Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 06:27:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690678
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Corrugated metal  (Read 2261 times)

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
Corrugated metal
« on: December 16, 2011, 06:03:28 PM »
I have looked for a way to do corrugated metal for years and now I have it. 

It is using a Fiscars paper crimper and metal ducting tape.
More info on my blog.   
A bottle of scotch and two aspirin a day will greatly reduce your awareness of heart disease.
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"... Mark Twain
http://snitchythedog.blogspot.com

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
Re: Corrugated metal
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 07:52:07 PM »
Or you could just buy the premade aluminium stuff that railway modellers use. Personally I use paper or sometimes resin sheets  for large areas and bits that don't need to be two sided and the aluminium shheting for two sided items like fences etc.

Nice work though.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Modhail

• Mastermind
    • http://modhails-meanderings.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2011, 04:49:35 PM »
Nice!
I've achieved similar results with a paper crimper and metal from mayo tubes (The mayo tubes we use at home are thicker than normal, making them nice and sturdy). Cheaper than buying premade...

I'm still looking for a way to get the angular corrugations they use for things like shipping containers, though.

Offline Scout_II

• Bookworm
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2011, 06:09:04 PM »
I'm still looking for a way to get the angular corrugations they use for things like shipping containers, though.

Are you fairly handy?

I had made my own crimping tool for those a few years ago.

I purchases a pair of somewhat sturdy brass plates (think they are 1/8" thick).  I then purchased a selection of small brass strips that match the corrugations that I was after (actually several of them for different scales).  The strips were cut to the width of the plate - bunches of them since the plate is about 12" long.

Once I had those all cut to size, I went ahead and washed them all well with a degreaser and gave them a light sanding.  Give the plate a light coat of flux and then layout the strips at the spacing you need (be sure to leave room for the metal/foil that you intend to crimp...I left about 0.5 mm wiggle room on each side).  Clamp them to keep them from shifting if you bump anything - I used a combination of bent paper clips and alligator clips, what ever you choose...it needs to be able to withstand a bit of heat.

Now the fun part, strike up a torch.  Propane will work after a bit, MAPP is better, Oxy will let you get it done nice and fast (and let you use a stronger solder).  Heat up both the plate and the strips and touch solder to the joints between the two.  Repeat as often as you need to in order to get all the strips soldered in place.  Let it cool off and give it a good washing to remove the excess flux.

Repeat again for the second jaw.

Now you can lay a bit of metal between the two jaws and use them to crimp it.  Depending on the shape of the metal strips, the spacing and how far you crimp you can go through and make a variety of different crimped designs.  As long as you stick to softer metals (aluminum, copper and brass) in thin sheets - the solder joints hold up fine.

You can also make the crimper as big as you think you can handle.  You can also do plastic with it.  Use a heat gun to heat up the jaws and then set your plastic on the bottom jaw.  Set the top jaw in place and push it down.  The hot jaws will stretch and bend the plastic.  Wear heat resistant gloves.

I would recommend that you install a pair of alignment pins on the bottom jaw and corresponding holes in the top jaw.  It makes it a lot easier to make a bunch of stuff fast.

While I haven't tried it yet - you might be able to get a strong enough hold using a good epoxy.  Most the force is in compression, so it should hold up well enough.

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2011, 02:02:32 AM »
Nice idea. Thanks for sharing.
Also enjoyed looking over you blog.
Lots of things to try and make.
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline Modhail

• Mastermind
    • http://modhails-meanderings.blogspot.com/
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 08:36:42 AM »
Scout_II, that sounds very useful!
I'm just wondering how feasible that would be for a fairly handy, but utter novice to metalworking/soldering. (Especially without burning myself or the house to a crisp...)
I may have to try that come summer, seeing how the back yard is less flammable than the garage...  ;)

Offline Mindenbrush

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2011, 05:13:39 PM »
Nice one Snicythedog, Amazon have them for $20 and it will come in very handy when I start my Post-Apoc buildings.  :)
Wargamers do it on a table.
YNWA - It is not a badge, it is a family crest
Montreal Historical Wargaming Club