Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:34:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Star Wars "Shards of the Empire" (New Episode 10th Jan, 16)  (Read 5095 times)

Offline Ironworker

• Mastermind
    • http://ironworkersminiatures.blogspot.com/
Star Wars "Shards of the Empire" (New Episode 10th Jan, 16)
« on: January 03, 2016, 04:55:37 AM »

Hey guys I'm running a new Star Wars campaign set just a little over a year after Endor following the new time line established by "The Force Awakens" and the related new materials.  This game will feature a privateer starfighter squadron so I will be using Fantasy Flights X-wing to handle space combat and Savage worlds for the roleplaying.  I am considering switching to Fantasy Flights Star Wars RPG rules later on though.

I'm kind of taking it easy with this campaign.  Eventually I will have custom miniatures and terrain but for now I'm just using the WoTC Star Wars minis and some of my regular terrain.  

I'll be posting projects and game reports in this thread with links to my blog.  Tonight I ran an introductory session for the two players I had show up.  It's a kind of prelude to the actual campaign.  
Check it out here:http://ironworkersminiatures.blogspot.com/2016/01/star-wars-shards-of-empire-season-01.html
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 11:06:00 PM by Ironworker »

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
Re: Star Wars "Shards of the Empire" campaign set 1 year after Endor
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2016, 07:46:43 AM »
Very interesting!
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Predatorpt

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Sci-Fi blog - Task Force Thor
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2016, 01:54:22 PM »
Glad to see you back! And with a Star Wars game :o

I guess that you read the "Aftermath" novel? Your intro seems to fit right after it. Good luck with your campaign.

Offline Ironworker

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2016, 03:14:36 PM »
I have not picked up that book yet.  I went to buy it the same day I saw "The Force Awakens" from the local book store but they were out and have not re-stocked.  I've just been doing a lot of research. 

Offline huesped

• Mad Scientist
  • "-El Emperador no es tan magnánimo como yo"
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2016, 04:54:52 PM »
Cool Scenario story and scenery as well!!

Offline Predatorpt

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2016, 05:17:37 PM »
I have not picked up that book yet.  I went to buy it the same day I saw "The Force Awakens" from the local book store but they were out and have not re-stocked.  I've just been doing a lot of research. 

I guess you'll enjoy it, once you get past the way Chuck Wendig writes (short sentences; small chapters) and you don't mind that he doesn't use many characters from the original movies. I liked it a lot and think that it does just what the title says, covering the aftermath of a great galactic war  ;)

Offline Hupp n at em

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2016, 05:43:30 PM »
I'm also glad to see you back, I always love seeing your newest junk/toy scratchbuild.  :)

Offline Commander Carnage

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2016, 07:27:48 PM »
Great stuff, I can't wait to see more.
"Just don't roll a one!"

Offline Ironworker

• Mastermind
Re: Star Wars "Shards of the Empire" (New Episode 10th Jan, 16)
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2016, 11:09:56 PM »

I've got a new prelude episode for my Star Wars "Shards of the Empire" game up on my blog.

This particular episode went completely off script but it was a lot of fun to play.  

Check out the rest of the episode "Lonesome Mynock" here:  http://ironworkersminiatures.blogspot.com/2016/01/star-wars-shards-of-empire-season-01_10.html
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 11:12:07 PM by Ironworker »

Offline Predatorpt

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2016, 03:36:47 AM »
It sure sounded like a good game even if you - as the gamemaster - had some extra work.  lol

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2016, 03:14:49 PM »
Kewl!

Are you working in any player 'advancement'?

There's a fellow in the UK who's doing it in a campaign that's strictly X-Wing, and I admire the effort. I'd like to introduce something similar in the store up here (remember me, the fellow in Nebraska who keeps hoping to run into you at Recruits?), but I'm sure I'm not the one to figure the right set up, so ANY pointers would be good!

Doug

Offline Ironworker

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2016, 09:25:43 PM »
My players will be advancing in the Savage Worlds rules.  I've converted the pilot skill to the X-Wing Pilot ratings and added some X-wing effects to some of the edges. 

This is a work in progress.

Savage Worlds to X-wing Conversion

Pilot Skill Conversion

No skill = pilot rating 1

D4 skill = pilot rating 2

D6 skill = pilot rating 4

D8 skill = pilot rating 6

D10 skill = pilot rating 8

D12 skill = pilot rating 10

D12+1 skill = pilot rating 11

D12+2 skill = pilot rating 12

Effects of various edges:

Ace:  raise pilot rating by 1. spend a benny to make a soak roll for your ship that has just received damage.  Roll the ship's defensive rating.  Evades remove one damage and it’s effects in the case of a critical from the ship. Note this can be used to restore shield damage as well as lost hull points.  This only counts against damage from one particular attack. 

Alertness: Gain an additional defense die when an enemy who has a lock on you is attacking. 

First Strike: When an enemy target moves within range 1 of your ship make an attack roll of 1 against that target with your primary weapon.  This happens during the movement phase.  The defender makes a normal defense roll against this attack but if the attack succeeds they lose any action unless they have used an action to get into that range.  You may make this attack only when an enemy moves into range 1 not if the player moves their ship into range 1 of an enemy. 

Improved First Strike: Same as First Strike but roll 2 attacks even if your ship's firepower is only 1.  You may also use this ability with a secondary weapon.

Marksman: Gain the Marksman elite pilot ability as an extra pilot ability.

Tactician: When the player’s ship activates roll an attack die.  On a hit or critical the payer gains one focus which he can immediately assign to any friendly ship in the combat.   

Dead Shot:  When the player rolls a critical they may choose to deal two damage instead of resolving the critical. 

Bounty Hunter (SW 6.0) gain an extra firepower at range 1.

Smuggler (SW 6.0) gain an extra defense at range 3+. 

Offline Ironworker

• Mastermind
Re: Star Wars "Shards of the Empire" (X-Wing scale freighters (16th Jan, 16)
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2016, 04:24:36 PM »

I scratch built a couple of freighters for my Shards of the Empire campaign.  They are X-wing scale for a game I'm running tonight.  Threw the together and painted them in a couple of evening so I'm okay with the way they turned out. 

Offline Michka

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2016, 04:06:08 PM »
Those are cool. Could you please take a side shot for us, because these are just too cool.

Offline Ironworker

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2016, 06:17:43 PM »
I'll have a report up hopefully by tomorrow with some more angles in the battle scenes but I can also try and do a post specifically about them.  I also need to take some more shots of this badass flat bed hover truck my wife made for the campaign.