Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:51:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: A good fantasy skirmish campaign system  (Read 2022 times)

Offline maceswinger

• Lurker
A good fantasy skirmish campaign system
« on: April 11, 2012, 04:17:05 PM »
Hey any of you Lead-Heads ( I really do mean that as a compliment!) know a good skrimish system with decent campaign system build in? I know the the default is probably Mordheim. I am also a Song of blades and heroes player and while I enjoy the game I somewhat miss some crunchiness in the campagin the campaign department. Could you recommend some alternatives?

Offline number9

• Librarian
    • breadandwargames
Re: A good fantasy skirmish campaign system
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 05:57:30 PM »
I haven't found a campaign system attached to any skirmish systems that I particularly like. Mostly our group just make up campaigns as needed based on our years of experience with such things. I find advancement campaigns just don't work for our group after the point that someone gets the right combo of skills/equipment and just starts to run away from everyone else, making victory a foregone conclusion barring absurd luck.

The most crunchy campaign we'd play as-is, is the original Mighty Empires. You can still get the PDF here:
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?aId=1400005&_requestid=5804149

Also the Border Princes campaign found in the General's compendium is quite good and a fair bit simpler.

They aren't really for skirmish scales, but I think both could be modified with some time and testing to fit just about anything.

We're running a much simpler map-based system for Confrontation right now that might not be too hard to adapt for other skirmish systems. We custom built it based on the needs of our group and terrain/table variety, but if you saw something there of merit I could pretty easily bundle all the source material up into files you could modify as needed.

Link to it here:
http://www.fariscoombe.tumblr.com

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 06:04:15 PM »
Just to confirm, you are aware of the songs of deeds and glory expansion, right?
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline Cherno

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 06:22:02 PM »
Well, I know that Two Hour Wargames makes a fantasy variant based on theri reaction system, it probably includes a campaign and advancement system too.

I'll be starting a MicroLite20 campaign soon in the DnD Dark Sun setting, you might wanna check that one out. It's basically an extremely simplified version of Dungeons and Dragons and it looks like lots of fun.

http://www.microlite20.net/index.php?title=Main_Page

Offline blacksmith

• Mad Scientist
    • Javier at war
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 07:27:25 PM »
I just finished a full skirmish campaign using Warrior Heroes Armies & Adventurers form Two Hour Wargames. The ruleset could be better edited and sometimes is confusing but they are the best ruleset out there IMO. Anyway, a second part is in the works and I suggest you wait for it, maybe it would be out in a couple of months.
As a teaser you could read my campaign. Scroll down and read up: http://javieratwar.blogspot.com.es/search/label/Campaign.%20Warrior%20Heroes%20Armies%20and%20Adventurers

Offline Faust23

• Mastermind
  • Father of Sorrows
    • Strategic Elite: Skirmish Wargames for the Discerning Strategist
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 04:28:22 PM »
My skirmish game Brink of Battle: Skirmish Gaming through the Ages has a complete and crunchy Campaign system.  Models gain Injuries and Experience and can purchase more soldiers, buy new Traits or increase their Ratings after battles.  Also has Cavalry and War Dog rules to round out your forces.

We're currently ramping up for the play test of the Fantasy rules called Epic Heroes.

Part of the play test will be open to the gaming public at large, and you can definitely join us in that.

You can read more about the system at www.brinkofbattle.com

Be sure to pop over to my Figures by Faust blog and the Brink of Battle blog, as well as Anatoli's Game Room to see the battle reports Alex has done so far. 

You can use the rules as is to play Fantasy games right now.  We did some Period 1 - Ancient/Medieval play testing using our fantasy figures and it worked just fine. 

Enjoy!
Author of the Origins Award 2013 Nominated Brink of Battle: Skirmish Gaming through the Ages; Epic Heroes: Skirmish Gaming in the Realms of Fantasy; and Scrappers: Post-Apocalyptic Skirmish Wargames published by Osprey Games