Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:55:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: First impressions of Tannhäuser  (Read 3169 times)

Offline Poliorketes

• King of the Congo
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Never look back
First impressions of Tannhäuser
« on: December 16, 2007, 10:31:03 AM »
Got me Tannhäuser yesterday. WIll try it out today. - the board game this week and had a first trial game on Friday night.

Sa far there is the basic game including a two sided game board, 10 pre-painted Miniatures (5 for the Reich, 5 for the Allies), lots of markers and the rules, of course.

The Miniatures
The proportions are realistic, i.e. they are on the slim side. They are a little bit larger than 40K, so sadly they don't mix well with most pulp ranges. The painting of some of the minis is awful, but most are just OK.

The Board
Only two 60x60cm floor plans, but thanks to the pathfinding system they are really good to use.

The Rules
T is a fast playing, tactical skirmish game where every character has it's own strengths and weaknesses. With more characters to come it will be challenging to build the right force for your game, but with the basic game you're quite limited. It would be great to get access to more of the tropper type minis separately. But I guess you can substitute them with other manufacturers products.

The german translation is made from the english version, while the original is french - I guess this is one reason for some unclear definitions. A FAQ in german is necessary, as some basic rules could be read one ore another way (e.g. weapon range). The german edition has one textblock left english. This should be errated by the editor.

Additions
So far there are two new character packs available in french and english and the first expansion Operation Novgorod in english. More to come, I hope.

I like the game, but be careful where to buy. German prices are from 60 EUR to 41,95 (!).
If you come for the king, you better not miss (Omar)

Offline Agis

• villainous mastermind
  • Galactic Brain
    • A.D.Publishing
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2007, 12:52:24 PM »
I played it last week and we had great fun.
The only problem IMO is that it is rather limited in the board approach.
I would have like a randomly created board system like Warhammer Quest and some campaign rules more.
Otherwise a great game with some good mechanics (opposed dice rolls, alternating activations etc)
cheers and keep on gaming, Agis - http://www.adpublishing.de

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
Re: First impressions of Tannhäuser
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2007, 02:29:22 PM »
Quote from: "Poliorketes"
They are a little bit larger than 40K, so sadly they don't mix well with most pulp ranges.

I agree that the Union troops are too large to use with other ranges as they are supposed to be normal scale people but I think that the Reich troops (with the exception of the woman with the whip) actually work rather well as they are meant to be "larger than life" characters. I've put most of my Union troops aside (I got the unpainted boxed set) but the Reich troops are all based and ready to go on my painting table.

Offline Agis

• villainous mastermind
  • Galactic Brain
    • A.D.Publishing
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2007, 06:01:26 PM »
All work very well with AT-43 minis or as Superheroes (/villains)!
 :wink:

Offline Poliorketes

• King of the Congo
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Never look back
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2007, 09:46:52 AM »
Quote from: "Agis"

Red Block... hm, that's an idea!

Offline Agis

• villainous mastermind
  • Galactic Brain
    • A.D.Publishing
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2007, 11:26:51 AM »
Quote from: "Poliorketes"
Quote from: "Agis"

Red Block... hm, that's an idea!

:mrgreen: My thought exactly...

Offline supervike

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • supervike's stuff
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2007, 09:54:11 PM »
I've had this game since this past summer.  I enjoy it quite a bit, as it is relatively simple to learn and understand.

The board comes with two sides, and I notice that each side seem to favor one of the factions.  The 'crypt' level def. gives the allies (and thier longer ranged weapons) an advantage, while the basement level and its relatively shorter rooms pells well to the Reichs close combat skills.

I really like the auto kills in it, as they can make the game very wild in a short peroid of time.  I have the two new character packs as well, but we have yet to integrate those into our gameplay.

Most of the games we have played are simply 'deathmatch'...Last one alive wins, but we have played a capture the flag and the 'scenario' based gameplay as well.  Those latter two add a bit of element that makes for nice variety in the game.

A FAQ was finally released in English which cleared up some inconsistancies in the rules.  

Our typical games have lasted about 90 mins. each.