Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 08:58:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690842
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Studio Miniatures New Colonial Range  (Read 9206 times)

Offline NurgleHH

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spacelord
    • Victory Decision Vietnam
Re: Studio Miniatures New Colonial Range
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2011, 08:50:02 AM »
I'm not sure about these.  They're kinda nice but gawking looking at the same time, some of the hands look big and the necks too long.
same for me. Even if there is not enough stuff for this period, this stuff isn't worth thinking about it. There is a lot of good stuff, so why spend money for poor stuff???
Victory Decision Vietnam here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=43264.0

Victory Decision Spacelords here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=68939.0

My pictures: http://pictures.dirknet.de/

Offline Hobbit

• Scientist
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2011, 03:05:11 PM »
I have to say that I think you're being a bit harsh NurgleHH . Each to his/her own, let the customer decide if they want to part with their money. There are an awful lot of figures out there that regularly get recommended that I personally think are awful and wouldn't buy - but I wouldn't try to influence others by publicly stating so.

Let's try to be supportive of people trying to make it in this industry.

But if you think you can do better please do so.

Offline NurgleHH

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spacelord
    • Victory Decision Vietnam
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2011, 03:19:58 PM »
@hobbit: Same rigts for all. A lot of guys write their positive opinion, so my right to write my negative opion about this stuff.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 03:22:23 PM by NurgleHH »

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2011, 03:35:25 PM »
@hobbit: Same rigts for all. A lot of guys write their positive opinion, so my right to write my negative opion about this stuff.

yes, but sometimes it's not necessary to repeat negative words over and over again.

Offline Hobbit

• Scientist
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2011, 04:58:55 PM »
So NurgleHH, do we get to see your sculpting?

Offline Sir Dryden

• The Michael Bolton Guy
  • Scientist
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2011, 05:01:38 PM »
 BOOM!

Offline Remington

• Mastermind
  • Who? Where? Say what now?
    • The Doc's Diary
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2011, 05:02:52 PM »
So NurgleHH, do we get to see your sculpting?

Now, that's a dead end statement! But let's not distract from the product presented here with little verbal head-butts.

I will need to see them in the "flesh" but I salute the fact that this subject is being worked on. Looking forward to more.

Offline Hobbit

• Scientist
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2011, 05:44:02 PM »
Indeed, the Boxer Rebellion is a period that I find very interesting and I'd rather spend my time discussing playing the game and encouraging people to produce fine miniatures.

What I would be interested to know is if the range is based on original research or if it is ging to reproduce the somewhat aged Osprey plates in miniature? For example, I believe that the RMLI actually wore fairly standard army issue khaki most of the time rather than the blue & whites shown (stuck my neck out and now can't remember my source on that).

What I'd like to see is lots of naval landing parties for Seymore's expedition. As has been discussed elsewhere on the forum recently you can never have too many sailors for the Victorian period.

Re the comment earlier about New South Wales sailors, did they have a distinctive uniform or standard RN kit?

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2011, 06:49:19 PM »
But let's not distract from the product presented here with little verbal head-butts.

yes, exactly, please stay at topic, enough said.

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2011, 08:43:23 PM »
For example, I believe that the RMLI actually wore fairly standard army issue khaki most of the time rather than the blue & whites shown (stuck my neck out and now can't remember my source on that).

The photo's I've seen (and remember) show them in blue and white, or in all white (without jacket essentially, I expect). I prefer my figures in blue and white but I have to say that the majority I've seen in the photo's were in white only.
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline Hobbit

• Scientist
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2011, 09:25:53 AM »
Most of the photos that get published show the legation guard,

Quote from "Uniforms of the Royal Marines" by Stadden & Newark (which is endorsed by the Royal Marines Museum):

[after describing the blue & white onboard working dress often shown] "other photographs exist showing Royal Marines in the relieving column wearing tropical khaki drill uniforms complete with foreign service helmet and in Peking, after the siege, wearing all white tropical uniform".

My main point was that several of the plates in the Osprey show uniforms of units that were little engaged in combat and ignore some that were. All of the Boxer ranges that I've seen over the years just seem to try to blindly reproduce the Osprey plates.

There is an excellent account of the Seymore Expedition by Paul Schlieper of the German Imperial Navy, for example, in which he describes the German sailors as wearing their naval rig but with sun helmets. He goes on to point out that there weren't any marines in the German contingent. Now virtually all of the ranges reproduce the German Seebattalion, and even the East Asia Brigade (which didn't arrive until after the majority of the fighting was over), but not german sailors.

The allied involvement can be broken down into the Legation Siege (probably the least gamable part), Seymore's Relief Column (probably the most balanced and gamable bit), the Siege of Tientsin (mostly Russians) and the main relief column (lots of Allied troops and fairly one sided battles). But most of the attention gets focussed on the legations.

So, if Studio Minatures are reading: can we have a good mix of figures from the units that were actually engaged please? I'm sure there would be a market for lots of armed Victorian sailors of all nations.

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2011, 06:04:58 PM »
Fair enough, lets be honest, combat photography didn't really exist at the time  ;)

Khaki uniforms and sun helmet already exist on quite a few figs though. Unless the marines had a slightly different version?

Offline Hobbit

• Scientist
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2011, 06:54:19 PM »
No, I'm sure it was fairly standard, but there aren't really any good British figures armed with Lee-Metfords/Enfields out there at the moment - Foundry appear to have discontinued their old Boer War range.

I was kind of highlighting that people only tend to look at the Osprey book and asking for some proper research. It is of course perfectly possible that this research is happening/has happened and will be used for this range.

Offline Xmoker

• Schoolboy
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2011, 09:17:11 PM »
Not too excited about them, sorry to say. I like the period, but the poses look... well... odd. I think I will wait until I see other figures from this range. I would be particularly interested in the Japanese and the US troops, and in the Chinese of course!