Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 06:50:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: F&IW Fort and Terrain  (Read 9913 times)

Offline ffrum

• Librarian
Re: F&IW Fort and Terrain
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2012, 09:48:56 PM »
Here is a photo of the east side of Fort Duquesne, showing the "forested" approach panel.  The ridge in this game setup is closer than the ridge at the actual site (for wargame purposes).

Offline ffrum

• Librarian
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2012, 09:52:36 PM »
This is a photo of the Western side redoubt of the inner fort of the Fort Duquesne model.

This fort and Fort Pitt after it, is bordered on the north and south by two rivers.  The sides facing the rivers are fortified with stockades on the inner fort, while the landward sides of the inner fort are fortified with earth filled timber walls.  This is the "historical" configuration of the fort.  The rivers that border this site are called today the Allegheny on the North, the Monogehela on the South.  These two rivers combine and make the Ohio River to the West, that connects to the Mississippi.

The strategic value of this location was due to the rivers that met here.  That strategic value was the reason for the fort and the contest for the control of this location.  The rivers of teh North American continent were the highways for trade and conquest during this period.  The French called the Allegheny and the Ohio, La Belle Riveria at the time of this fort.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 11:18:38 PM by ffrum »

Offline ffrum

• Librarian
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2012, 10:02:31 PM »
This is a photo taken during the recent game that was played on this terrain, of the intrepid 77th Highlanders atacking the inner fort of Fort Duquesne.  

This unit (Dixon Figures, Old Glory mounted officer) was able to penetrate this close because the British and allies were able to attack at various points around the fort and spread the smaller number of the French defenders trying to cover too many attacks.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 10:13:22 PM by ffrum »

Offline ffrum

• Librarian
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2012, 10:07:11 PM »
Another photo of the recent game using Fort Duquesne.  The Troupe de la Marine unit (Redoubt figures) is posted on the wall of the inner fort to defend the gate and drawbridge.  The drawbridge is closed in this photo, ...no longer awaiting the return of the French remaining defending the outer stockade.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 10:28:12 PM by ffrum »

Offline Engel

• Mastermind
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2012, 10:07:31 PM »
Thats just great. Impressive terrain.  :-*

Offline ffrum

• Librarian
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2012, 10:24:38 PM »
This photo is taken looking out the gate across the drawbridge, of the inner fort of the Fort Duquesne model during the most recent game.   The Troupe de la Marine (Redoubt figures) defend the inner wall.  The cabin on the right side of the gate were the two guards are posted, is where Malor Robert Stobo (who drew and smuggled out a map of the fort) and a Mohawk leader are imprisoned.  Part of the victory conditions for the British and allies include the rescue of the Major.  The Mohawks are intent on the rescue of their leader.   
In this game scenario, the various participants have specific objectives, some of which are conflicting and some of which are common.  This adds additional elements of the unknown to the game.

Visible in the distance beyong the magazine building outside the inner fort, is the outer stockade, still defended by other units of Troupe de la Marines.  Beyond the stockade one can see (out of focus) redcoats approaching.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 10:31:32 PM by ffrum »

Offline Volleyfire!

• Scientist
  • At 100 yards................Volleyfire!!!
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2012, 10:42:14 PM »
That is some fort you've built there. Is the stockade wall bought ready moulded or have you fashioned each stake yourself? It would drive me mad making each stake individually and then having to glue each one seperately, there must be hundreds.

Offline ffrum

• Librarian
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2012, 11:06:25 PM »
That is some fort you've built there. Is the stockade wall bought ready moulded or have you fashioned each stake yourself? It would drive me mad making each stake individually and then having to glue each one seperately, there must be hundreds.

I have told friends that each stake was sharpened with a scale sized axe by little men.  The entire fort, glacis, panels and about 50% of the trees were all constructed by me.  I fashioned a production line technique to do the individual stakes in the outer stockade and the timbers for the buildings, so it was not too bad a task.

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2012, 01:52:31 AM »
Thanks for the close ups of the fort.
Great photos.
Thanks for sharing.
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline Colonel Tubby

• Mastermind
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2012, 05:50:45 PM »
I really don't like it!  lol

But seriously, as I said in an earlier post on this thread that is one fanstastic table and the close-up are much appreciated.

I bet we all wish we could play on a table that good looking.

Offline Galloping Major

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • www.gallopingmajorwargames.com
« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2012, 06:54:33 PM »
I bet we all wish we could play on a table that good looking.

Yup  :)

www.gallopingmajorwargames.com

Offline Shikari Sahib

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2012, 07:34:37 PM »
Very impressive
Compliments
Piero

Offline BillK

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2012, 12:09:02 PM »
All,
I have had the pleasure of gaming on ffrum's terrain and it is wonderful.
What this thread hasn't clearly illustrated is his thousands of figures (F&IW and ACW) and his wondeful ACW terrain.
Ya'll should press him to see some photos of his Brother vs Brother games on that terrain!
  :o :o :o

Cheers,
BillK
Alexandria, VA