Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 12:27:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690822
  • Total Topics: 118354
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: New GW Vampire counts models  (Read 9454 times)

Offline Viper

• Mad Scientist
  • Sunny Scotland
Re: New GW Vampire counts models
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2011, 09:59:27 PM »
I can't wait till the perry's release their historical mounted mercenaries.

GW will have told them how to make those undead knights look, and as such they look pretty rediculous, though not as bad for me as the manbats and pile of ghosts.

The Krell model would be nice if the axe didn't look so comical.
Nemo me impune lacessit
Wha daur meddle wi' me?

Offline Timbor

• Mastermind
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2011, 02:06:40 AM »
Im not a big fan of the vargheists, they look kinda silly to me, and the big throne is as others have put it - 'busy'

I like the knights, and I like the wight.  Luckily for me I don't collect VC  lol

I am sure I am not the only one, but I find it humourous that these new 'undead' models contain less skullz than your average empire state trooper  ::)
Paint log - leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=36840.0

Blog - My life in Millimetres

Offline Johnno

• Mastermind
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2011, 02:52:51 AM »
I am sure I am not the only one, but I find it humourous that these new 'undead' models contain less skullz than your average empire state trooper  ::)
lol lol

I can't wait for my WD to arrive in the mail!
The wight king looks ACE!
I don't really like the dual kits GW is producing but from a production purpose I guess I understand...
Yearly painting challenges only show me how useless I am at painting...

Offline Alxbates

• Mad Scientist
    • Forge of Ice on Faceboook!
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2011, 07:36:31 AM »
I like those Vargheists... one or two of them could be suitable opponents for Conan!

Offline Andrew May

• Mastermind
    • Meridian Miniatures
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2011, 09:26:08 AM »
The best of the bunch, in my opinion, is the Vargheist kit. I can see a lot of people finding a use for that.
With a little conversion work that Vargheist kit would be perfect for my Mordheim Vampire!
Now to getting my hands on just one of them.....

You could try this guy from Troll Forged?

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2011, 10:33:43 AM »
You could try this guy from Troll Forged?

:o

That is a very nice model, Andrew, and I can see why you are suggesting it.
The reason I was consideringthe Vargheist kit is because it is plastic and easy to convert.
The Troll Forged chap has almost exactly the same look that I am after, but I need to give the Vamp weapons.
It is just easier to do in plastic.

I may take the Troll Forged option for Strange Aeons, though!
He is rather nice....

Offline Faber

• Mastermind
  • onnivorous painter
    • Faber Ambitious Mordheim Project
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2011, 01:12:11 PM »
I'm in the "too much filigree" camp here.  Also, with each iteration, GW's models become more specific to the Warhammer World, and of less use to people like me who want something more generic.

ditto!
the new gw plastic kit are super detailed (and that's ok if you want to follow the warhammer background) but, in plastic it's not so hard to remove unwanted symbols or whatever. I think gw is going in the right way with plastic stuff. I'm buying them without being interested in warhammer's world! :)

Shame about Isabella, though.  Looks like a nice sculpt, and if it had been in metal or produced by someone competent at resin casting, I'd have been interested.

and ditto again Steve. ;)
For Christmas I received a finecast mini (empire captain with hammer and pistol, very nice model recently turned in resin  :-X)
It was a s**t. Pratically he had no more face, resin miscasts here and there, a little shield broken, a skull hanging on the belt melted with the trousers...a s**t that costed 12,5 euro! FINEcast!
Fortunately the story has its happy ending. I went to the GW shop and I said something like "Good morning, this model you sold is a piece of s**t, not a model. Better cast, metal cast or cash back please. :)" The lobotomized gw zealot slowly recognized the miscast and gave me a better copy...but not before of telling me AGAIN the incredible quality that finecast is while still holding in his hand the miscast  lol
GW has no shame with finecast  ::)

Offline Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2011, 01:25:26 PM »
Whenever news about upcoming GW releases are announced I always feel incredibly happy I stopped playing/collecting those games. Aesthetically I have not really liked any of their more recent plastic releases - they just look off and less defined to me than they ever had.

I remember whilst still playing WHFB, GW released black knights or whatever their name is for the VC and 5 cavalry miniatures cost something like 400SEK !! (roughly £40). At the same time you were required to field armies that increased in size to the point of where a full army would cost you the same amount of cash that a good gaming computer would. Someone ought to tell GW they are not alone in making gaming toys anymore  lol

And I won't even bother with the "Finecast" stuff as it would be digging up the carcass of the dead horse beaten to death already  lol

Offline thenamelessdead

• Scientist
  • I've made a huge mistake...
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2011, 07:19:57 PM »
As a VC collector during the 6th Ed era I was intrigued as to what they'd do with the army this time around.  It was due (and pretty much certain to get) a fairly radical overhaul and some of those new models could certainly be described as 'radical'.  Although I'm not a fan of a lot of their newer stuff I think some of the new models look good.  The Black Knights are finally models that people will want to buy, rather than convert.  The new Krell looks really good imo, quite menacing, and the Wight King looks interesting.  Unfortunately the throne thing looks a bit ridiculous and is another model that is only going to look remotely good with a top drawer paint job.  Considering how much GW go after kids I'm amazed how many models they are making now that will look completely stupid on 90% of all the table tops they will 'grace' with their presence.

Overall not a bad start to the 'new' VC's and I'm still considering getting the army book for purely aesthetic and curiosity purposes (not looked at an 8th ed book yet).

Offline powerfrog99

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2012, 04:02:51 PM »
After being not impressed by the models and prices of so many of the GW plastic boxes, the at that time "new" VC skeletons and wights really brought me back to actually buy and paint GW plastics.
The new skaven fell on the same fruitful soil.
This new sets particularily the riders and the "throne" are a absolute must for me, really nice sculpts reminding me a bit of some Rackham sculpts.

cheers Thomas

These days it's Wargods and Warhammer Armies Project I am working on !

Check out my gallery here on LAF
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?action=gallery;su=user;u=2521