Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 11:47:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690503
  • Total Topics: 118334
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: New to historicals, need advice on systems and figures  (Read 3096 times)

Offline vintagephreak

• Librarian
New to historicals, need advice on systems and figures
« on: April 08, 2012, 11:50:54 AM »
Hi! After years of fantasy wargaming I would like to try the non-fantasy versions...
So I need advice on which system or set of rules to use for games set in the era of either:

The earlier crusades
The hundred years' war
The thirty years' war

28mm is the scale I'd prefer, and I also need advice on miniature ranges/companies
that best suit the respective eras. I have been pointed toward Pike&Shotte and Foundry/Perrys miniatures which all look good.

Any input appreciated.

Cheers,
Martin

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
Re: New to historicals, need advice on systems and figures
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 11:55:41 AM »
Cheapest army at the moment are an ECW/TYW army from Warlord, Maelstrom will do a cheap army box of them, after that is Perry's Wars of the Roses with a third plastic box due soon.  Perrys also have a nice range for the HYW and Crusades.

Rules are a bit more personal and often expensive.   There are a lot of free sets to get your teeth into out there.  In terms of getting a game, is there a local club that you could watch?

Take a look through the threads on this site, lots of advice and ideas.
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 12:03:41 PM »

Front Rank also have a nice selection of HYW figures 8)
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 12:06:32 PM »
The earlier crusades - Perry Miniatures
The hundred years' war - Perry and Front Rank
The thirty years' war - Perry, Warlord and some of the Old Glory packs. If you like a bit bigger figures, Renegade and Redoubt have fine ranges

Offline Ragnar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 12:11:02 PM »
Rules; agreed that there are many choices out there.  I would though vote for at least a look at the Black Powder/Hail Caesar family, with the ECW supplement almost out and presumably other periods in the pipe, I think the system is reasonably easy to pick up yet fun and challenging.
Gods, monsters and men,
Will die together in the end.

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2012, 12:13:23 PM »
I had thought of the BP sets, not just for the rules, but for the information and ideas.  They are available very cheaply from Amazon.

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2012, 12:19:40 PM »
Such a huge topic really [even confined to those three periods] and entirely subjective. Depends on your budget, time available, how much you like painting etc

My advice, for what its worth, is just pick the army that interests you the most and try to do both sides unless you have a gaming-buddy who is as keen as you are on the same period.

I've been through the WAB process (incl the ECW variant) and would now recommend BP. As i said, its very subjective as to what you want out of a game [Warning: unless you can combine figures with others, you'd need quite a lot of figures for BP unless you used very small looking units]

Have fun whatever you chose
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 01:52:44 PM by H.M.Stanley »
"Ho, ho, ho! Well, if it isn't fat stinking billy goat Billy Boy in poison! How art thou, thou globby bottle of cheap, stinking chip oil? Come and get one in the yarbles, if ya have any yarbles, you eunuch jelly thou!"

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2012, 12:24:59 PM »
It is quite easy to play BP with a smaller army, you just need to lower the unit sizes.

Offline vintagephreak

• Librarian
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2012, 01:03:34 PM »
Thanks for the advice! Btw, does BP gameplay and rules differ widely from Warhammer given its (GW) authors? And is it 100% playable with a smaller no. of models, or mainly meant for large-scale games?

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2012, 01:12:43 PM »
They are very different games, but I have played BP with 6 or so 20 men units and they work well.  :D

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2012, 01:47:04 PM »
BP - i'd say you'd need 8 -12 units (per side) to have a decent game. Of course, the unit size is your choice while you're building up your armies. Its your game  :)

One of the nice things about BP imo is that you don't remove individual figures, unlike WAB and its spin offs

We're having a BP/Napoleonic bash at Maestrom tomo
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 01:51:53 PM by H.M.Stanley »

Offline Ragnar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2012, 11:03:17 PM »
I have played HC where 4 commanders had 4 units of 12 each plus skirmishers and I thought it still worked well and gave you some tactical challenges.

BP/HC do not count individual figures for combat, shooting or casualties, the unit is taken as a whole.  Movement is also more liberal.  Gameplay itself can be quite quick, I have played some BP games were a decision was reached surprisingly quickly.

Offline vintagephreak

• Librarian
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2012, 03:28:45 PM »
  In terms of getting a game, is there a local club that you could watch?

Local club is rubbish, just 40K players with no love for proper paint or scenery...

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2012, 03:39:46 PM »
Martin,

Whereabouts are you, there is likely a member of the forum near who could give you a hand with rules, figures, uniforms, histories, etc.?

John

Offline vintagephreak

• Librarian
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2012, 05:06:01 PM »
Martin,

Whereabouts are you, there is likely a member of the forum near who could give you a hand with rules, figures, uniforms, histories, etc.?

John

Hi John,

I live in Trondheim, Norway. Is there a member location search function on the forum?

Martin