Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 04:18:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The Gibbon falls victim to Silflor product placements  (Read 7332 times)

Offline Super_Gibbon

• Scientist
    • Steel City Supers
The Gibbon falls victim to Silflor product placements
« on: January 16, 2008, 03:47:17 PM »
I just blew over 50 bucks on some packs of the Siflor grass tufts that have appeared in a few threads recently. It had to be done. I've often felt my bases lacked some zazz so this should do the trick. If other tuft obsessed folks are out there and want more info, the Gibbon will post some pics and a mini review here so you can see what you get. I'm halfway through a little warband of Mega Minis goat men with some other odds and ends and they might get the Silflor treatment if it gets here in time.

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 05:21:51 PM »
Please do. I've mulled it over in the past, but have yet to pull the trigger.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 08:26:34 PM »
I'm loving those grass tufts. I might plant them on the heads of all my Darkest African spearmen...

Anyone know if there's a UK or European source?

Offline Super_Gibbon

• Scientist
    • Steel City Supers
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 08:55:13 PM »
According to theoldschool, who used the tufts on his sweet Spartans, he got them from International Models who handle Silflor in Europe. He said it might be cheaper to get them from Scenery Express in the US because International Models sells it in smaller sheets.

Offline Deathwing

• Mad Scientist
    • World's End Publishing
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008, 09:23:13 PM »
I tried them, But I find them too fidley.  Maybe the ones I got are just too small.

Joey
Joseph McGuire, President/Janitor at World’s End Publishing; producer of the upcoming post-apocalypse skirmish warband game This Is Not a Test.

https://www.facebook.com/TNTGame

http://worldsendpublishing.com/

Offline theoldschool

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2008, 09:59:39 PM »
Quote from: "Super_Gibbon"
According to theoldschool, who used the tufts on his sweet Spartans, he got them from International Models who handle Silflor in Europe. He said it might be cheaper to get them from Scenery Express in the US because International Models sells it in smaller sheets.

There was a thread on this over on Steve Dean's forum. According to Antenociti, International Models take the original Silflor sheet and cut it into four, selling each for about the price of the whole sheet [allegedly].
Scenery Express in the US stocks Silflor and will ship to Europe. I will probably use them when I need to restock, it looks like being a lot less expensive plus they have a much wider range of grass types. The buffalo grass looks particularly interesting.
Pat

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2008, 10:13:06 PM »
I'll give them a try. Thanks Pat.  :wink:

Offline Mindenbrush

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2008, 11:57:22 AM »
I just got some from the States through a friend who was back over there for Christmas.

I opened up the pack and what do I find - Made in Germany. A little Googling came up with

http://www.mininatur.de

and this pdf file

http://www.mininatur.de/de/produkte/files/miniNatur-greening-2007.pdf

Antenociti is expecting to stock it in the next 2-4 weeks.

http://www.sd-forum.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=9376
Wargamers do it on a table.
YNWA - It is not a badge, it is a family crest
Montreal Historical Wargaming Club

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2008, 12:36:29 PM »
methinks a purchase or two may be in order :mrgreen:

Offline Antenociti

• Scientist
    • Antenociti's Workshop
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2008, 01:10:17 PM »
Quote from: "theoldschool"
Quote from: "Super_Gibbon"

There was a thread on this over on Steve Dean's forum. According to Antenociti, International Models take the original Silflor sheet and cut it into four, selling each for about the price of the whole sheet [allegedly].
Scenery Express in the US stocks Silflor and will ship to Europe. I will probably use them when I need to restock, it looks like being a lot less expensive plus they have a much wider range of grass types. The buffalo grass looks particularly interesting.
Pat

Well, they take it out of the protective boxes and cut the sheets into four pieces.

They then ramp up the price on each piece so that the equivalent price for a full sheet is £18.00 (4.50 x 4).

If the sheets are then not packaged again in boxes (which from experience they are not) then the tufts tend to be flattened in the post which makes them much harder to use...and kind of pointless as flattened tufts you can do yourself with static grass!

Because IntModels had a UK exclusive though they could charge what they like - and their prices just happen to match exactly the cost of buying from the USA factoring in post and customs/VAT (depending on how much you order - order a lot and it works out cheaper from the USA)

Anyway - by a ridiculously convoluted James Bond plot method we've managed to get a batch in and are adding it to the store tomorrow. Our prices should be about 25% lower than IntModels (cant confirm that until i get the physical invoice to price them up - but that's the discount i've worked out assuming there are no hidden charges anywhere in the order).

We will have in: 2mm, 4mm and 6mm in Spring, Summer, Early Autumn, late Autumn and then the new 2-colour grass in 6mm spring, summer, early autmn, late autumn. Grass paths and foliage will hopefully be added later but it really depends on finding out if our suppliers will be consistent/reliable.

In the past Silflor have vigorously closed down any and all methods of buying Silflor to sell in the UK other than via International Models, always saying that Int Models are the only UK wholsesale dealer - but as Int Models do not supply anybody wholesale it means they get their monopoly and nobody else can get Silflor to sell it. (Silflor sellers in other counties are not allowed to supply outside of their own country - trade that is)

Personally I find that very silly on the part of Silflor as they are loosing sales and even in some cases damaging their product reputation - after all who wants chopped up flattened grass tufts that cost a heck of a lot more than they should?

It's a great product and i really dont understand why silflor limit themselves in the UK to one less-than-stellar retailer.

Still, you can't force somebody to sell so we're stuck with this silly situation.
\"You don\'t need eyes to see, you need vision.\"

Offline Peter@BattleScape

• Scientist
Re: The Gibbon falls victim to Silflor product placements
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2010, 03:29:30 AM »
It is a shame when some of the distributors use their postitions to the detriment of gamers and the hobby in general to line their pockets by jacking the prices. We suffer the same in Australia with some products and one distributor in particular.  Tufts on the other hand are quite reasonably priced. I sell nearly 200 packs a week both Nationally and Internationally as the exchange rate and low postage costs makes it worth while for UK and American hobbyists. I would suggest that before you purchase you ask for the size of the sheets that you are getting as I know of other stores that also cut them down.

Peter
BattleScape Military Books & Miniatures
www.BattleScape.com.au

Offline duhamel

• Mastermind
  • voyageur
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2010, 07:32:45 AM »

I solved the problem of tufts of grass, much too expensive for what it is.
just buy the grass static bag, different colors and sizes. This allows me to have a wide variety of colors making mixtures and have tufts of grass the size I want. you just take a little time to glue the tufts  ;)
“Le courage consiste à avoir peur mais à continuer tout de même.”

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\" The courage consists in being afraid but in continuing all the same. \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2010, 10:27:11 AM »
I'm not exactly sure what all the fuss is with Silflor having never seen them or if I have maybe I just thought they were static grass tufts. Anyone care to show any pictures and explain why these things are worth the money?

Offline Antenociti

• Scientist
    • Antenociti's Workshop
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2010, 11:50:49 AM »
I'm not exactly sure what all the fuss is with Silflor having never seen them or if I have maybe I just thought they were static grass tufts. Anyone care to show any pictures and explain why these things are worth the money?

http://www.antenocitisworkshop.com/gbu0-catshow/silflortuftssmall.html

http://www.antenocitisworkshop.com/gbu0-display/silflor.html

time versus money and skill

pre-made tufts save you time and hassle, its that simple.  ;)

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...