Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 02:16:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691135
  • Total Topics: 118375
  • Online Today: 905
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Kalmar Union War  (Read 11156 times)

Offline Dalauppror

• Mastermind
  • www.dalauppror.blogspot.com
    • Dalauppror Wargamingblog
Kalmar Union War
« on: March 17, 2012, 05:56:59 PM »
Hi

Noticed that I hadenīt post anything here about my Kalmar Union War project, i.e. warfare in Sweden during the 15th century.

I started up this project in december 2010 and have been working on it sins then, of course with some side steps like a warband for SAGA or two...

As Iīm from Sweden I decided to make me a "Rebell" Swedish and a Union/Danish army dated 1463-1471 that was a realy turbulent time in the Swedish history, much like the WOTR.

Sweden had several noble Houses that was fighting for personel power, for and against the Kalmar Union...many using nationalist propaganda to cause dissatiatisfaction amongst the Allmoge to gain there needed support.

You can find a short historical recap here, for the ones that have fogotten about the history of the Kalmar Union  ;)

It all started as a Imperus project, but after the I used to thin MDF for the first two bases, they warped... I decided to go for smaller bases...this would also give me more flexebillity to try out other rules, all of the games so far have been played using Hail Caesar.

Basing
Infantry 40x40mm 3 fott minis
Cavalry 40x50mm 2 mounted minis
Commanders 40x50 1 mounted and 2 foot

Allmoge soldiers
Here are some Swedish Allmoge units... They was all freemen working as Farmers, Yeomen, Mainers, Craftsmen etc. Thanks to the many Rebellions during the last 30 years they had become a Powerfull factor that no Noblemen could overlook if they wanted to retain there power and wealth.

The Allmoge troops prefered to fight in quite dense terrein, luring their opponents in to Ambushes. They were unusually well equipped and effective for non-professional medieval infantry and fought in mixed formations of men with polearms and crossbowmen/bows. The numbers of polearms and crossbows/bows in the formation seems to have been roughly equal with 2-3 ranks of crossbow-/bowmen and 2-3 ranks of polearms.

Thes minis I use are 28mm from all kind of manufacturs mainly Perry Plastic but also, Kingmaker, Curteys Miniatures, Claymore Castings, Essex, Foundry and more. I wanted to make a real mixed look using both men armed with polearms, crossbows and bows.

Long first post... you can find more at my blog... I will try to update here to :)

Best regards dalauppror
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 06:58:29 PM by Dalauppror »

Offline Paul

• Mastermind
    • Paulīs Bods
Re: Kalmar Union War
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 06:07:42 PM »
 :-* Very nice.
I knew the truck didnīt want to hit me...it had dodge written on the front

Paulīs Bods Blog
Federation of Bodstonia

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 01:00:24 AM »
Very cool.
I have been to your blog a number of times.
Enjoy looking at all your excellent figures.
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline Dalauppror

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 06:41:41 AM »
Thanks !

Glad that you found my blogg, AND keep comming back, very appreciated  :)

Offline janner

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Laughing Cavalier
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 08:56:03 AM »
It's a great blog - highly recommended  :D

Offline Engel

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2012, 12:08:50 PM »
Nice to see you sharing your Kalmar union war project here.

Offline Dalauppror

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2012, 01:52:59 PM »
Thanks !!!

Got to spread some Swdish history to the mass  ;)

Offline Dalauppror

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2012, 10:01:55 AM »
Updated my blog with some pictures of my latest finished units.

Here are 2 pictures of the newly painted German Mercenary mixed in with therie units of Danish/Union infantry.

The Danes made extensive use of Mercenary, mostly from Germany, under their own command or in some cases a german noblemen. these units are under command of Swedish/Danish border nobility.

The border nobility aim at Noble Houses that had estates in both Denmark and Sweden. They often sided for the Union due to better trade possibilitys and to secure their estates in both contrys.

These are a mix of all sort of minis, Perry, Crusader and Games Workshop amongst other...

The Unit are under command of the Swedish Noblemen with a Danish alignament, Erik Kortson of the House of Nipertz.

The House of Nipertz was realy from Mecklenburg but they moved to Sweden during the last decade of the 14th century as opponent to Albreckt of Mecklenburg and keen supporters of Queean Margarets establishment of the Kalmar Union.

Havenīt found any real historical account that they were used in Sweden during the 15th centery. But as the Danes employed greate numbers of european mercenarys, including crossbowmen they probably brought the pavises...

Anyway they was included in the perry plastic box and just had to be used;)

Offline v_lazy_dragon

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2012, 11:25:17 AM »
I'm a fan of the blog - and it's great to see these figures here too.  :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*
Xander
Army painters thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=56540.msg671536#new
WinterApoc thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=50815.0

Offline DoctorPete

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2012, 12:24:23 PM »
Thanks for sharing.  I've never heard of this conflict.  Nice figures!
I am not a quack!  I'm a mad scientist.  There IS a difference!

Offline Dalauppror

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2012, 02:38:30 PM »
Thanks !!!

Glad that you follow my blog and to be able to let you know a little part of the Swedeish history.

Best regards Dalauppror

Offline airbornegrove26

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2012, 02:44:26 PM »
Really like the look of this army.  Great paint job.

Offline Dalauppror

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2012, 08:47:17 PM »
Thanks !!!

A couple of more pictures...

One more unit of German mercenarys in the service of the union king. This time under comand of Trotte Karlsson  from the House of Eka, Knight and Privy Council, fallen in the battle of Brunkeberg October 10, 1471. Son of Karl Magnusson (Eka) and Bridget Arentsdotter (Pinnow).

Trotte Karlsson was a knight and member of the Privy Council.  During Karl Knutsson's last royal period(1467-70), he held Ringstaholms castle.

In 1464 he belonged to the imprisoned Archbishop Jons Bengtsson's supporters in the battle against King Christian I. In the following years he changinges sid in the fighting between King Christian of Denmark and the major Swedish men.

In 1471 he supported King Christian's at the battle of Brunkeberg, where he was killed. The story tells that he sat down to rest during the fight and when he turned up his helmet he was struck by a bösslod (bullet) between the eyes. He was buried in Uppsala Cathedral.

Close-up of the Commander for the Union crossbow men, a old GW mini and a real favourite...Heīs sooo angry;)

Some better equipped Swedish allmoge soldiers, minis from perry, claymore castings and perry, they havent been drafted for a uniot just yet...

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2012, 09:41:17 PM »
I'm a fan of the blog - and it's great to see these figures here too.  :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

Yeah, it's certainly a blog that I would recommend  8) 8) 8).

I knew next to nothing about the Kalmar Union War et al until I started to read your blog., which is strange given my obsession with Late Medieval warfare  :).

Great mini's matched by the research- can't go wrong  8) 8) 8) 8) 8).

Darrell.

Offline Dalauppror

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2012, 06:18:43 PM »
Thanks Darrell !!!

Very kind words :)

Best regards dalauppror