Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 09:30:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: How to Make Banners?  (Read 4437 times)

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
Re: How to Make Banners?
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2011, 10:01:29 PM »
I am a Brit, Plynkes... but your instructions may be a little outré... oh my god no that worked! Thanks very much for the info!

Now I just have to refer back to this thread every time I want an é!

Is there a list of these codes anywhere? The number of times I need an 'o' or 'u' with an umlaut is not even funny...

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2011, 10:13:35 PM »
On my Vista PC it you press the Windows symbol at the bottom left of the screen to bring up programs, and from there it is All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Character Map.

Character Map is the key name to look for if your edition of Windows is different. It is a program that displays all the symbols your edition of Windows can display whether they are on they keyboard or not, and tells you the Alt+xxxx code you need to type in to get them to display, or alternatively there is a Copy/Paste function (as not all the characters have a code for some reason). It has all the accents, umlauts, cedillas, those funny Scandinavian vowels with a line through them that gave Asterix so much trouble when trying to talk to Vikings, and god-knows-what-else there. Loads of symbols that are entirely mysterious to me, too.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
  • Balding bloke with a 'V'
    • Svenns Little Men
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2011, 10:14:23 PM »
Never use puree in our house so that option is closed.  I have used normal kitchen/cooking foil which is quite strong when "doubled" up with a coat of pva inside but I prefer good old fashioned paper.
"A jewelled sceptre plucked by order to serve their cause"

Offline Grimmnar

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2012, 08:01:20 AM »
Copy and paste from here, if you like...
 :)
Alternatively, 'e' acute is Alt+0233 on a British Windows PC (though you have to punch the numbers on the numeric keypad, not the ones above the letters). Might be the same on other PCs, couldn't tell you. I can't remember whether you are a Brit or not Red Orc, sorry.  :)
Yep, works the same on my American Windows PC.  :-)

Grimm

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2012, 09:24:20 PM »
Thanks for the info Plynkes. I've looked for 'Character Map' where you suggested (my version of Windows is earlier) but haven't managed to find it yet. I'll keep trying though.

Offline batpan

• Student
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2012, 06:37:45 PM »
I have never seen such tomato puree tube here in Greece, but for my flags I use the inner aluminioum foil cover for airthightness of instant coffee tins.

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2012, 07:47:05 AM »
I forgot about this thread  until I saw Hammers had moved it from How To..., but I did eventually write up my basic tut on making banners from greenstuff.

It's over on the Warbard.

Offline Mako

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2012, 03:52:14 AM »
Plain paper works very well for me, and you can either design your own flags, and/or get images for free off the net, and copy them into MS Word, for resizing. 

Use the right button on your mouse, to adjust the size of the flags, as needed, after you've clicked on the image.  Match the other side of the flag in the same way.

A photoshop, or art program is useful too, if you need to reverse an image for the other side of the flag - do that first, and then paste both halves into MS Word, and re-size as desired.  I use millimeters when doing flag work - you can adjust that in your settings, as needed.

I then make a small rectangle to match the color of the two halves of the flag, and fit to size and shape needed to cover the diameter of the pole I'm using.  Place it between the two flag halves.

By holding down the control button in Word, and using the arrow keys, you can position the rectangle precisely as needed, between the two flag halves.

Let dry, after printing.

Then, use white glue to attach the flag to your pole, lance, etc.

Allow it to dry a little, and then bend it a bit to get the wind-blown look.  Works very well, and is quick to do.  Once the glue dries, it'll stay that way.

Use a magic marker, or colored pen/paint to cover any white showing along the edges, where you've glued them together.  This attention to detail improves the look of them by 100%.

Some people even paint over their flags with either paint, or in Photoshop, to give them a multi-colored look, as if the flag has faded a bit in some spots.  That looks very nice too, when well done.