Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 03:45:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691079
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Rules for French and Indian Wars?  (Read 52636 times)

Offline GordonKhartoum

• Bookworm
Re: Rules for French and Indian Wars?
« Reply #180 on: January 12, 2012, 08:04:55 AM »
Thanks old boy - strips of polystyrene? Would that work for the freestanding walls or do you think it wont be stable enough?

Polystyrene can be remarkably tough when coated with lashings of PVA but balsa wood, plasticard or foam board might be a better option. You can approximate a dry-stone wall using Cat litter. Use plasticard mounted on a base as a former and glue the cat litter to the former. Start at the base and work your way up both sides.You could probably get away with using a layer of tiling grout or hard-as-nails smeared along both sides and do it all in one go.

Offline Barry S

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
    • http://s92.photobucket.com/albums/l12/LeadBear/
« Reply #181 on: January 12, 2012, 08:08:13 AM »
Silent Invaders Blog is a good place for some French and Indian War inspiration.
http://silent-invasion.blogspot.com/2009/07/woodlander-pages.html

Cheers,

Barry
Barry

http://s92.photobucket.com/albums/l12/LeadBear/

Offline raminad

• Assistant
« Reply #182 on: January 15, 2012, 04:25:01 PM »
I just glanced at the write-ups on the THW website. Both Long Rifle and Muskets and Mohawks seem to have a role playing element to them that involves a progressive campaign and pre assigned roles. Can anyone comment?

Yes as one of the authors I can indeed comment.

As with all THW games the campaign rules are there to generate scenarios. If you know what you want to do with the game, they work like any other set of rules. Place your forces on the table and have at it : )

Bob

Offline abu iskander

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #183 on: January 15, 2012, 05:26:56 PM »
Being impatient, I've started unofficially translating my copy of Mousquets & Tomahawks into English for my own personal use. So far I like what I see.

Offline axabrax

• Mastermind
« Reply #184 on: January 15, 2012, 05:49:09 PM »
Being impatient, I've started unofficially translating my copy of Mousquets & Tomahawks into English for my own personal use. So far I like what I see.

LOL! That's funny as I've been considering buying the French version and doing the same. If nothing else it would be a good way to dust off my French translation skills. The biggest drawback would be that the cards (it does use cards, right?) would all be in French too.

I am really happy for the success of Saga but very disappointed that it  seems to have been pushed off Mousqeuts indefinitely as a result.

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #185 on: January 16, 2012, 01:19:15 PM »
I pre-ordered the Settlers from Galloping Major and they arrived Saturday morning. I have splashed some paint on them over the wkd; pictures to follow later
"Ho, ho, ho! Well, if it isn't fat stinking billy goat Billy Boy in poison! How art thou, thou globby bottle of cheap, stinking chip oil? Come and get one in the yarbles, if ya have any yarbles, you eunuch jelly thou!"

Offline Langlade

• Student
« Reply #186 on: January 16, 2012, 05:24:14 PM »
. The biggest drawback would be that the cards (it does use cards, right?) would all be in French too.

Don't worry: the cards have very few text (like "Civilians") and there is already the translation in the language of Shakespeare ... Fenimore Cooper.

;)

Offline Galloping Major

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • www.gallopingmajorwargames.com
« Reply #187 on: January 16, 2012, 05:25:26 PM »
I pre-ordered the Settlers from Galloping Major and they arrived Saturday morning. I have splashed some paint on them over the wkd; pictures to follow later

Wow, really looking forward to seeing them  :D

www.gallopingmajorwargames.com

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #188 on: January 16, 2012, 05:27:05 PM »
Don't worry: the cards have very few text (like "Civilians") and there is already the translation in the language of Shakespeare ... Fenimore Cooper.

;)

Now that is good news. A [3rd set - for me] of rules that i could be interested in for this period  :)

Offline abu iskander

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #189 on: January 16, 2012, 05:28:34 PM »
LOL! That's funny as I've been considering buying the French version and doing the same. If nothing else it would be a good way to dust off my French translation skills. The biggest drawback would be that the cards (it does use cards, right?) would all be in French too.

I am really happy for the success of Saga but very disappointed that it  seems to have been pushed off Mousqeuts indefinitely as a result.

Actually the cards are already bilingual.  I doing it as much to work on my French skill as anything else. It's also inspired me to finish off a few more FIW figures from Conquest and GM.  Working up a new unit of Milice right now.

Offline axabrax

• Mastermind
« Reply #190 on: January 16, 2012, 05:48:53 PM »
Actually the cards are already bilingual.  I doing it as much to work on my French skill as anything else. It's also inspired me to finish off a few more FIW figures from Conquest and GM.  Working up a new unit of Milice right now.

Thanks for the info. I'm going to go ahead and order it from Comitatus Figurines if they are willing to ship to the USA. If I have any trouble with the trans I'll send you a PM!  ;)  (Although I translated a Baudelaire essay from French into English for my Masters, so it can't be too difficult!)  Now where's my French/English dictionary?

Offline abu iskander

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #191 on: January 16, 2012, 07:21:44 PM »
Let me know if you have any questions, though I'm by no means an expert.  But, I doubt you'll have any problems with the French; the language is pretty accessible and most of the colloquialisms are easy to work out. If not, there's always Word Reference for stuff that literally translates into terms like "ass of bowl" (cul-de-jatte).  Apparently, it should be rendered as "legless cripple."

Anyway, I got them sent to the US by Comitatus just before Christmas and the turn around time was unexpectedly fast.

Offline GordonKhartoum

• Bookworm
« Reply #192 on: January 16, 2012, 07:46:11 PM »
With the arrival of the new Galloping Major Settlers we just had to get them into action. !0 settlers with the Lawyer special figure as the commander defending a Blockhouse and cabin on top of a hill. the terrain was considered to be light wood apart from the top contour that was clear and any additional clumps of trees that were designated as heavy. A small band of wandering Rangers could randomly appear.

The assault comprised of a unit of 10 Canadian Militia and two 10 man Huron warbands.

All figures by Galloping Major. Rules This Very Ground.  

At this stage of the game the Hurons are leading the assault on the Miltia's left flank, taking heavy casualties. They were repulsed but not broken.

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #193 on: January 16, 2012, 09:01:40 PM »
Ha ha - hoisted by my own petard! Well done on getting those Settlers painted up do quickly. At least i know where my painting fairies got to.

Here are my GM Settlers with Warbase, erm, bases ...

« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 09:12:04 PM by H.M.Stanley »

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #194 on: January 16, 2012, 09:15:37 PM »

Sir William Johnson perhaps? Soldiers Free figure by Galloping Major

« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 09:21:56 PM by H.M.Stanley »