Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 11:48:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691114
  • Total Topics: 118375
  • Online Today: 905
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: First Impressions...  (Read 2891 times)

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
First Impressions...
« on: November 17, 2007, 03:38:00 PM »
Well, I've had a chance to go through the rules & play a couple of "paper-exercise" games, running through turn sequence, firing, hand-to-hand etc.

This is not a "review" as such, merely a few ramblings on my initial impressions of the rules. First impressions are.......

Very Good Indeed!  :mrgreen:

I like the way the rules are organised, it seems very logical to me & I had no trouble understanding the concepts, or looking up things I was unsure of. The fonts, page layout, diagrams, photos etc are all clear & easy to read. I like the card system, which would be ideal for games involving large numbers of players, or for soloists like me using large numbers of units. The movement, combat & morale rules all seem to work well, giving the impression that I would be able to play a large solo game easily [with the addition of some suitable solo mechanisms, like Mythic]. All examples of play explain things clearly, leaving even my old low-powered Sinclair ZX brain with no confusion.

The best part, however, is the writing itself. It would win an award in the "Plain English Awards", unlike a certain set of Ancients rules from a very educated & intelligent chap from Birmingham..... :wink:

I'm impressed that on reading the rules, the vast majority of people would assume the writers were brought up in an English-language environment [or the Black Country]- the fact that both are German is a credit to the efficiency of the Teutonic Education System  :lol:

Seriously, this is a set of rules I fell in love with immediately I'd read them - and that's not something that happens too often nowadays!

The free Crisis 07 scenarios are also very useful indeed.

The Ivory Gauntlet & Last Stand At Buro Falls are immediately playable - I actually have all the figures painted & ready to play!

Red Cattle Rustlers had me stumped for a minute or two, until I realised I could easily use Azande for the Raiders & Zanzibaris for the defenders. Not historical, but then again my Darkest Africa never is:lol:  Mahdists raiding an Egyptian area would also work.

The only one I would struggle to use immediately would be the Midnight Raid - if only because I have no WW1 toys. I'm sure I could easily adapt it to Darkest Africa British Vs Zanzibaris, though. Maybe I should buy some DA Belgians, Germans or French to spice things up a bit

So, I'm really very impressed with the whole package.
Bjoern & Christian, thank you very much & I look forward to your future publications with great interest :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Ian

Offline Driscoles

• The Dude
  • Galactic Brain
First Impressions...
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2007, 10:44:29 PM »
Thank you Ian.

You forgot to write that we didnt bribe you  :)

Your "review" ( which sure is no review at all )   :wink: means a lot to us. The T+T rules are not the invention of the wheel and not everything is new but we tried some new things and hope they work. That is mainly the initiative system as well as combining sheer adventure gaming with historical stuff.

Our main goal was that the players use the rules for their needs and adopt or combine own ideas with our rules. Thats what you did !

We are glad you like them and you encourage us to carry on.

Cheers
Björn
, ,