Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:31:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: size of "huge" Star Wars minis  (Read 5380 times)

Offline celtoslegion

• Assistant
    • http://www.celtoslegion.de
size of "huge" Star Wars minis
« on: January 03, 2008, 05:59:34 PM »
I'm still tinkering with my spaceport table and are still looking for a few bits and scenery elements.
I still can use a few more vehicles to stuff out the table, so I stumbled across the prepainted star wars minis.

As prepaints go, there is a bit of potential in the human sized figures, so I got already a few, as the commons are really cheap on ebay.

Does anyone know, how the "huge" models compare to regular 28mm figures in terms of size?

I was thinking of getting the following models:

Rebel troop cart
Rebel Snowspeeder
Golan Arms DF.9 anti infantry battery

how do these models look next to lets say copplestone or foundry minis?

thanks for your help

Offline audrey

• Scientist
    • My Oubliette
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 06:27:23 PM »
Watch out as the SW Huge vehicles tend to be a smaller scale than their regular human sized figures. I have a few vehicles and the drivers tend to be smaller. But there is no standard it varies from figure to figure and how large it would normally be. Some are passable some are not. For example the snowspeeder is roughly 30-40% smaller than it should be to be in scale with the regular SW figures. Over all I still think the human Star Wars figures are thinner than copplestone and foundry.

-Audrey
Mistress of slayage

My Oubliette:
http://audreysoubliette.wordpress.com

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 02:03:01 PM »
I've got a few of the large pieces including the Rebel Troop Cart, Hailfire Droid and the Telosian Tank Droid.
They work well as scenery or vehicles/equipment, and some are handy for Pulp, Weir War II, VSF etc.
I've packed them away for Christmas but will try to dig them out and get you some measurements at the weekend
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline bandit86

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008, 05:59:54 AM »
I have the telosian tank droids That i am using for walkers in my Hasselfree Grymn army as well as the troop carts.  I think the work well with my Space dwarves and with Human figures.
Barbarella: What's that screaming? A good many dramatic situations begin with screaming...
http://bandit86.blogspot.com/

Offline Col.Stone

• Mastermind
    • The compound
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2008, 06:14:47 AM »
The snap-kit of the Xwing looks rather good next to a 28, think it scales out at 1/55 :)

Offline celtoslegion

• Assistant
    • http://www.celtoslegion.de
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2008, 08:12:37 PM »
Thanks for all the replies.

I suspected, that the Snowspeeder was too small, but I'll definitly get one or two of the Troop carts and I still think I'm needing two of the Golan batteries.

Ebay seems to be a nice place to get Star Wars single miniatures. Where do you buy them?

The snap kits are nice, but for example the Obi-Wan starfighter is too big for 28mm - I want to check out the new snowspeeder from Revell- it might fit for 28mm.

Offline Col.Stone

• Mastermind
    • The compound
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2008, 11:12:47 AM »
Yeah, the scale on the snap kits are all over the place
i was wrong too, the Xwing is 1/61, it's the Awing that's 1/55
the ships are  close enough for me.. easy to put together(ie sturdy) and readily available are big factors here..
look here for scales on diffferent ships
http://www.starshipmodeler.com/starwars/swars_scales.cfm  :)

I haven't found got around to getting the figures yet, i have a ATAT and a ATST , 1 tie and a Xwing, so i really should try to get my hands on some troopers soon..

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2008, 11:56:37 AM »
Quote from: "bandit86"
I have the telosian tank droids That i am using for walkers in my Hasselfree Grymn army as well as the troop carts.  I think the work well with my Space dwarves and with Human figures.

Do you have any pics? I'm just starting a Grymn army & I think they'd look good together, but would like to see them before I buy.

Cheers,
Ian

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2008, 05:48:13 PM »
Quote from: "celtoslegion"
Ebay seems to be a nice place to get Star Wars single miniatures. Where do you buy them?

Usually get mine from eBay.
There are some quite good eBay shops in the UK that have a good selection.
This one is usually quite good :

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/THORS-HAMMER_Star-Wars-Miniatures_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZ2QQftidZ2QQtZkm

Offline marko.oja

• Scientist
    • My Photobucket
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2008, 07:55:21 PM »
I get mine from http://www.strikezoneonline.com - not the cheapest individual prices, nor the lowest shipping, but they have a good selection of items. Actually, got to check if there are any good bargains at the moment  :)

Marko
Currently painting: Black Hat Three Musketeers range.

Offline bandit86

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2008, 05:41:52 AM »
I just bought a Digital Camera so I hopfully will have pictures up some time in the near future.  The Telosian tank droid is a great size for the Grymn. I reworked it just a bit so that it has a cockpit.  Most of the other Star Wars stuff I have seen are a good size for 28mm.  Ans Ebay is the place to go.

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2008, 09:06:42 AM »
Quote from: "bandit86"
I just bought a Digital Camera so I hopfully will have pictures up some time in the near future.  The Telosian tank droid is a great size for the Grymn. I reworked it just a bit so that it has a cockpit.  Most of the other Star Wars stuff I have seen are a good size for 28mm.  Ans Ebay is the place to go.

Good news, I'll look forward to that.

Well, I saw there were a few for sale on E-bay, so I bid for one. My competitor outbid me, so even though it was still cheap, I looked at an E-bay shop. He had 6 for sale so I bought two for approx the same as the other bloke had paid for the first one.  Two models for GBP 7.43 inc shipping  :lol:

I'd like to see your cockpit conversion as even though they are good-looking models, they do need something else. I may adapt the guns, too, as I'm not too keen on them and I have a few GW Space Marine weapons left over from my son's 40K collection. :)