Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 01:47:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691076
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 806
Total: 811

Recent

Author Topic: British/India Cavalry for NWF and Sudan ... decisions decisons  (Read 4366 times)

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
I'm expanding my Imperial troops with another cavalry regiment for when we play BP games rather than TS&TF. My army flits between 2nd Afghan War/Malakand and the Sudan campaigns to fit in games against my club-mates' Tribes, Mahdists etc

I'm wanting a 2nd cavalry regiment but i'm undecided whether to go (17th or 21st) Lancers or (19th) Hussars). Or a Bombay Lancer regiment

On balance i would imagine that an Indian Regiment would fit in more with the generic theme. My other Imperial cavalry is Indian though.

Thoughts gentlemen please. I'm thinking Foundry or Perry figures to mix with what i have (incl OG)

Thanks

James

"Ho, ho, ho! Well, if it isn't fat stinking billy goat Billy Boy in poison! How art thou, thou globby bottle of cheap, stinking chip oil? Come and get one in the yarbles, if ya have any yarbles, you eunuch jelly thou!"

Offline Tommy20

• Scientist
Re: British/India Cavalry for NWF and Sudan ... decisions decisons
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 04:23:34 PM »
Don't forget Castaway Arts!
-Tommy

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 04:24:26 PM »
Those Bengal Lancers look nice but unless they have a UK supplier ...
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 04:33:30 PM by H.M.Stanley »

Offline inkydave

• Mad Scientist
  • Usuthu
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2012, 06:55:36 PM »
If North star do mounted versions of their rather tasty 7th Hussars they might fit the bill for the NWF.
Minima maxima sunt

Offline jamesmanto

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2012, 01:50:25 AM »
Well how historically accurate do you want to be?

Always room for another Bengal Lancer regiment. British cavalry regiments apparently were used for interior garrison work and didn't see much of the Frontier. Although in the Sudan and S. Africa you've got lots of space for British cavalry.

I have the Old Glory Boer War British lancers and like them. Also the British dragoons and Mtd Inf in slouch hats. Although the Perry and Empress lancers are very tasty.

James

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2012, 07:15:54 AM »
If North star do mounted versions of their rather tasty 7th Hussars they might fit the bill for the NWF.

Indeed. I was going to add these to Perry mounted Hussars. I still might

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2012, 07:24:41 AM »
Well how historically accurate do you want to be?

Always room for another Bengal Lancer regiment. British cavalry regiments apparently were used for interior garrison work and didn't see much of the Frontier. Although in the Sudan and S. Africa you've got lots of space for British cavalry.

I have the Old Glory Boer War British lancers and like them. Also the British dragoons and Mtd Inf in slouch hats. Although the Perry and Empress lancers are very tasty.

James

I may have my hand forced on this.  :D

I'm looking at expanding my Hill Tribes with some Afghan Regular units. That would narrow my collection,, in theory  ;), to the 2nd Anglo-Afghan War

In which case ... i could be very tempted by those Empress Lancers. It would be a welcome break from all the khaki on the Piffers, Guide Cavalry, Yorks & Lancs and Highlanders (Camerons)

I'm much more a gamer than painter or purist. I like things to be in the right ball-park but i wouldn't lose any sleep about having British Cavalry on the Malakand campaign ,for instance, if that's all i had to use
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 07:31:45 AM by H.M.Stanley »

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2012, 09:02:51 AM »
I fear that the Afghan Regulars (OOP Tiger Miniatures] may be too late for my preferred period of 2nd Anglo-Afghan War after all.

This is what comes of having friends who are doing both sides of the Sikh Wars, Indian Mutiny and 1st Sudan and me stuck in the middle with Pathans and British/Indians

Perry Bengal Lancers would be the safe choice i think for the NWF 1870/1900 which is where i'm at really (but i really wanted British Cavalry [sniff!]). Could i mix Sikh and Muslim BL's in the same unit?

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2012, 09:42:29 AM »
...used for interior garrison work and didn't see much of the Frontier.

The 21st Lancers got into a couple of stiff fights with the Mohmands. There was dismounted action, artillery fire, a village fight, machine guns, and a lance charge across a flooded field and a canal(!). As was their style, the 21st bungled it slightly, but came out on top.

Unfortunately all this was in 1915, so a little outside your period of interest, H.M.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 09:44:03 AM by Plynkes »
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline jamesmanto

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2012, 04:49:17 PM »
<q>I'm much more a gamer than painter or purist. I like things to be in the right ball-park but i wouldn't lose any sleep about having British Cavalry on the Malakand campaign ,for instance, if that's all i had to use</q>

Well then I'd go with the Empress lancers!  :D

They're so gorgeous it'd be churlish of anyone to argue about whether they should actually be there!

Offline The Gray Ghost

• Mastermind
  • Beware The Gray Ghost
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2012, 12:15:33 AM »
My other Imperial cavalry is Indian though.

then I would go with a British unit.
I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it anymore and what is it seems weird and scary.

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2012, 04:03:32 PM »
So, if i theme my Imperial force on the 2nd Afghan War, i can stick in those lovely Empress Lancers. I think we have a winner  :D

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2012, 09:13:51 AM »
I fear that the Afghan Regulars (OOP Tiger Miniatures] may be too late for my preferred period of 2nd Anglo-Afghan War after all...

Happy days!! It sounds like the Afghan Regulars are for 1880/90 which is bang on for me [rubs hands]
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 09:15:27 AM by H.M.Stanley »

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2012, 10:21:34 AM »

Wow never knew these existed. With a little work they might be just the ticket for Venezuela 1895 or Burma.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline argsilverson

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2012, 10:26:01 AM »
If you want to twist the time a little (as I always do) I think you should add the newly arrived Hyderabad cavalry by mutineer miniatures. They look splendid.
http://www.mutineerminiatures.com/catalog/11
check also their mutineers. They have some interesting personalities and maybe some irregulars to mix with your native indian forces.

I would also like to recommend to you, if you do not already know, for some more inspiration on the Indian fronts check also:
http://generalpettygree.blogspot.com/

« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 10:28:41 AM by argsilverson »
argsilverson