possiblity that external chimneys are later additions...

obviously taking this all far too seriously, but the info is giving me lots of avenues to think about for variety...

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2012, 05:53:50 PM »
Did some googling

http://www.britainexpress.com/architecture/tudor.htm

Chimneys and enclosed fireplaces became common for the first time. Indeed, the Tudor chimney is one of the most striking aspects of this period. One of the reasons for the increased use of chimneys was the widespread adoption of coal as fuel. Previously wood smoke was allowed to escape from the interior through a simple hole in the roof. Now, the increased smoke from coal made necessary evolved forms of fireplaces, flues, and chimneys to get the smoke away from the living space. Chimney stacks were often clustered in groups, and the individual chimney columns were curved, twisted, and decorated with chequerboard patterns of different-coloured bricks.

Typical half-timbered Tudor house:

also here:

http://www.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk/Homework/houses/tudor.htm

Offline Steve F

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Pedantic bugger, apparently.
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2012, 06:00:39 PM »
I was under the impression that the hole-in-the-roof was a myth: with a thatched roof, the smoke filters out through the thatch.  With tiles or shingles, you need a chimney.
Back from the dead, almost.

Offline Mitch K

• Mastermind
  • The Horror! The Horror!
    • Mitch's Wargaming and Modelmaking
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2012, 07:25:01 PM »
I was under the impression that the hole-in-the-roof was a myth: with a thatched roof, the smoke filters out through the thatch.  With tiles or shingles, you need a chimney.

Certainly there's some evidence that without a true flue and chimney the last thing you want is a hole in the ceiling - it draws the sparks and gledes up into the roof with breathtaking but disasterous results. Apparently some people did a lovely Iron Age (IIRC) reconstruction is Scotland with a smoke hole and found this out the hard way :(

I think the spectacular Regia Anglorum great hall at Wychurst is shingled and has no chimney - the gaps between the shingles allow smoke to percolate away (eventually).
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe, hammer to fit, paint to match!

Offline anevilgiraffe

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2012, 04:44:51 PM »
some new medieval buildings from 4ground at Salute yesterday... one or two would not be pushing the envelope too much during the 17th C from what I've read - especially if a very small handful still exist today...

posted about them proper in the medieval forum though
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=40890.0