Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 08:03:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Magnetic paint question  (Read 1616 times)

Offline Hairy Haggis

• Schoolboy
Magnetic paint question
« on: December 14, 2011, 06:39:01 PM »
Hey Guys,

I heard something on a home improvement show about MAGNETIC PAINT. I was wondering if anyone here has used such a thing?
I ask because I want to buy a resin model of the 20,000 leagues Nautilus but with all the curved surfaces no miniature could stand up without falling over. If magnetic paint works I can mount my mini's on some rare earth magnets and have them stand on the decks of the Nautilus. Anybody here use this paint yet?

As always at your service,

Colonel Hairy Haggis

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
  • Balding bloke with a 'V'
    • Svenns Little Men
Re: Magnetic paint question
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 07:22:35 PM »
Never heard of it and very dubious of its existance/capabilities but I definately want it to work as you have already painted great images in my head
"A jewelled sceptre plucked by order to serve their cause"

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 07:42:49 PM »
Someone here has already done that (or something very similar). I think it was for a rather large asteroid and VSF, a search should prove useful.

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Overlord

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Top Geezer
    • The Sweeney
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 08:06:43 PM »
It was one of our local club members:  http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=17882.0
2024 Lead Tally: Acq: 013 Ptd: 055  Total: +042
2023 Lead Tally: Acq: 560 Ptd: 056  Total: -504
2009-22 Tally:  Acq: 3293 Ptd: 905  Total: -2388

Offline Captain Nemo

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2011, 12:06:30 AM »
If magnetic paint works I can mount my mini's on some rare earth magnets and have them stand on the decks of the Nautilus. Anybody here use this paint yet?

I mount all my Minis on rare earth magnets for the express purpose of being able to change the bases they are standing on. For example if one of my canal martians takes an Aether ride to the planet Venus he would just look silly standing in the swamplands on a Mars red base. (But then I am a bit OCD) o_o

I have used Magnetic spray paint in the past, which was fine for my bases with little detail. However you must use A LOT of this paint to get it to work! I ended up trashing a beautiful martian flyer because by the time I had enough paint on the deck, it had lost all its detail. So this may not work very well on the Nautilus you mentioned. One solution I have come to is mixing iron powder into my resin, but any thing you buy will have to be painted.
And any fine details will be lost.  :-[
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 01:42:31 AM by Captain Nemo »
\"The natives over there are cannibals. They eat liars with the same enthusiasm as they eat honest men.\"

Offline Alfrik

• Mastermind
  • Focus of Mission plus Logistics will carry the day
    • Armored Ink
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2011, 02:55:56 AM »
Having done construction painting of metal hand rails and pipe works, there is an Iron base paint that can be used with some electrical leads attached to opposite ends of the metal work. Then when the Iron based paint is sprayed at low pressure, it "wraps" around the pipe without hitting the wall. Tricky to use though, and very expensive. Just thought to throw this in :)
http://armoredink.blogspot.com/

Painting Pledge for 2014 Cthulhu Wars and all expansions figures to paint! Arrrgh!

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2011, 12:10:44 PM »
Having done construction painting of metal hand rails and pipe works, there is an Iron base paint that can be used with some electrical leads attached to opposite ends of the metal work. Then when the Iron based paint is sprayed at low pressure, it "wraps" around the pipe without hitting the wall. Tricky to use though, and very expensive. Just thought to throw this in :)

Dude, that is an experience crying out for visual recording!  Awesome sounding, probably mundane after a while...

Gracias,

Glenn

2016 and retirement to New Mxico on the horizon!
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!