Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 08:18:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Varnish....  (Read 4826 times)

Online Steve F

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Pedantic bugger, apparently.
Re: Varnish....
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2012, 10:27:10 AM »
If it's of any use, Mr Marx, you might try art stores for W&N Galeria matt varnish (brush-on) - great stuff and widely available.
Back from the dead, almost.

Offline krieghund

• Scientist
  • Beyond all Reason
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2012, 10:47:37 AM »
What Steve F said. I've been using it over my Humbrol gloss varnish for a while now and am pleased with the results.

Offline Mr.Marx

• Mastermind
    • Bloggity-Blog-Blog / "The Zone"
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2012, 11:09:22 AM »
If it's of any use, Mr Marx, you might try art stores for W&N Galeria matt varnish (brush-on) - great stuff and widely available.

What Steve F said. I've been using it over my Humbrol gloss varnish for a while now and am pleased with the results.

I just had a friend email me saying to buy the stuff too. They sell it at "Mrs.Rosecrafts Wool, Curtans and Arts Shop" in town, so I can pop down there today :)

Thanks

MM

Offline Mr.Marx

• Mastermind
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2012, 06:52:23 PM »
Hey all.

I came down stairs today to find my half-wife waiting with a bottle of W&N Matt Varnish and a can of Grey Spray-paint (I was busy all day and she knew that I would not have had time to pop into town today - Nice of her eh?)

So question is - how do I use this W&N stuff? Do I put it on neat? do I water it down? A friend of mine says to wait until it separates then drain off some of the 'carrier' - but it has yet to separate and its been on a table for 12 hours.

Any advice?

Thanks all

MM

Ps. Thanks Prof for moving this to the Workbench now that it has turned into a 'how to varnish things' thread rather than a ':( everything has gone wrong. pity me.' one. :)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 06:54:25 PM by Mr.Marx »

Online Steve F

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Pedantic bugger, apparently.
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2012, 06:56:35 PM »
W & N - Store it upside down, use it neat.

Offline Bugsda

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2012, 06:57:44 PM »
Shake it 'till your arm goes numb then shake it some more with the other arm, thin it a bit with white Spirit, brush on evenly.

Keep the half wife, she sounds special  ;)

Orctrader has a tutorial for varnishing somewhere on here. :)
Well I've lead an evil life, so they say, but I'll outrun the Devil on judgement day.

Offline Mitch K

• Mastermind
  • The Horror! The Horror!
    • Mitch's Wargaming and Modelmaking
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2012, 07:11:14 PM »

If you really, really can't manage without spraying the stuff, if you mix W&N Galeria with about 1% acrylic flow improver and 25% Liquitex spray medium, it sprays a treat through a cheap airbrush.

I've tried a variety of spray can matt varnishes and found they are disturbingly inconsistent, not merely from can to can, but within cans as well!
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe, hammer to fit, paint to match!

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Orctrader's Painted Figures
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2012, 07:16:41 PM »
Shake it 'till your arm goes numb then shake it some more with the other arm, thin it a bit with white Spirit, brush on evenly.

Keep the half wife, she sounds special  ;)

They are talking about W&N - water-based stuff - whereas we are talking about the DR stuff.

http://www.orctrader.co.uk/Articles/Varnish.html

(Incidentally, I never thin it.  In experiments I found that even a little White Spirit reduced the almost miraculous mattness of a "prepared" bottle.)

Offline Mr.Marx

• Mastermind
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2012, 07:49:53 PM »
If you really, really can't manage without spraying the stuff, if you mix W&N Galeria with about 1% acrylic flow improver and 25% Liquitex spray medium, it sprays a treat through a cheap airbrush.

I've tried a variety of spray can matt varnishes and found they are disturbingly inconsistent, not merely from can to can, but within cans as well!

I am planning on brushing it on - putting it into my airbrush is just asking for trouble. I still shudder when I think of the 'white paint' fiasco.

Keep the half wife, she sounds special  ;)

(Incidentally, I never thin it.  In experiments I found that even a little White Spirit reduced the almost miraculous mattness of a "prepared" bottle.)

Ok. Got it. Shake, shake, shake, then brush it on. Sound easy enough. Best find a figure that I don't really care about as I am sure that I can find some way to balls it up.

And Bugsda, she turns up with modeling supply and often home-baked cake, but at the expense of her cat addiction.  ::)

Cheers all. I'll tell you how it went after an hour so so - Im gonna go give it a go right now.

MM

Offline Bugsda

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2012, 08:10:11 PM »
They are talking about W&N - water-based stuff - whereas we are talking about the DR stuff.

Woops! DR not WS, my spelling's getting worse! Disregard what I said Mr Marx, except the "keep the wife" bit  ;)

Must be why I keep getting streaks Malcolm, no more white spirit for me then  8)

PS. I'd still shake the hell out of it, you can never over mix a matt varnish.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 08:12:33 PM by Bugsda »

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Orctrader's Painted Figures
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2012, 09:06:32 PM »
Woops! DR not WS, my spelling's getting worse! Disregard what I said Mr Marx, except the "keep the wife" bit  ;)

Must be why I keep getting streaks Malcolm, no more white spirit for me then  8)

PS. I'd still shake the hell out of it, you can never over mix a matt varnish.

WS = White Streaks - Yes, I've seen that with DR in my experiments.

W&N - water based - I have used it, but for me it has never reached the Holy Grail of mattness that DR provides.   ::) Even with some carrier removed and Tamiya Flat Base added.

With DR - a "prepared" and tested bottle - I stir vigorously with an old plastic-handle paint brush.  Then after stirring, I shake it like mad for at least a minute.  Then shake it some more.   :)

Offline Mr.Marx

• Mastermind
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2012, 10:34:38 PM »
I varnished my first few models with the W&N. The stuff appears to work a treat just an hour after being painted on - cant wait to see it fully dried. Ive had a little read, I'll wait till this time tomorrow and put on another layer of the stuff.

All of the areas I have painted with gloss are no longer glossy including decals, which is awesome.

I have taken on the advice on removing some of the carrier ect to make it more perfectly matty - but at the moment I am very happy with the result and my painting skills aren't up to scratch (yet) for it to make any real difference.

So yeah ........  :D

MM