Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:28:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686661
  • Total Topics: 118119
  • Online Today: 815
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Silent Invader's Alien Game at BLAM 2011 - lotsa pics  (Read 16183 times)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Silent Invader's Alien Game at BLAM 2011 - lotsa pics
« on: November 06, 2011, 10:00:03 PM »
So on the final day of today’s British Lead Aventure Meeting, I had the privilege of playing in the inaugural game of Silent Invader’s superb Aliens presentation.

You can see his build thread here http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=25459.0, but suffice to say, he converted and painted all the figures, designed and built the terrain and buildings, complete with fabulous lighting effects, sliding doors, a working power plant, and much else besides. He also created his own extremely nifty rules, wrote the scenario, and of course, ran the game.

All I did was play, and take a few pix. So this is all SI’s work – not mine! If I say the man’s a genius, it may be an understatement!  ;)

Grimm played the rebels, Damas played the Aliens, Green Knight played the first marine squad, I played the second marine squad, another Richard (who’s forum name escapes me) played the security police, and Silent invader controlled the civilians as well as the game.

Here goes…

A scientific facility on an offworld colony… A team of highly skilled technicians are trapped, along with their police minders, caught between rebel workers and an unidentified alien menace. Coming to evacuate the high value technicians and neautralise any threat, two squads of elite marines delivered by dropship…

The first squad of marines are dropped onto the landing pad…

Happily, the aliens and rebels are busy fighting each other…

The surviving rebels see off the aliens – the luminous pools of impassable acid mark where aliens have been killed…

As the first marine squad make their way to the front doors of the facility, the second squad have also been dropped and follow up behind providing fire support…

The main doors are opened and secured, the police emerging from inside to greet the relief force…

But the second marine squad are taking no chances…

The all-important technicians are led out blinking into the daylight… Or what passes for daylight on this planet…

Heck, it’s only a short walk to the landing pad… What could possibly go wrong? They’re home and dry, surely. This is all too easy…

Meanwhile one of the surviving rebels enters via the side doors, and wait… what’s that scaly, shiny thing lashing in the darkness of the interior?

Suddenly a swarm of aliens erupt through the interior bulkhead doors…

…as the technicians are hurried to safety, through the perimiter cordon formed by the watchful marines…

All hell breaks loose around the entrance, as the marines of the first squad and the police are overrun by thrashing, slavering aliens…

Assaulted from inside and out, the security forces are swiftly overwhelmed…

As the aliens break out, the marines urge the technicians to run for the landing pad…

Gradually the aliens are overwhelming the marines… The second squad form up to pour a withering hail of fire into the leading aliens…

…and inadvertantly kill two of the hapless technicians, slathered in alien acid spatter as the aliens are shot to pieces! DOH! I forgot about the spatter… They were too close!

Only the female technican survives…

As the marines hurry her to the landing pad, and the roar of the approaching dropship is heard overhead, the rebels regroup for one last assault against the marines…

But the marines deal swiftly and efficiently with the revolutionaries, and also pick off the last of the aliens…

The surviving technican is at the landing pad, the last rebel is about to be consigned to oblivion, and the dropship is overhead…

With the landing zone fully secure, the survivors take up their positions on the pad and prepare for evacuation…

In short, a brilliant game, which I nearly ruined through carelessly letting two of the evacuees get liquidised by flying alien acid. But I think we got away with it

Another game was played after this, with Matakishi, Revford and Overlord, as well as Grimm, Green Knight and Damas in different roles. I think it went rather differently, but was still much enjoyed as far as I could see.

Offline YIU

• Mad Scientist
Re: Silent Invader's Alien Game at BLAM 2011 - lotsa pics
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 10:03:46 PM »
Excellent. I enjoyed your WIP and the game is fantastic.
I wish I were an octopus to paint more miniatures...Cthulhu must be a great painter

Offline Haarken

• Librarian
    • Forgotten Futures
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 10:27:42 PM »
Fantastic looking miniatures and scenery, the pictures really are a testament to all of SI's hard work.
Forgotten Futures: Pulp, Dieselpunk & Weird War Gallery.

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 10:39:16 PM »
Great staging, great scenery and great minis painting... The result is really inspiring  :o

Offline Tom Reed

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011, 11:25:22 PM »
The minis are especially awesome! Who makes them?
Jane! Stop this crazy thing!

Offline uti long smile

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2011, 11:41:24 PM »
Damn I wished I'd stayed for a game :(

Top photography on some beautiful paint jobs.
Something Crooked this way comes...
http://www.crooked-dice.co.uk/
Wargaming in the world of Cult TV

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2011, 11:52:23 PM »
Yes it was a good game :)

All my technicians were safely extracted off planet and the rebels and aliens dealt with. Company property with a substantial dollar value was recovered and only a few (and I know you'll excuse me for being blunt here) 'grunts' accepted early retirement at the hands of the enemy.
I will of course be sending a memo explaining their deaths to the families which will detail exactly why they forfeited their Company pension rights during the operation. Must remember to CC HR so they can bring some replacements online.

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2011, 12:38:03 AM »
Thanks very much for the comments and feedback - with special thanks to Captain Blood for his great photography and write-up.  :D

The minis are especially awesome! Who makes them?

Thanks. 

The Aliens are a mix of GW Tyranids and Hormagaunts plus some feet/hands I cast up.

The humans are mostly Hasslefree but virtually all converted (many considerably), plus a converted Infinity plus a few by me using HF faces and pulse rifles.

:)
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 0
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline Kestrel

• Librarian
    • CameraDave.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2011, 01:02:35 AM »
Thanks for the battle report Capt Blood, now I know what I was missing and you can add another one to the list of people who wish they'd stayed longer so they could of played this wonderful looking game - I think next year I won't tell my friends in London that I am up for the weekend. lol

Mind you that's always the problem with Blam, so many games and so little time.
Mein Doodlesack ist mangelhaft

Offline Faust23

• Mastermind
  • Father of Sorrows
    • Strategic Elite: Skirmish Wargames for the Discerning Strategist
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2011, 01:21:55 AM »
That's one of the coolest games I've seen in a lonnnng time.  Great work SI!  Captain Blood, those are sweet photos!

Highly inspiring!   :-* :-* :-*
Author of the Origins Award 2013 Nominated Brink of Battle: Skirmish Gaming through the Ages; Epic Heroes: Skirmish Gaming in the Realms of Fantasy; and Scrappers: Post-Apocalyptic Skirmish Wargames published by Osprey Games

Offline inkwell

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2011, 02:28:17 AM »
OhLa La :-* :-* :-*Far out!

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2011, 02:45:09 AM »
Wow, WOw, WOW.
Have followed this project on the other thread.
Seeing it come together is a treat.
Lucky players who got to play. :-* :-*
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2011, 04:50:44 AM »
Great report Capt.,and those minis SI,outstanding! :-* :-* :-*
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline zizi666

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Photobucket page
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2011, 06:17:12 AM »
Yes it was a good game :)

All my technicians were safely extracted off planet and the rebels and aliens dealt with. Company property with a substantial dollar value was recovered and only a few (and I know you'll excuse me for being blunt here) 'grunts' accepted early retirement at the hands of the enemy.
I will of course be sending a memo explaining their deaths to the families which will detail exactly why they forfeited their Company pension rights during the operation. Must remember to CC HR so they can bring some replacements online.

More importantly : did you manage to procure a Xenomorph for further study and/or dissection ?  >:D
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,
for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Photobucket: http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd388/zizi666/
BGG: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/zizi666

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2011, 07:32:47 AM »
We left a female rebel out on the planet surface. A team will be dispatched in a day or two to see if she has become eligible for retrieval.