Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 11:44:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689796
  • Total Topics: 118296
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Weird War II read/watch/play list (updated 3/22/13)  (Read 110345 times)

Offline Weird WWII

• Mastermind
  • Keep it WEIRD!!!
    • Weird WWII
Re: Weird War II read/watch/play list
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2012, 10:20:12 AM »
Just do a bit of Google-Fu and watch the magic.

Brian
Keep it WEIRD!

Offline Sarmor

• Scientist
    • The Node
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2012, 12:38:46 PM »
Would it be possible to update the list so that the non-books are categorized into occult, super-science etc.? At least put the categories next to the titles.

Some new titles:

Video Games
S2: Silent Storm - super-science - later in the game you encounter Nazi power armour
S3: Silent Storm - Sentinels - super-science/alt. history - fighting a Nazi terrorist organization after the war

Tabletop Games
Incursion - super-science

Comic Books
High Roads - super-science (and batshit crazy)
Hellboy: Seeds of Destruction - occult*
Hellboy: Wake the Devil - occult*
Hellboy: The Conqueror Worm - occult*
Storming Paradise - alt. history
Weird War Tales - occult (earlier issues are only about WW2, later issues have stories about other conflicts too)

* these are only partly WWW2, but if you have included the movie, you should include the comic books.

DVDs
The Keep - occult
SS Doomtrooper - super-science

Offline Xenomrph

• Bookworm
  • Archivist
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2012, 07:50:47 PM »
I could probably re-edit the list for that - I just didn't bother with some of the other categories because they often span more than one. Indiana Jones is primarily occult but has some super-science, and the RPGs and tabletop games tend to have both in some capacity, for example. It was worthwhile to break down the books into categories because there's just so many of them. I'll likely break down the DVDs into at least fiction/nonfiction/"nonfiction" - going further than that might not be necessary, you can probably guess the genre based on the title. :P

Just do a bit of Google-Fu and watch the magic.

Brian
That was a little less helpful than I was hoping for...  :?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 07:55:46 PM by Xenomrph »

Offline Weird WWII

• Mastermind
  • Keep it WEIRD!!!
    • Weird WWII
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2012, 01:57:42 PM »
Your criteria is your own so I left it general so you can determine how to add it or not to YOUR list.

Brian

Offline Xenomrph

• Bookworm
  • Archivist
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2012, 05:47:04 PM »
Yes but it helps me locate the things in the first place if you at least tell me if it's a book/comic/movie or who the author is or something. Like if I search for "the shield" on google I'm obviously going to need more information than just those two words.

I mean I posted a list of 200+ things neatly broken down into easy-to-use categories with authors and titles, making it easy for people using the list to find something in a particular genre, fiction/nonfiction, or type of medium (movie, game, book, comic, etc). It also lets people searching know if they're finding what I intend them to find - if I just had the title "The Day After Tomorrow" or "Swastika", or very-similar titles like "German secret weapons" and "The Nazis and the Occult" (of which there are several on the list) with nothing to clarify it, that's going to come up with a lot of responses on google and Amazon. By providing at least the authors people can know if they're finding the right stuff or not.

Like seriously I'm not trying to start an argument - other people in the thread offered suggestions and at least mentioned if it was a movie/videogame/whatever, or provided an author, or even posted a link. You rattled off 20 titles with no other information about them, some of which that I *did* recognize aren't actually Weird War II.

Offline Xenomrph

• Bookworm
  • Archivist
Re: Weird War II read/watch/play list (updated 4/21/12)
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2012, 01:19:19 AM »
Updated the list with a bunch more stuff, added a new category for eBooks. I much prefer actual physical paper books, but those eBooks are books you can only get in eBook format.

There's a bunch of paper books out there that I'm waffling on getting because they're way, way cheaper as eBooks (we're talking $20 paper book vs $3 eBook).

Offline Jakar Nilson

• Scientist
    • My DeviantArt portfolio
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2012, 02:15:17 AM »
Well, if you're including ebooks, then web-zines should definitely be on the list.

I write and draw my own weird war comic, Alfie's Tenners, which appears in the pages of the free PDF web-zine Aurora:

http://jakarnilson.webs.com/gk_alfie.html
http://dp9forum.com/aurora/
Read "Alfie's Tenners", appearing in Aurora magazine!
Expand your GK forces with cardboard models, available on DriveThruRPG!http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/index.php?cPath=4773_4902
Your ad here, for a low price!

Offline Predatorpt

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Sci-Fi blog - Task Force Thor
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2012, 02:20:20 AM »
Just some books that you don't have in your list (as far as I could see...). They all fall in the Occult part (but I linked to Amazon, so you can make up your mind):

Dogs of War

Wolf's Hour

Night of The Nazi Zombies

Ebook Blood Reich

Ebook Blood of The Reich - A novel - similar name to the above one, but rather different story.

Offline Xenomrph

• Bookworm
  • Archivist
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2012, 08:31:28 AM »
Well, if you're including ebooks, then web-zines should definitely be on the list.

I write and draw my own weird war comic, Alfie's Tenners, which appears in the pages of the free PDF web-zine Aurora:

http://jakarnilson.webs.com/gk_alfie.html
http://dp9forum.com/aurora/
Cool, I'll take a look. :) Thanks!

That reminds me, there's an issue or two of the Fortean Times magazine that deals with Nazi UFOs and whatnot that I've been trying to track down.

Just some books that you don't have in your list (as far as I could see...). They all fall in the Occult part (but I linked to Amazon, so you can make up your mind):

Dogs of War

Wolf's Hour

Night of The Nazi Zombies

Ebook Blood Reich

Ebook Blood of The Reich - A novel - similar name to the above one, but rather different story.
Thanks for the tips!

I've actually got Night of the Nazi Zombies on the list as an eBook, but I might cave and get the paper version just because I really prefer paper copies.

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2012, 09:25:34 AM »
DVD Sky Captains and Pilots of the Future?  ???
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline Predatorpt

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Sci-Fi blog - Task Force Thor
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2012, 02:05:14 PM »
That reminds me, there's an issue or two of the Fortean Times magazine that deals with Nazi UFOs and whatnot that I've been trying to track down...

I'll need to check my magazines, but I have them for sure. One of them has a Nazi knight on the cover...I think.

Anyway, some of the articles can be seen here:

http://www.forteantimes.com/features/articles/4435/the_magical_battle_of_britain.html
http://www.forteantimes.com/features/articles/5407/raiders_of_the_lost_grail.html
http://www.forteantimes.com/features/articles/127/himmlers_fortress_of_fear.html  - the one with the Nazi knight on the cover, from May 2005
http://www.forteantimes.com/features/articles/184/nazi_ufos.html  - the title says it all, "Nazi Ufos!"

And here's another suggestion:

Book:

This one - The Alien Factor - deserves the cover blurb:

The German war machine rolls across Europe, crushing everything in its path. America and her Allies have only recently entered the war, but is seems both sides are too evenly matched. The war could drag on for years, could go either way...until the day the saucer fell like an arrow from the heavens, bringing with it secrets of world-shattering consequence. The Nazis are quick to capture the spacecraft and its unearthly occupants; the Allies send in a suicide squad, a group snidely referred to as 'Logan's Losers' - to either retrieve the aliens and their secrets...or destroy them. Russia, too, learns of the downed UFO and sends their own agent into the heart of Germany. But there is a traitor among the Allied invasion force, working to bring the Allies down from within, and when Logan at last reaches his objective, it is a prisoner of the Third Reich, sentenced to die at the hand of an old, implacable enemy.

The book is written by Stan Lee and there was a movie with similar plot (mentioned by Weird WWII):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zone_Troopers

Offline Xenomrph

• Bookworm
  • Archivist
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2012, 07:46:25 PM »
DVD Sky Captains and Pilots of the Future?  ???
I considered it, and while I love the movie (Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow), Weird War II doesn't really happen in the movie. Yeah the movie is full of weird super-science, but the villain isn't a Nazi, World War II hasn't happened yet (since the movie takes place in the mid 1930s) so I have a hard time counting it as Weird War II.
I didn't count the second Crimson Skies videogame for the same reason - even though Die Spinne (the villains late in the game) are pretty much Nazi offshoots, the game's focus really isn't World War II especially since the game takes place before the war starts.

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2012, 07:56:23 PM »
Okay, t was just that I'd started pulling films out of my main collection to make a new Pulp section next to my historical stuff.  :'(

Offline Xenomrph

• Bookworm
  • Archivist
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2012, 08:00:47 PM »
Okay, t was just that I'd started pulling films out of my main collection to make a new Pulp section next to my historical stuff.  :'(
Don't get me wrong, it's a really fun movie and it totally fits in the "pulp" style. :)

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2012, 08:02:40 PM »
That's okay, there isn't a lot of pulp around, so it will fit there snugly.....................  :D