Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 10:31:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690905
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 907
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Mud & Blood, Reds & Whites, the latest round  (Read 2766 times)

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
Mud & Blood, Reds & Whites, the latest round
« on: December 12, 2011, 02:47:59 AM »
We had another good game of Mud & Blood-powered Russian Civil War skirmish gaming this afternoon, with a White composite platoon destroying a Red Guard platoon that was resting on the outskirts of a village somewhere in south Russia.

I'd finally printed a full set of my cards & Blinds, so it was good to get them into action, as well as using a batch of the M&B rules we hadn't encountered before, use of Blinds among them.

Corey took some photos which he'll probably be along shortly to add, but I did get one decent one early in the game, with the Red forces still mostly on Blinds around the edge of the village (foreground) and the Whites advancing on Blinds at the top corner of the table.

An RCW Encounter by WireLizard, on Flickr

The Whites had a highly energetic Captain running their composite unit, and while they had some initial problems getting going, they had no issues keeping the momentum up once they had it and rolled right over my enthusiastic but badly lead Reds. I also launched an unnecessary close assault just to see how those ran in M&B (messily and decisively!), and by the end of the game my Red reinforcements STILL hadn't shown up and my on-table forces were entirely shattered and fleeing.

It was a good game, slightly bigger and more satisfying than our machinegun-dominated games of last weekend. Lots of tense moments, and several times when it came down to who got the next card up in the deck to see how the game was going to turn!

Offline Burgundavia

• Mad Scientist
    • Coreyburger.ca
Re: Mud & Blood, Reds & Whites, the latest round
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 03:32:17 AM »
The whole game went very well from my White Russians. I was drowning in command initiative, so I barely needed to exercise my Level IV leader at all. He did get to use his heroic charge action to get everybody moving about midpoint in the game, where I asked for two dice of movement after the two fleeing Russian squads. Got both squads moving and that basically sealed the game.

Here are some more images from the game:

Reds scout down the road by burgundavia, on Flickr

Reds attempt to capture White officer by burgundavia, on Flickr

Whites hurry to the wall by burgundavia, on Flickr

White chase Reds down the road by burgundavia, on Flickr

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 03:11:44 AM »
Like your table.
Troops look very nice.
How many units aside?
Is the game based on squads?
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline Burgundavia

• Mad Scientist
    • Coreyburger.ca
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 05:43:43 AM »
Like your table.
Troops look very nice.
How many units aside?
Is the game based on squads?

The game is based on squads. We were running basically a platoon apiece. I (with the Whites) had three squads of eight men including a corporal plus a colour sergeant and a level IV lieutenant with two runners. Wirelizard (with the Reds) has three units of 9 including a corporal and one sergeant. By the rule system, this was a very small game. It is designed for easily twice the troops. However, we are usually pulp players where a dozen in total is a huge number, so it is a bit of a shift.

Edit: Through the Mud and the Blood from Too Fat Lardies
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 05:46:19 AM by Burgundavia »

Offline Ataman

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 03:51:58 AM »
Apologies for reviving this thread, but I'd love to know where you got those bases. I'm getting the Brigade Russian bulk pack, and I need to find an affordable supplier of bases for my soon-to-be Whites.

Great looking board and miniatures by the way. This battle report was the thing that finally convinced me to shell out the money for Mud & Blood and a White Russian force.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 03:53:29 AM by Ataman »

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 08:04:02 AM »
Apologies for reviving this thread, but I'd love to know where you got those bases. I'm getting the Brigade Russian bulk pack, and I need to find an affordable supplier of bases for my soon-to-be Whites.

The octagonal clear acrylic bases I use to mark Big Men for M&B games are from Litko, they're 1" (25mm) and tack on with a bit of blue-tack. They were orginally bought for a fleet of spaceships, so they were handy when I was looking for some way to mark the Big Men out. I think 50 of them set me back $12.99 USD.

All of these figures (almost all of my 28mm, actually) use Canadian or American pennies for regular bases. They're 19mm or so in diameter, they cost one cent, and their only failing is that they aren't magnetic. I'm a strong believer in minimal bases, 25mm is Too Damn Big for a regular human figure and anything bigger than that is just goofy. Small bases are easier to fit into terrain, too, especially buildings, trenches and such.

Great looking board and miniatures by the way. This battle report was the thing that finally convinced me to shell out the money for Mud & Blood and a White Russian force.

The Russian Bulk Pack from Brigade is the core of my White force too, actually. It's a great value, and it's odd that the Brigade RCW/BoB stuff doesn't get half the attention Copplestone stuff gets. Rank-and-file Copplestone have a bit more personality than the Brigade riflemen, maybe, but when it comes to officers and characters it's a dead heat. The two ranges size up perfectly next to each other, too.