Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:57:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: WWI East Africa: recommendations (add-on 28mm or 20mm?)  (Read 3427 times)

Offline BillK

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
WWI East Africa: recommendations (add-on 28mm or 20mm?)
« on: April 14, 2012, 09:13:25 PM »
All,

I am looking at starting an East Africa project in 28mm and was curious as to what figures ya'll are using.
... have seen the Brigade Games figs and they are nice.. what mixes well with them?
... am also familiar with Michi's painting here and on The Guild and that sets the bar high for painting this project.

Thanks,
BillK
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 12:14:05 AM by BillK »

Offline Johnnytodd

• Mad Scientist
Re: WWI East Africa: recommendations
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012, 11:50:59 PM »

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 08:05:30 AM »
I don't yet own any of the Woodbine Design WW1 in the East range, but they look good and I've heard good things about them. They are apparently fairly compatible with Brigade's figures too, and cover a few specialized types that Brigade doesn't - bombers and the like.

Note that most of the Woodbine range isn't in shorts but in serge, but they can be had in Wolseley helmets, and basic riflemen are available in shorts. I'm not sure about East Africa, but the serge uniform was worn in some theatres; I've got some great photos of Brits in serge and Wolseley helmets in Iraq, Persia and far southern Russia.

I've got about 30 or so of the Brigade Brits, they really are nice figures. Need to get a few more packs of riflemen to round out a proper platoon at some point.

Offline Huascar

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 10:13:14 AM »
Personally I use 10mm for East Africa, but for 28mm you might want to look at Tiger Miniatures and Askari in addition to Brigade and Pulp.

Good luck with the project

Offline BillK

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2012, 06:59:25 PM »
Brigade, Pulp, Woodbine (like those), Tiger and Askari (still have to check those out). Thanks Guys.

Oh, for some good reading not of the mainstream grab a copy of the The Lean Brown Men: Experiences In East Afrika During the Great War with the 25th Royal Fusiliers The Legion of Frontiersman by Buchanan.

Offline markiemark

• Librarian
    • Tabletop-buildings.com
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 06:42:20 AM »
maybe some miniatures from artizan designs...

http://www.artizandesigns.com/list.php?man=2&page=1

regards,
mark

Offline BillK

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
Re: WWI East Africa: recommendations (add-on 28mm or 20mm?)
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 12:14:45 AM »
Guys, are any of you doing this theater in 20mm? What are the options?

Offline Stu

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2012, 03:43:36 AM »
HaT has had a couple of useful sets sitting the wings for quite some time now, much to the annoyance of those of us who want them.

Offline WillieB

• Mastermind
  • Gotcha!
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2012, 04:16:57 PM »
Started this project a few years ago but never finished it. Will do some time soon ... :D

Brigade , alas, has only two east Africa  (European) German packs so if you want some variety in your figures it's conversion time.
Considering the European uniforms didn't last very long you could easily do head swops ( helmets and bushats) with the German Askaris. Gives you an additional 12 or so figures.
Some of the early war Artizan Germans can be quite easily converted to East African troops.

Battle Honours has a pack of German East African troops but they are rather small compared to Brigade.
Tiger Miniatures are bigger and frankly not up to the same quality. Some useful bits however like the mountain gun.
Some of the Brigade  (German) Asian packs also provide good basic Schutztruppe.
Brigade Turks with, again, a head swop. Figures are practically identical except for the helmets. Best way to get some firing figures.
The Copplestone Schutztruppe are positively giants and have an earlier uniform.

Boer infantry from different manufacturers.

British/ Commonwealth troops are better catered for by Brigade, but take a look at Woodbine for additional troops.

Panic, Chaos and Disorder. My job here is done

Offline Leapsnbounds

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2012, 02:28:27 AM »
 I have found that most of the ranges mix well, Brigade Games, Copplestone, Pulp.  It is true that Ihave done a lot of convesions but the pride of my East African Army are the sailors from Copplestone and Brigade Games.