Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 07:14:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691087
  • Total Topics: 118371
  • Online Today: 859
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Aggro84's Gothic Horror Thread  (Read 38157 times)

Offline Papa Spanky

• Scientist
    • Geek in the Basement
Re: Aggro84's Gothic Horror Thread - Zombies or Mummies?
« Reply #75 on: April 04, 2012, 03:53:24 AM »

I think Papa Spanky might have been referring to a Warriors themed idea a buddy of mine and I had a while back.
I'm still thinking about starting this project up as well.  :D

I wanted a main infestation type critter like zombies or mummies. There's nothing to say that werewolves and vampires can't make an appearance as well.  :D

Yep thats what I was reffering to  :). Heres my take on mummy infestation. Zeds, Vamps and Lycans all bite, infect ect. thier victims and turn them, thereby swelling thier ranks to a number that can be respectably be called a horde or infestation. How do you get that many mummys in one place? They don't bite, they pummel, sometimes use scarabs to eat you, but the certainly dont turn you into one of them. Even if they did, they would have to take the time to wrap you in bandages otherwise your just a zombie with dry skin. I guess you could have have the infested town be middle eastern or have the mummies "bussed in" to make that many mummies in one place plausable, but it seems an unlikely scenerio. Don't get me wrong I like mummies, but I think they should be in small groups or as powerful characters.
I know, I know, I should get help because I have .... Mummy issues.  ::)  ;D

I still like my gothic horror Warriors idea. A group of humans trying to get through town while being hunted by gangs of nasties...

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #76 on: April 04, 2012, 01:02:56 PM »
This is a great thread,  a lovely coherent set of miniatures and enviable terrain to play it on.

Keep it up.

Go for Mummies: zombies have been done to death.

This.

I love zombies and have done for many years but they really are very overexposed at this stage.

Even if hordes of mummies behave in a very similar fashion to zombies in your games, you will still have a more memorable set of antagonists than most.

Mummies are quicker to paint too.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #77 on: April 04, 2012, 01:14:25 PM »
Zombies!

There, that threw a spanner in the works, didnt it?
 ;)

I agree that zombies have been done to death, but I always fancied doing a Z project at some point.
So, do Mummies, aggro84, I wouldnt want to clash!
As cheetor said, far easier to paint, too!  :)

(Forgot to mention that your existing Mummies look fantastic. Another reason to carry on wrapping the dead.)

Offline Anpu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
  • Life in the vault is about to change...
« Reply #78 on: April 04, 2012, 01:22:01 PM »
For gothic horror, mummies all the way  :D

Offline aggro84

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Noble Pursuits
« Reply #79 on: April 05, 2012, 03:39:15 AM »
I appreciate everyone's input and kind words.  :D

At this point I've got to go with the Mummies.  :D

So finish my Pulp Figures, place an order with LAF, and order an ass-load of mummies!

Sorry Papa Spanky.  :'(

I initially thought, even before posting, "Now how can I explain  a Victorian City overrun by mummies" and then I thought, "Who cares? Mummies are awesome!"  lol  lol

Offline DFlynSqrl

• Mastermind
« Reply #80 on: April 05, 2012, 04:13:34 AM »
Wow, somehow I missed this thread until now.  You have a great collection going here Aggro.   8)

Offline Papa Spanky

• Scientist
    • Geek in the Basement
« Reply #81 on: April 05, 2012, 04:28:48 AM »

Sorry Papa Spanky.  :'(

I initially thought, even before posting, "Now how can I explain  a Victorian City overrun by mummies" and then I thought, "Who cares? Mummies are awesome!"  lol  lol
And when you paint them with as much love and detail as you paint all your models, I will suspend my disbelief, oh and ah over them and agree that indeed, mummies are awesome!

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #82 on: April 05, 2012, 09:51:53 AM »
"Now how can I explain  a Victorian City overrun by mummies"

• Untested new fangled aetheric embalming procedures have the unfortunate side effect of giving rise to bandage bound unmentionables in 15% of cases.
  • Secret cult members have had the bodies of their members mummified for centuries with the specific intention of their ressurection in the late 1800s.
  • Tightly wrapped body parts are elements of a perceived plague cure, only for the plague victims to subsequently rise bound in the fashion of mummies.
  • etc

"Who cares? Mummies are awesome!"

That works too.

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #83 on: April 05, 2012, 03:23:49 PM »
Now this just my own opinion or prejudice...take your pick, but I'd go for "C": none of the above. While Zombies are cool in a gross sort of way they're somewhat over used lesser undead, & Mummies are, like Vampires, the Elite of the Living Impaired, although they lack the sexy spin of the modern Dracula style blood suckers. I like the Juju style fast, at least marginally intelligent Zombie, or a create-your-own-minion style Zombi-ish creature like my Pumpkin Heads.
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline Skrapwelder

• Mastermind
  • Pluviophile
    • What Ho, Cythereans!
« Reply #84 on: April 05, 2012, 03:57:36 PM »
Fairies! The Victorians were obsessed with them, and I don't mean Mr Wilde. Although perhaps he was an agent of the Sidhe.

Offline aggro84

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Noble Pursuits
« Reply #85 on: April 06, 2012, 01:59:36 AM »
Thanks DFlynSqrl!

Thanks Papa Spanky!

cheetor- I like your input. I knew someone would come up with an idea to make mummies work.  lol

DeafNala- Horde type vampires like the Mantic ghouls was an earlier option, but the people have spoken! Mummies!  lol

Skrapwelder- I enjoyed this thread http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=30516.0 with a faerie faction included. Maybe someday I'll do something similar.  :D
I also got a chuckle out of the Wilde reference.

Offline Spooktalker

• Mad Scientist
    • Warlock of Lead Mountain
« Reply #86 on: April 08, 2012, 07:29:53 PM »
Aggro, you do some great things with the West Wind figs! And the flesh tones of your humans are really impressive. Just the right touch of pink/red in just the right spots.

(these for instance:)

I haven't put up any photos in a few days, so here's Westwind's / Old Glory's elusive Victorian Gentlemen.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 07:33:29 PM by Spooktalker »

Offline aggro84

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Noble Pursuits
« Reply #87 on: April 09, 2012, 09:05:04 PM »
Thank you for the kind words Spooktalker.  :D
I'm glad you noticed the tinting. I used a watered down red around the cheeks, lips and nose and watered down dark blue for stubble (at least on the male figures).

Offline Galland

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #88 on: April 11, 2012, 12:20:50 PM »
I really like your setting for the horror games, and the miniatures are perfect for this, very nice. I am resisting all things 19th century, so we dont slide right in to the damnation of all wargamers... napoleonics. However, I have just been convinced to order and make a few sailors for some Hornblower skirmishes, and I can see some horror events taking place. We did try out some Pike & Shotte Zombie action, but was more of 1750 style, and it was great fun, and not to far away from this sort of... just a few more decades and we are right in to it :D
Tintin - Pulp Adventures in a orderly fashion
Gallows Falls - Western Village
Eisende - Mordheim costal village WIP
Rome - SPQR & Hail Caesar

Offline aggro84

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Noble Pursuits
« Reply #89 on: April 12, 2012, 03:02:34 AM »
Thanks Galland,
If you ask me throwing some supernatural elements in to any historical miniature setting adds some flavor.  :D