Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 10:42:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690906
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 907
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Squats/Grymn for 2nd edition 40k  (Read 22540 times)

Offline MadMö

• Librarian
Re: Squats/Grymn for 2nd edition 40k
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2012, 07:27:27 PM »
Beautiful!
May we see more please ;D

Offline Minion

• Student
  • Action Scientist
    • The Idea Refinery
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2012, 12:24:14 PM »
Thanks MadMö! I am, unfortunately, a slow painter. But I'll try to give you new things to look at!

We're currently in the middle of a 2nd ed campaign, and our next game is tomorrow night. We were originally scheduled to play 1500 point games, but one of the players is going to have to leave early. Rather than exclude him, we decided to try something different -- 500 point armies, alternating activation, and a race to secure some valuable intel!

We're allowed 1 character (up to 100 points, no wargear over 15 points), and no vehicles or support options of any kind. Here's the army I'm taking:

It's lead by an Ancestor, right in the middle. Behind him is the fire support: a squad of Warriors with two Heavy Bolters. To his left is the mobile attack: a squad of Warriors with a Plasma Gun. In front is the advanced element: a Recon Squad (infiltrators) armed with Needle Sniper Rifles. And to his right, the shock troopers: a squad of Berserkers (frenzied, furious charging, power-weapon wielding Squats).

I just assembled the Berserkers today:

I toyed with just using ordinary Hasslefree close combat troopers to represent Berserkers, but somehow it didn't seem right. These are my next attempt, and I'm not sure they fit. The come with 5+ invulnerable saves (represented by their bulky, rune-encrusted armour) and twin power axes (represented by their massive fists). I imagine they're some sort of unusual adjunct to the regular Squat army; an obscure death cult, or perhaps a throwback tribe.

Anyway, I just love the models, so it would be great to have a use for them!

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2012, 02:18:07 PM »
Lovely.  :-*

The berserkers look great! What range are they from? I can see them doing double duty as updated Hearthguard in exo-suits (never really could get away with the egg on legs look of the originals).

I love your colour scheme too, it reminds me of the old Action Force Space Force figures for some reason:

And y'know, that's cool...

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2012, 03:00:47 PM »

Fantastic use of colour on these guys, both in choice and application. They have a very Saturday morning, pulp sci-fi look rarely seen with space dwarfs.

Great stuff.

Where are the berserker miniatures from?

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2012, 03:16:20 PM »
Fantastic use of colour on these guys, both in choice and application. They have a very Saturday morning, pulp sci-fi look rarely seen with space dwarfs.

Great stuff.

Where are the berserker miniatures from?

They have a rackham feel to them but not sure

Offline Dr.Falkenhayn

• Mastermind
  • guckst du?
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2012, 03:33:02 PM »
yes, Rackham Confrontation Tir na Bor Dwarves i believe  ???

Offline Minion

• Student
  • Action Scientist
    • The Idea Refinery
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2012, 09:46:21 PM »
Yup, Lowtardog and Dr. Falkenhayn have it! The Berserkers are old Confrontation metals: Tir Na Bor Meteors of the Aegis. The one launching on the jetpack is a special character Meteor called Fulgor. Only three of the four in the box are usable for me. The fourth has his helmet off, and his head is in a very different scale to the Grymn figures.

The berserkers look great! What range are they from? I can see them doing double duty as updated Hearthguard in exo-suits (never really could get away with the egg on legs look of the originals).

Thanks JollyBob! If circumstances had been different, and I'd learnt about these Meteors sooner (I saw them for the first time last Thursday), they might very well have ended up as my Hearthguard! As it is, I've got the Kolossi for that job, standing in the background looking huge:

You're very kind cheater, cheers! I actually think a big part of what gives them the Saturday-morning-pulp-sci-fi feel is the way I paint them. First everything gets basecoated, and then I wash the entire model with black. That gives a sort of black-line effect that reminds me very much of cartoons. And it's quite deliberate! :)

Offline Mutant Jon

• Bookworm
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2012, 09:17:30 AM »
Some cool stuff here very inspiring. I've just dug out all my 1st edition 40k books and am thinking about doing some 1000pt armies for 1st edition there are some nice ideas for squats here....I may have to eh... erm..... borrow ;)

Offline Brandlin

• Mad Scientist
    • Brandlin
« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2012, 07:16:02 PM »
Ok, who has been hiding this thread from me? Why did I not see it before???

But first up.... I'm an inspiration!!!  It must be true it's on the Internet!!

Fabulous painting and imagining of the army. A bit of a quibble but squats were dumb comedy, whereas Grymn are cool and gritty, they're not interchangeable lol

I must admit i love your colour scheme, the dark turquoise with whites and greys is great... But then that's how I did mine! (I nicked it from Jenova). I think the visors and the yellow on the gun really make the image pop, but I can't get my head round why you'd paint a military weapon yellow lol..

Great job so far!
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 08:49:12 PM by Brandlin »

Offline Andy H

• Librarian
« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2012, 02:45:41 PM »
Stunning work  :)

Offline Minion

• Student
  • Action Scientist
    • The Idea Refinery
« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2012, 02:22:57 PM »
Hi all! Been a while since I posted here -- took a bit of a break from the 2nd edition 40k. But now: I'm back! Let's see, what haven't I posted...

Well, I've got a couple of the Berserkers painted up, heading towards a squad. Only photographed one, but here he is:

And just yesterday, I finished up my first ever tank! Never painted one before, so I'm pretty pleased with the results. Not perfect, but it'll do!

Thanks for the kind words, Mutant Jon. Did you ever get those 1000pt armies together?

But first up.... I'm an inspiration!!!  It must be true it's on the Internet!!

You are, and I'm happy to tell anyone who asks! :) Cheers for the comments, and for getting me started on this whole crazy thing in the first place!

Fabulous painting and imagining of the army. A bit of a quibble but squats were dumb comedy, whereas Grymn are cool and gritty, they're not interchangeable lol

Exactly! I wouldn't be building this army if I had to do it with classic Squats -- too silly. But the Grymn: serious enough to look the business, and just cartoony enough for my colour scheme to work!

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2012, 05:55:20 PM »
Nice crisp painting, really shows off the minis to their best.

Well done, that man!
 :-*

Offline Brandlin

• Mad Scientist
    • Brandlin
« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2012, 07:24:28 PM »
Superb. Loving the old crow vehicle...

Offline Centaur_Seducer

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Gubbspel
« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2012, 08:04:47 PM »
Inspiring thread! And the Grymms keep growing as a "I should probably get these for a project in the future" way too fast!

Offline Tacgnol

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2012, 08:30:30 PM »
I absolutely LOVE those berserkers. They looked good unpainted but the paintjob shows off just how amazing the sculpt is. Top drawer stuff Minion, loving it.