Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 01:31:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: WW1 East Africa Book Recommendations  (Read 3258 times)

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
WW1 East Africa Book Recommendations
« on: October 28, 2013, 10:41:16 PM »
I keep coming up against a bit of a brick wall sadly, trying to find some good, affordable books on the subject that are relatively accessible yet also fairly comprehensive.

I've got the Osprey 'Armies in east Africa 1914-18' book, which is the usual decent concise history with pretty pictures.

Looking for something a little more toothy I bought 'The Forgotten Front', which was a bit disappointing really and consisted of reams and reams of what looked like a bland academic study. I have heard it was basically the writer's PhD, which was published apparently without sufficient editorial input or any half-decent maps or even any orders of battle (luckily the Ospreys book had maps and OOB's).

I'm about to download 'The War in Africa and the Far East, 1914-17' onto the Kindle (at £3.05 I reckon it's got to be worth a punt ... but why stop at 1917?), so fingers crossed that's half tidy.

Does anyone have any other recommendations that I don't need a new mortgage to afford? I'm particularly interested in the part played by Gen Northey's 'Northern Rhodesia and Nyasaland' force.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Skyven

• Scientist
  • Wargaming on Skye
Re: WW1 East Africa Book Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, 10:43:08 AM »
Tip and Run by Edward Paice ISBN 9780753823491 (check out Book Depository for a better price than Amazon.co.uk).

Slightly more academic approach, and accordingly more expensive for a much slimmer tome, is The First World War in Africa by Hew Strachan ISBN 9780199257287 (If you want to know about the start of the war as a whole, go for his larger book, The First World War Volume One To Arms  ISBN 978-0199261918 which covers North Africa, and the much neglected Senussi Campaign, as well.

There is also The Great War in Africa by Byron Farwell ISBN 9780393305647.

The only book on WWI in Africa I have read that I would not recommend is Mimi and Toutou Go Forth by Giles Foden.

My Reminiscences of East Africa by General Von Lettow-Vorbeck is worth a read, it is reproduced by several publishers -- Naval & Military Press ISBN 9781843429500 or Leonaur ISBN 978-0857064189.

BTW Naval & Military Press is a good place to look for personal accounts of the war and official histories.

Offline northtroll

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2013, 01:57:58 PM »
I'd definitely recommend farwell's Great War In Africa. It's a very easy read, full of excellent information, presented in a very enjoyable manner. Another I would recommend is Battle for the Bundu. I don't remember the author, but it is available on Amazon.  There's a biography of Richard Meinetzerhagen (sp?) that is also quite good.

Offline TheBlackCrane

• Mad Scientist
    • Tales of the Black Crane
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2013, 02:25:36 PM »
I'd also add my voice to the recommendations of Farwell's 'The Great War in Africa'.

Another I would recommend is Battle for the Bundu. I don't remember the author

That would be Charles Miller.

Also Hew Strachan's 'First World War in Africa', also already mentioned, is worth a look too.

There is of course 'The History of World War One' series - Africa is covered in 'The Balkans, Italy and Africa 1914-1918' by David Jordan. That series caught my eye because the Eastern Front volume runs from 1914-1920, so though I've not read the Africa one it might be worth looking at.

I think there might be a personal account covering the Nyasaland force, I know of one for the KAR, but I'll have a hunt around.

If you don't mind second-hand copies, abebooks.co.uk or abebooks.com is a good place to look too - I've bought books for less then a £1 from abe, in fine condition.

Also see this thread
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=43770.0
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 02:30:44 PM by TheBlackCrane »

Offline yancey5

• Bookworm
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2013, 02:40:23 PM »
I would recommend Battle for the Bundu and Tip and Run, bothexcellant reads!

Offline Big Martin Back

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2013, 04:43:17 PM »
I'd second the recommendation of Tip & Run.
Tutenes, Atque Cujus Exercitus?

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2013, 07:14:36 PM »
I'd seen 'Tip and Run' and the reviews seemed favourable, so thanks guys you've made my mind up. I'll probably go for that then as a priority.

Looks like 'The Great War in Africa' needs to be bought, too.

They're both on the Crimbo list as of now. No, I don't mind second hand books at all, in fact I tend to start shopping there first these days. Abebooks I've bought from a few times, as well as The Book Depository and others.

Thanks again guys, most helpful. This probably means some KAR and Rhodesian & Nyasaland paramilitaries are on the cards for the New Year ... that lead pile is waxing once more.

Offline juergen c. olk

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2013, 01:13:44 AM »
 "Guerilla' by Edwin P. Hoyt,and " The Germans Who Never Lost"about the Konigsberg crew campaign  by same author ,"the Phantom Flotilla'  by Peter Shankland,   " The Battle of Tanga 1914'by Ross Anderson, "KAR"-kings african rifles,by Malcom Page,"On to Kilimanjaro"by Brian Gardner,"The East African Mounted Rifles"by C.J.Wilson,"The Lean Brown Men" the 25th royal fusiliers-legion of frontiersmen, by Angus Buchanan,"Warrior" the legend of Richard Meinertzhagen by Peter hathaway Capstick,"Military Operations" "East Africa"(British) thru Battery Press,and "The South Africans with Gen. Smuts in G.E.Africa"1916" thru Battery Press,if you know german I have lots more,it is a great campaign,and there are even more books on specific units like the Nigerians and gold coast regt.,'s Battery press has alot of these books."Heia Safari" and good luck.